Peter Tork RIP

Gil Bang

On 2/21/2019 at 12:20 PM, Gil Bang said:

I just read that Stephen fucking Stills auditioned for the show and didn’t get it.

They weren't hiring musicians. They were hiring relatively clean cut non-threatening actors to play musicians. Stills looked like a doper. The Monkees would have been less successful with him than with the group they selected, cause he always looked like the guy who might pull a knife on you in a parking lot. The twelve and thirteen year olds they were targeting wanted bubble gum music, not protest songs.

4 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

So did Charles Manson.

Read some interesting stuff on the Monkees. They were a big part of the Ventura Canyon scene, but the studio kept it under wraps to keep their image clean. During their brief run, they had a lot more success than the "serious" musicians, many of whom would hang out with them off camera. Manson was a hanger on all over the place, and played in several bands. No surprise he'd show up at an open audition. 

People may have dissed the Monkees, but Screen Gems wasn't out to make art, they were out to make money, and when Don Kirschner was handling them, they were outselling the Beatles. They harmonized pretty well, and quite a few of their songs still get air play. 

If you haven't watched their swan song, Head, it's worth it.  I love it, some great tunes, and a pretty subversive flick.

And I just watched this yesterday, a great interview with their director Bob Rafelson, learned a lot about both the movie and the TV show (one reason they didn't hire Stephen Stills, he came in and wanted them to give him a hair transplant and some new teeth!  Bob said ain't nobody got time for that...).

Edited by UTCzech III