Texas to play ULL in 2021

Machinator

6 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Yes. I am aware that that one season is especially shitty with Arkansas being our "blue blood". But before we had one middling P5 team (Maryland), one blue blood (USC), and one G5 team (Tulsa). Now we seem to be going with two G5 teams. I am not happy about that.

I agree.  One cupcake a year is enough.  The answer is to stop losing to Cal, Maryland, BYU, and the like, not to stop scheduling them.

Edited by WBT
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, WBT said:

I agree.  One cupcake a year is enough.  The answer is to stop losing to Cal, Maryland, BYU, and the like, not to stop scheduling them.

Meh. We already handicap ourselves enough by not employing full-blown $EC-style tactics in recruiting, or letting criminals and illiterates into the program like our neighbors north of the river. I'm fine with making this particular sacrifice to keep pace with other CFB powers.

Edited by Machinator
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, msucolt45 said:

Last time the Ragin Cajuns beat aggy was in Lafayette. Jake Delhomme was the QB and Stokley (HC’s son was the WR). Both played in the NFL - college time was early 2000’s.
aggy sucked that year too!

That was the game aggy was in mourning for tupac right?

6 hours ago, texifornia said:

Which is kind of annoying. Berkeley is a cool place to play, and College Park should have been before they moved it to the dump in Landover. It feels like we're more connected to the rest of CFB when we play those games. 

Incentives being what they are, I get it, but it's a loss.

Playing Cal and Maryland were always losses, too.

• Like 1

Not criticizing our future schedule in 9/10 coming years, but the attitude by many on this thread about copying the SEC bullshit practices is invalid. There has been perception for over a decade that the SEC is some minor league of the NFL, and that any team emerging with 10 wins, regardless of their OOC schedule, is a Top 5 team. Conversely, the national opinion of the Big 12 is that we are garbage, with the exception of OU and (when good) Texas. Going 10-2 in the Big12 will never be viewed as equal to going to 10-2 in the SEC, unless maybe if your OOC lineup was damn compelling. If we can ever get into a more respected conference, this watered down OOC theory may be correct. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Well that sucks. Arkansas better not still be garbage by then.

When are they not garbage? Those fucks have been swept by Aggy (I think) since Aggy joined the SEC. They are fucking losers.

But it will be fun to play them again in the regular season (I'm trying to forget about the 2014 bowl game).

29 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

When are they not garbage? Those fucks have been swept by Aggy (I think) since Aggy joined the SEC. They are fucking losers.

But it will be fun to play them again in the regular season (I'm trying to forget about the 2014 bowl game).

What bowl game

7 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Generally it is best to just forget everything 2014-2016 except the 2015 OU game.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Not criticizing our future schedule in 9/10 coming years, but the attitude by many on this thread about copying the SEC bullshit practices is invalid. There has been perception for over a decade that the SEC is some minor league of the NFL, and that any team emerging with 10 wins, regardless of their OOC schedule, is a Top 5 team. Conversely, the national opinion of the Big 12 is that we are garbage, with the exception of OU and (when good) Texas. Going 10-2 in the Big12 will never be viewed as equal to going to 10-2 in the SEC, unless maybe if your OOC lineup was damn compelling. If we can ever get into a more respected conference, this watered down OOC theory may be correct. 

Agreed and it's not like the CFP committee really holds OOC scheduling that high in it's ever changing pecking order. Texas is doing it right, Arkansas does suck but will be a big game because of the old SWC days.  Playing Bama, tosu, Michigan, GA in the next ten years is worth playing vs a ULL, Rice. 

28 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Agreed and it's not like the CFP committee really holds OOC scheduling that high in it's ever changing pecking order. Texas is doing it right, Arkansas does suck but will be a big game because of the old SWC days.  Playing Bama, tosu, Michigan, GA in the next ten years is worth playing vs a ULL, Rice. 

Agreed. If we were playing an analogue of Arkansas-- someone like Missouri, or all of the schools we got whipped by over the past ten years (BYU, Ole Miss, Cal)-- it would suck, but Arkansas is still Arkansas. That game means something so it gets elevated above "playing a P5 school that will never win its conference but is dangerous enough to beat you". 

CFB scheduling developed a fundamental problem when the sport went to 12 regular season games but retained essentially the same national championship criteria (be unbeaten or as close to it as possible). No program with national aspirations is going to sign up for two regular-season non-conference games that it reasonably expects it could lose. One is worth the risk. You can still get into the CFB playoff with a loss, and playing in those games is attractive to fans and recruits. It sells tickets, helps recruiting, and creates/maintains national relevance (unless you lose 38-3). Two of them really isn't, so that extra regular season game ended up being nothing but filler. In the SEC, it's FCS teams; for us, it's the lowest FBS teams we can scrounge. 

The sport was way better before it fully outgrew being primarily regional-- an era I would define as pre-Coalition/BCS but post-Supreme Court decision re: games on TV. There was a brief window where televised games was limited enough that programs felt like their non-conference games had to be compelling in order to get on TV. Some of this overlapped the precise Supreme Court decision, but in 1984 Texas played Auburn and Penn State in addition to OU non-conference. In 1989, we played Penn State and Colorado. Michigan played Notre Dame AND Miami in 1988. Ohio State played Alabama and Washington in 1986. USC played OU and Notre Dame in 1988. I miss that. It's irrevocably gone, nothing will change it, but the sport was more enjoyable when the regular season wasn't an NFL-like slog through meaningless games, which is kind of how it feels now.