Game 27: Texas at OU, 11 AM, ESPNU

Machinator

46 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

Negotiate a cheaper buyout? Do you generally accept less money than you’re owed from your job?

Here's one example where less could be better for Shaka.....

If Shaka's contract has an offset, Texas could drop offset, pay 70-75 of buyout immediately in a lump sum and Shaka can coach again at another school immediately..... 

17 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

It tells me a lot that posters on here arent even mad anymore... just resigned

This is the reason I’m coming around to Shaka being fired this year. I didn’t believe because of the cost of it but fan apathy is more expensive than 12.9million. If there is a hint of apathy in the locker room you have to move on him. 

• Like 1

Such an epic failure at end of the OU game today.  Down 5, under a minute, with the ball and we don't call a time out.  Ok, i get it, we get bailed out by a deep 3.  Now, under 30 seconds, down 2 and we get the ball back. Again no timeout called and we cant get a shot off, nearly a shot clock violation.  Then , to cap  off Shaka's idiocy as a head coach, we force a foul and OU misses the front end.  We grab rebound and again, we're down 2, with ball and of course no timeout and we cant get a shot off (shot is blocked).

He is so bad I cannot stand watching Texas BB b/c the incompetence is unreal for a guy who is paid what he gets.

• Like 1

He's beaten us down with the sheer relentlessness of his mediocrity. He's honed it to a crystalline degree of perfection that numbs the mind.   

CDC wants top 10 programs across the board. We recruit like a top 10 program. We pay our coach like a top 10 program. We are not, however, anywhere close to being even a top 25 program.
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Horn80 said:

It’s telling they have to go all the way back to 2011 Final Four to talk about Shaka’s coaching success.  Cough, cough, what about the last 9 years?

more like, "what about literally everything else in his entire career"? you cannot make a fact-based argument that says that Shaka Smart is even an average coach. I've never seen a coach do so little with so much talent, both at VCU and Texas. He had more talent than everyone else in the CAA and the A 10 and he couldn't win one conference title in 6 years (meanwhile all of the VCU coaches before/after him rolled out of bed and won the conference like it was nothing), and he's recruited better than 95% of major conference teams and yet his teams are awful. They are awful. And they are awful to watch. Stupid, undisciplined, terrible offensively, lacking in skill, and poorly developed. This dude has *never* been a good college coach, much less one who deserves to make $3M/year at Texas. Get him out of here. 

12 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

absolutely hideous fucking coaching down the stretch.  did not get one good shot in the last 2:30.

Peak Shaka right there.

12 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

One of the most un-clutch teams ever. C'est la vie.

Not the team. The coach. Shaka has this affect on all his players. Give a quality coach this roster and they would execute much, much better down the stretch.

7 hours ago, Gut Wagon said:

I’m as disinterested in Texas basketball as I’ve been since Kaiser Bob. Thanks, Shaka. 

Same here.  I knew the game was on.  Hell, I was sitting in front of the tv.  While watching Gold Rush Alaska, I flipped over twice to check the score.  Yes, Gold Rush Alaska.

5 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:
18 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

One of the most un-clutch teams ever. C'est la vie.

Not the team. The coach. Shaka has this affect on all his players. Give a quality coach this roster and they would execute much, much better down the stretch.

You fools, if you'd look at the stats you would know that the team is just statistically unlucky! It has nothing to do with how shitty our corch is!!!

• Haha 1

Just now, Katfid54 said:

You fools, if you'd look at the stats you would know that the team is just statistically unlucky! It has nothing to do with how shitty our corch is!!!

An example: our team is so unlucky that even though they had a timeout coming down the floor with the last possession, they were too unlucky to be able to use it.

Can you even remember a team as unlucky as that?!

I understand the thought process behind not taking a timeout, under certain circumstances. In this specific instance, I'm torn. On the one hand, Texas doesn't have an elite point guard or scorer and it's basically a crapshoot as to whether it's going to get a good shot any particular possession. On the other, the offense runs on ball screens, and the drive-and-kick-option. There's really nothing for Smart to tell them coming out of a timeout other than "run the offense". The players already know who's supposed to handle the ball, who's supposed to screen, where, and why, and what to do coming off of the opponent's variable responses. Calling a timeout in that situation gives the defense a chance to prepare and eliminates any potential transition opportunities (not applicable in this case), and since Shaka wasn't going to run the picket fence at 'em, it really made no difference.

2 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

I understand the thought process behind not taking a timeout, under certain circumstances. In this specific instance, I'm torn. On the one hand, Texas doesn't have an elite point guard or scorer and it's basically a crapshoot as to whether it's going to get a good shot any particular possession. On the other, the offense runs on ball screens, and the drive-and-kick-option. There's really nothing for Smart to tell them coming out of a timeout other than "run the offense". The players already know who's supposed to handle the ball, who's supposed to screen, where, and why, and what to do coming off of the opponent's variable responses. Calling a timeout in that situation gives the defense a chance to prepare and eliminates any potential transition opportunities (not applicable in this case), and since Shaka wasn't going to run the picket fence at 'em, it really made no difference.

I 100% agree with this. The problem wasn't not calling the timeout, the problem is that our players have no awareness of what to do in this situation.

It's coaching, either way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Goo Punch said:

trusting our players to just make the right play is a recipe for failure.

Yes and no. Right now, under Shaka I agree. With a better coach who spends time doing situational coaching in practice, I strongly disagree. Coleman and Ramey have the Basketball IQ to excel in a situation like that with proper coaching. 

Its the same shit with Charlie. We looked to be in a state of disarray constantly under him, yet Herman was able to execute and with a lot of the same guys just two years later.

When was the last time we had a horrible special teams blunder under Herman? I’m not sure he’s ever had one, yet with Charlie shit like that happened three times a game and plenty of people blamed our players for being stupid. With the exception of guys like Roach and Kris Boyd, it’s not the players, it’s the coach. 

Edited by Burt Macklin