Jim Boeheim hits, kills pedestrian

runthebone

Story below

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/26045948/syracuse-jim-boeheim-involved-fatal-car-accident

Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim was driving a car that hit a pedestrian on a highway, killing the man, Syracuse police said in a statement Thursday.

Jorge Jimenez, 51, was outside a car on Interstate 690 after the vehicle was involved in an unrelated accident due to bad weather. Jimenez was a passenger in that car, which struck the guardrail and came to rest in the middle of the road. The occupants exited the vehicle and moved to the side of the road.

Boeheim's car attempted to avoid the vehicle in the road and struck Jimenez after 11 p.m. ET on Wednesday. Police were then called to the scene.

Field sobriety and alcohol sensor tests were performed on Boeheim and the driver of the other vehicle and came back negative, police said in the statement. Police said speeds could not be determined, but Onondaga County District Attorney Bill Fitzpatrick told WSYR that Boeheim was traveling at the proper speed for the highway.

No traffic citations were issued, but the investigation is active and ongoing, according to police. Boeheim is cooperating with the investigation.

Boeheim, 74, had coached the Orange against Louisville at the Carrier Dome earlier Wednesday night.

Syracuse PD Statement:

The Syracuse Police Department investigates a fatal crash. On Wednesday, February 20, 2019, at about 11:22 P.M., the Syracuse Police Department responded to 690 East near Thompson Road for a crash. Upon Officers arrival, they found a 51 year old victim, Jorge Jimenez, of Syracuse who had been struck by a vehicle. The victim was transported to Upstate University Hospital where he was later pronounced dead.

The Syracuse Police Department Traffic Section commenced an investigation. As a result of that investigation so far, it was revealed that the victim was an occupant in a vehicle that had lost control on the highway striking a guard rail. The occupants then exited the vehicle and proceeded to walk on the highway within close proximity to that vehicle. An oncoming vehicle noticed the disabled car and tried avoiding the vehicle which was in the middle of the road. As a result, the driver, James Boeheim 74, of Fayetteville NY struck the victim who was standing on the side of the road. Both drivers remained on scene and are cooperating with this investigation. Field sobriety and alco-sensor tests for both drivers were negative for any signs of impairment. Reconstruction of the scene will be performed and speeds cannot be determined at this time. No Uniformed Traffic Tickets have been issued at this time.

28 minutes ago, TornACL said:

Did they call a charge or a block?

Seems like Traveling would be a slam dunk.

Edit:  I like how police have repeatedly said his speed hasn't been determined, but the local DA has already declared him to have been at "the proper speed."

Edited by clapclapclap
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

Seems like Traveling would be a slam dunk.

Edit:  I like how police have repeatedly said his speed hasn't been determined, but the local DA has already declared him to have been at "the proper speed."

That's exactly the kind of thing I mean.  

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Didn’t Beoheim pee his pants during a game this year? Are we sure he’s all there mentally, or should even have a drivers license at this point? 

Well according to the shart thread, we have people shitting themselves regularly around here.  What's a little piss in comparison?

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 1:55 PM, Burt Macklin said:

Didn’t Beoheim pee his pants during a game this year? Are we sure he’s all there mentally, or should even have a drivers license at this point? 

If that's his wife pictured upthread, I'd let her pee in my pants. Just sayin'.

I missed this Thursday, so I was a bit confused when I read the ESPN headline, "Boeheim to coach Saturday after fatal car crash." The opening sentence didn't help: "Syracuse head coach Jim Boeheim will coach in Saturday's game against Duke, three days after being involved in a fatal car accident."

• 2 weeks later...