Abducted in Plain Sight

Kyle

Anyone seen this after it dropped on Netflix? It is one of the craziest stories I've ever heard. This dude seduced mom, dad, and daughter and kidnapped the daughter a couple times. It is simultaneously disturbing, fascinating, and oddly entertaining. I mean even in the documentary the parents are almost flippant.

43 minutes ago, BayouBill said:

Parents should be in prison.

This.

They portray themselves as a victim of this guy.  Another way to look at it is they let the guy they were both having an affair with have sex with their teenage daughter.  They should have been charged with sex trafficking.

13 hours ago, Kyle said:

I can only speculate that Mormons in rural Utah in the 1970s had some different views on relationships than the mainstream. No excuse but the only thing that connects dots for me.

BTW - what was up with all the phone call recordings?

the fbi had the phones tapped.

16 hours ago, Kyle said:

I can only speculate that Mormons in rural Utah in the 1970s had some different views on relationships than the mainstream.

This cult practiced polygamy in the 1800's and some of the more radical groups still do so today. This group is the picture you would see in Webster's dictionary under the term dysfunctional family. A dysfunctional family is a family in which conflict, misbehavior, and often child neglect or abuse on the part of individual parents occur continuously and regularly, leading other members to accommodate such actions. As to the documentary, the only redeeming value I derived from watching is a confirmation of my belief that sex abuse and codependency tends to victimize families and the organized religions that ignore/endorse it are worthy of the lowest level of hell in Dante's inferno.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, pch said:

This cult practiced polygamy in the 1800's and some of the more radical groups still do so today. This group is the picture you would see in Webster's dictionary under the term dysfunctional family. A dysfunctional family is a family in which conflict, misbehavior, and often child neglect or abuse on the part of individual parents occur continuously and regularly, leading other members to accommodate such actions. As to the documentary, the only redeeming value I derived from watching is a confirmation of my belief that sex abuse and codependency tends to victimize families and the organized religions that ignore/endorse it are worthy of the lowest level of hell in Dante's inferno.

I dunno, man. My mechanic, Mike, is a Mormon. Mike the Mormon Mechanic. He's a very solid guy. He has actually adopted a  quadraplegic and a paraplegic  kid, in addition to the four that he has. Very fair rates. Has way more business than he knows what to do with. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

I dunno, man. My mechanic, Mike, is a Mormon. Mike the Mormon Mechanic. He's a very solid guy. He has actually adopted a  quadraplegic and a paraplegic  kid, in addition to the four that he has. Very fair rates. Has way more business than he knows what to do with. 

Probably because he gives every customer a handjob. 

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Does he have a gun and ammunition just inside the doorway? 

• Like 1

I lived in SLC as a non Mormon for a few years.  On a personal level, you would be hard pressed to find a more helpful and neighborly group of people.  I genuinely liked every Mormon I worked with.  As an organized religion with extreme influence in local and state politics, they are kind of fucked up.

These parent’s actions aren’t that surprising to me.  Wrong undoubtedly, but not surprising.  Mormons can be very naive and give others the benefit of the doubt to a fault.  And the level of shame they would be subjected to in Mormon society if all was known would be extreme.  The average Utah/Idaho Mormon is basically an easy mark for manipulation.

On 2/22/2019 at 7:16 AM, BayouBill said:

if it wasn't such dark subject matter, I would've thought it was a spoof. 

I genuinely wondered that during the dad’s reveal. Then I felt bad that I laughed out loud at this pathetic sad sack shamefully confessing to maybe the worst thing he’s ever done (besides letting his daughter get molested, raped, and kidnapped twice).

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Goredho said:

I lived in SLC as a non Mormon for a few years.  On a personal level, you would be hard pressed to find a more helpful and neighborly group of people.  I genuinely liked every Mormon I worked with.  As an organized religion with extreme influence in local and state politics, they are kind of fucked up.

These parent’s actions aren’t that surprising to me.  Wrong undoubtedly, but not surprising.  Mormons can be very naive and give others the benefit of the doubt to a fault.  And the level of shame they would be subjected to in Mormon society if all was known would be extreme.  The average Utah/Idaho Mormon is basically an easy mark for manipulation.

Did any of them try to give you a handy? 

• Like 1

Watching that confession, I fully believe he did way more than just an HJ... but his conscience let him off the hook if that was all he confessed because he thought it would be something people would accept without labeling him as fully homosexual (nttawwt).  He definitely had sex with or at minimum BJ for that dude. 

God. What a fucked up story all around.  

On 2/24/2019 at 5:52 PM, Hornius Emeritus said:

No disrespect intended as I have a number of friends who are LDS memebers and as you say, are very ethical.  Wonder if Mike formed a band in 1985?

18 hours ago, CurlyDumps said:

I genuinely wondered that during the dad’s reveal. Then I felt bad that I laughed out loud at this pathetic sad sack shamefully confessing to maybe the worst thing he’s ever done (besides letting his daughter get molested, raped, and kidnapped twice).

i feel this post on every level. my exact reactions and sentiments. as he's describing jerking another guy off as "the worst thing he's ever done", i find myself bewildered, bemused, and confused. first off, how can anyone as old as you have never done anything worse than jerking someone off upon request? second, YOU LITERALLY INVITED YOUR DAUGHTER'S RAPIST INTO HER BED you fucking loon. Do I feel sorry for you? Am I angry with you? Do i pity you? There's so much inexplicable shit going on here that I can't even feel my own feelings properly. 

Edited by Goo Punch

21 hours ago, Goredho said:

yeah this sociopath found a whole family full of marks. fuckin marky mark and the marky bunch. 

On 2/25/2019 at 9:36 PM, Goo Punch said:

i feel this post on every level. my exact reactions and sentiments. as he's describing jerking another guy off as "the worst thing he's ever done", i find myself bewildered, bemused, and confused. first off, how can anyone as old as you have never done anything worse than jerking someone off upon request? second, YOU LITERALLY INVITED YOUR DAUGHTER'S RAPIST INTO HER BED you fucking loon. Do I feel sorry for you? Am I angry with you? Do i pity you? There's so much inexplicable shit going on here that I can't even feel my own feelings properly. 

It's like every time they were faced with a choice they made the worst decision for them and their child OVER AND OVER AND OVER again. How they didn't think that B (which annoys me to no end that the mom called him that too) didn't rape their daughter when he "took her on a trip" and MARRIED her is beyond me. 

When the graphic went up that he slept in her bed 4 nights a week for a month and a half AFTER she came home for the first time literally made me physically ill. 

• Like 2

One 

3 hours ago, JimmyHoffa said:

How they didn't think that B (which annoys me to no end that the mom called him that too)

That reminds me of something else that jumped out at me.  How when the mom talked about her affair with "B,"  her eyes would light up like some love-struck schoolgirl. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JimmyHoffa said:

It's like every time they were faced with a choice they made the worst decision for them and their child OVER AND OVER AND OVER again. How they didn't think that B (which annoys me to no end that the mom called him that too) didn't rape their daughter when he "took her on a trip" and MARRIED her is beyond me. 

When the graphic went up that he slept in her bed 4 nights a week for a month and a half AFTER she came home for the first time literally made me physically ill. 

Yeah, I think I'm gonna pass on this doc.  Thanks for the heads up.

6 hours ago, JimmyHoffa said:

It also didn't help when Jan said they had sex "over 200 times" during the entire period. 

I'd need to re-watch to confirm but I'm 95% sure that's what she said.

Just now, Wally Pryor said:

It also didn't help when Jan said they had sex "over 200 times" during the entire period. 

I'd need to re-watch to confirm but I'm 95% sure that's what she said.

It was unfortunately. 

I am pretty amazed she came off as the most normal after the shit her parents allowed her to go through.  

On 2/25/2019 at 11:37 AM, BlueGreySky said:

Watching that confession, I fully believe he did way more than just an HJ... but his conscience let him off the hook if that was all he confessed because he thought it would be something people would accept without labeling him as fully homosexual (nttawwt).  He definitely had sex with or at minimum BJ for that dude. 

God. What a fucked up story all around.  

I agree and I wouldn't doubt if it happened at around the same time or a little before he started nailing his wife. 

This is easily the most fucked up/bizzare situation I've been made aware of.  The parents are just insanely stupid.  I don't think they're evil, but I do think they're colossal fucking idiots.

Really unfortunate how little "B" was held accountable.  What a fucking monster.

Really easy to see how he could manipulate the kid, though.

22 hours ago, CurlyDumps said:

One 

That reminds me of something else that jumped out at me.  How when the mom talked about her affair with "B,"  her eyes would light up like some love-struck schoolgirl. 

I thought the same thing. I was after he had abducted her twice, and he calls and she's like "hey B." I would have expected if that was a bleep for "fucking bastard," but she was all sweet and glad to catch up. She must have been horny given her hubby likes the D.

• 3 years later...

necrobump

i stumbled across this today. i had never seen this thread or knew anything about this case. never heard of these people. 

i just assumed it was another Elizabeth Smart-type story...

lee-corso-not-so-fast.gif.37cb912a1d4c0d93aa0f7f812485e91a.gif

64301236_200w(9).gif.8174bf3fb19ef072c64078c4c20a9b97.gif574252313_200(4).gif.24e3dbc44e5a1fb444de91b699879279.gif5fmns6.gif.55de0cc59b04c8390c075280c79d697d.gif790345660_tenor(17).gif.8e354be762e48e5ac94d1bd8a58418c0.gif

i had to keep rewinding bc i would hear what they said but i could barely process it, then i'd think 'nooo....surely i misheard that!'...

nope. that's what s/he said.

just...wow 😳

yeah...i too think there's something inherent in the devout LDS faith that somehow makes people like this simultaneously very naive and gullible and also somewhat twisted in their views of sexual/marital relationships. 

absolutely nuts.

necrobump
i stumbled across this today. i had never seen this thread or knew anything about this case. never heard of these people. 
i just assumed it was another Elizabeth Smart-type story...

lee-corso-not-so-fast.gif.37cb912a1d4c0d93aa0f7f812485e91a.gif
64301236_200w(9).gif.8174bf3fb19ef072c64078c4c20a9b97.gif574252313_200(4).gif.24e3dbc44e5a1fb444de91b699879279.gif5fmns6.gif.55de0cc59b04c8390c075280c79d697d.gif790345660_tenor(17).gif.8e354be762e48e5ac94d1bd8a58418c0.gif

i had to keep rewinding bc i would hear what they said but i could barely process it, then i'd think 'nooo....surely i misheard that!'...
nope. that's what s/he said.
just...wow
yeah...i too think there's something inherent in the devout LDS faith that somehow makes people like this simultaneously very naive and gullible and also somewhat twisted in their views of sexual/marital relationships. 
absolutely nuts.

It’s that magic underwear they wear. If you’ve done much research into Mormonism it’s a really strange cult built around the American society of the 1820’s and 30’s. They are very naive about sex in some ways, tend to be subservient to the church and leadership, and very concerned about acceptance of the membership. No doubt the polygamy revelation came about as Joseph smith simply wanted some strange, and he built it into this strange cosmology they have. They are not a Christian sect.