Boeing 767 Crash in Anhuac

CHEF DIESEL

6 minutes ago, RegularSizedRudy said:

My first thought if there was bad weather is that they got caught up in a microburst.

According to the posters over at airliners.net microburst, wind shear, etc. shouldn’t be a problem for a 767 at 7,000 feet. 

Something went wrong quickly. Same folks referenced above say this flight went from A-OK to impact in less than 20 seconds. 

Bernard

6 minutes ago, RegularSizedRudy said:

My first thought if there was bad weather is that they got caught up in a microburst.

Their last VS shows 330mph straight down. 250 knots ( the speed limit below 10,000) is 288 mph, and they may have been slowed below that for the arrival.

Also, a microburst usually is a danger to aircraft on takeoff and landing. This would be a first I think. 

Things went wrong bad and fast. 

The latest is that they've only recovered one body and haven't located the African-American box.

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/FAA-Cargo-plane-crashed-in-Trinity-By-in-13639542.php

(Warning:  It's the Houston Chronicle, so you'll be bombarded with spam popups and a dozen self-starting videos, despite using an adblocker.  Wish the plane had crashed into the Chron building.)

Edited by clapclapclap
Rosebud

57 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

Doubt that weather was strong enough to bring down a 767 but it might’ve been just rough enough to dislodge some cargo containers. Could’ve been something like that 747 in Afghanistan a few years ago if a few containers slid from one end to the other. 

Extremely doubtful. Amazon cargo containers are night and say different than a 15 ton MRAP breaking free from its straps.

Bernard

6 minutes ago, Bernard said:

Extremely doubtful. Amazon cargo containers are night and say different than a 15 ton MRAP breaking free from its straps.

Bernard

No, but much like the MRAP disabled the 747’s hydraulics or the center engine did the same in the DC-10 Sioux City crash, there might have been some catastrophic failure that rendered the 767 uncontrollable. 

Crappy batteries exploding in Chinese counterfeit products that litter Amazon?
I hate early speculation, but it wasn't weather.

I'll go with mechanical failure of a 27 year old airplane maintained by a known shitty operator. But there I go speculating.

No crewmember puts on their uniform and says today's the day I crash an airplane. This one bothers me more than usual. I didn't know these guys, but I bet chuy and lowery21 may have.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DaysOff said:

I hate early speculation, but it wasn't weather.

I'll go with mechanical failure of a 27 year old airplane maintained by a known shitty operator. But there I go speculating.

No crewmember puts on their uniform and says today's the day I crash an airplane. This one bothers me more than usual. I didn't know these guys, but I bet chuy and lowery21 may have.

Yeah, about that...

The Chairman of the NTSB said earlier that they've got the plane on approximately 5 seconds of surveillance camera footage, including the impact, from nearby Chambers County Jail. He also answered a question later in the interview, that it will be released to the public at some point.

36 minutes ago, 4th and 5 said:

Aremt 767 engines having problems exploding and the FAA ordered detailed examinations?

makes me look forward to my 767 flight to Europe in a few months. 

Just the one uncontained failure on the AA 76 in ORD. 787’s have had some engine issues and Pratt in particular is having issues with their geared turbofans on the Airbus 320 family. The Leaps seem to be doing better.

7 hours ago, Bernard said:

Bernard

Not completely night and day different.  The containers in a FedEx 777 can carry 7.5 tons per container.   The 767 carries less, but still nearly 50 tons of payload capacity.    It probably wasn't unsecured cargo, but I don't think it's completely unfathomable.   Either way, it's sad.  I'll be paying attention to the findings of this one.  

From NBC:

Mesa Airlines identified one of the people on the plane as Sean Archuleta, a captain who had worked with the company since 2013.

“This is a sad day for the entire Mesa Family as we mourn the loss of Captain Sean Archuleta,” said Jonathan Ornstein, the company's CEO.

The other two people had not yet been identified.

I haz a confuse. Why is Mesa involved? Do they just supply pilots to whoever?

1 hour ago, RPM said:

From NBC:

Mesa Airlines identified one of the people on the plane as Sean Archuleta, a captain who had worked with the company since 2013.

“This is a sad day for the entire Mesa Family as we mourn the loss of Captain Sean Archuleta,” said Jonathan Ornstein, the company's CEO.

The other two people had not yet been identified.

I haz a confuse. Why is Mesa involved? Do they just supply pilots to whoever?

He was jumpseating on the Atlas (Prime) Air flight but he worked for Mesa. There are reciprocal agreements that allow pilots from most airlines to ride in the extra cockpit seat on most other airlines.  He was traveling for his own leisure, not on duty. 

3 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

He was most likely commuting to work as he lived in Bogota, and Mesa has a base at IAH. 

And yes, there is a surprising number of crew members who live in Sourh America that commute to work in the US. 

Makes sense with the cartels and all...

41 minutes ago, slorch said:

No threadjack, but....Colombia is actually pretty safe these days.  I have a friend who has an entire business set up there, spends a lot of time there, etc.  The crazy cartel days are largely behind them (brutal enforcement there squeezed the balloon so now we see the worst of them up in...Mexico.  Unintended consequences and all that).

Back to the story -- am going to be curious what that 5 seconds of jail video shows -- will we see an engine on fire?  This one is a bit spooky.  And from what I have read, there was no distress call or chatter on ATC?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Your Mom said:

He was jumpseating on the Atlas (Prime) Air flight but he worked for Mesa. There are reciprocal agreements that allow pilots from most airlines to ride in the extra cockpit seat on most other airlines.  He was traveling for his own leisure, not on duty. 

I saw it reported that he was supposed to start a new job with United next week (this week?) Sad.

1 hour ago, slorch said:

Northern Mexico? Yes. Columbia?  Not so much anymore. My first sim partner lives with his family in Medellin. And you can live like a king down there on US wages in gorgeous country. 

The Jack Colton/Joan Wilder using Pepe’s escape days just aren’t a thing these days. 

Edited by Bobby_Batronic

Northern Mexico? Yes. Columbia?  Not so much anymore. My first sim partner lives with his family in Medellin. And you can live like a king down there on US wages in gorgeous country. 
The Jack Colton/Joan Wilder using Pepe’s escape days just aren’t a thing these days. 

Man, I had a thing for Yoan Wilder back in the day...what’s happened with her is a damn shame.

253e2ccc4b205cd45e69400ef92d9dae.jpg
  • Like 2

I'm pretty ignorant of how planes fly other than the basics but doesn't this have to be something on the lines like the plane breaking up, or something removing the pilot's ability to control it?  It's not like losing 1 engine and potentially even 2 engines would cause it to drop like this rapidly without having communications back to the ATC. 

I guess it didn't break up before crashing or we would be hearing about a much wider debris field, unless a pre-crash breakup was something small and hasn't been discovered yet.

Hopefully, the video will provide some evidence and they should be able to recover enough between the black boxes and aircraft parts to come to a conclusion.  Simple engine failure (even both) wouldn’t cause this.  Extremely unlikely that weather would cause it but could have contributed.  Even if they had hit severe turbulence, the aircraft should fly.  There’s a small chance that cargo straps broke creating a shift in balance, but unlikely that would have caused loss of control.  I would guess the two most likely scenarios would be an explosive device (could have been just cargo that shouldn’t have been taken on an aircraft), or more likely, metal fatigue combined with turbulence resulting in a flight control failing (maybe stabilizer).  The NTSB should be able to get a preliminary answer soon.

• Like 1

I would guess an uncontained engine failure that severed control lines, perhaps the cargo door ( and add on with conversion to freight) had some sort of metal fatigue which severed those same lines, or an issue with a cargo probably not associated with the containers coming loose. 

But it that’s all half assed conjecture. 

Edited by Bobby_Batronic