Kareem Abdul-Jabbar article on LeBron

Brian Fantana

2 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

Random trivia is that the Airplane guys wanted to give Kareem $30K for his cameo.  He countered with and got $35K because it was the cost of a Persian rug that he wanted to buy.

You can now rest better with that knowledge. 

I'm sorry, son, but you must have had him confused with someone else. His name is Roger Murdock. 

For you youngsters, before he changed his name to Kareem Abdul Jabbar, he was Lew Alcindor.   Dunking was banned in the NCAA from 1967 to 1976 because of his dominance.  The no-dunking rule is often referred to as the "Lew Alcindor rule".

Edited by Harrison Stafford

42 minutes ago, Harrison Stafford said:

For you youngsters, before he changed his name to Kareem Abdul Jabbar, he was Lew Alcindor.   Dunking was banned in the NCAA from 1967 to 1976 because of his dominance.  The no-dunking rule is often referred to as the "Lew Alcindor rule".

I got reamed one day on another message board because, in complete and total sarcasm, I said "Whatever happened to that Lew Alcindor guy?  He was such a highly regarded recruit and he just never lived up to the hype.  Dude just disappeared."    

Some older gent went bonkers laying into me.  It wasn't until 7 or 8 other posters chimed in 'agreeing' with me that he realized we were just jacking around.  

/CSB 

55 minutes ago, Harrison Stafford said:

Thats mostly true not completely true. The Alcindor rule was ended in 1975 but was extended one more year and was called the Greggym Rule. The NCAA was concerned that some of us might hurt ourselves trying to dunk.  

• Like 1