Boeing 767 Crash in Anhuac

CHEF DIESEL

On 2/24/2019 at 7:49 AM, Bobby_Batronic said:

Social network:

CA Ricky Blakely 

FO Conrad Aska

JS Sean Archuleta 

I’m sure their families know by now. The CA was former XJT, the other two were from Mesa. I believe the JS was just hired at UAL, and has a wife and two children in Bogota.  

I didn’t know them, but have a lot of coworkers who did.  

I get FO, but not the others. CA is Captain?  What is JS?

1 hour ago, MAROON said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lauda_Air_Flight_004

wonder if it was a thrust reverser issue?  I'm assuming at 7000ft that would be pretty damn catastrophic

this guy describes what happens if a thrust reverser deploys, at the 13:10 mark but he earlier describes how military planes will do it in order to descend rapidly:  

• Like 2

hmmm

In January 2014, the U.S.

Federal Aviation Administration issued a directive that ordered inspections of the elevators on more than 400 767s beginning in March 2014; the focus was on fasteners and other parts that can fail and cause the elevators to jam. The issue was first identified in 2000 and has been the subject of several Boeing service bulletins. The inspections and repairs are required to be completed within six years.[196] The aircraft has also had multiple occurrences of "uncommanded escape slide inflation" during maintenance or operations,[197] and during flight.[198][199] In late 2015, the FAA issued a preliminary directive to address the issue.[200]

On 2/23/2019 at 3:22 PM, Crusher said:

Until he showed up at Boot Kickers Bingo in Galveston and hollered BINGO in Black Out and didn't really have it...Then he would die...

Lol, Bootkickers bingo, hits close to home. My best friend (and boss) built and owned the place in League City.

3 hours ago, MAROON said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lauda_Air_Flight_004

wonder if it was a thrust reverser issue?  I'm assuming at 7000ft that would be pretty damn catastrophic

Thrust reverser deployment is something that gets trained for, but it would be a lengthy list of failures to allow one to deploy in flight. And generally the plane can still fly with a thrust reverser deployed and the engine at idle.  They all have to be at idle before deployment. 

Planes that can intentionally deploy them in flight, like a DC-8 or C-17 are rare. 

Edit: I see the 767 hull loss in the linked article. 

Edited by Bobby_Batronic

I heard they’ve now found all 3 bodies and are suspecting the boxes are down under the mud. 

There’s the video above and also a video not yet released from a nearby prison that reportedly show the plane intact. Or as intact as you can tell in a couple seconds of grainy footage. 

5 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Suicide maybe?

That is my thinking, and as it started at 6,000 feet, may have been too fast for copilot to correct. But not sure how to explain no radio calls, unless you think the worst. But very rare for a plane to crash in a nose dive essentially which is now proven by video. Wonder how deep the black boxes are in the mud with that crash. 

There were no radio calls because it was 20 seconds from loss of control to impact going straight down. Telling ATC there was a problem was the least of their concerns.

I don’t know how interaction with ATC is envisioned by some, but it’s not some Shawshank situation where the pilots get the controllers attention with “crashing over here boss” before actually having the accident. The first rule is to fly the plane, and telling controllers what you want and need is tertiary. 

9 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Suicide maybe?

Nope. Why wait until you're nearly there when you had the whole Gulf to work with? This is going to be some sort of equipment or system failure. It was a 27 year old airframe that spent the majority of it's life in China and Chile. Who knows what kind of bailing wire and donkey shit patches were hidden inside?

26 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

How easy would it be for a crew member to throw a pistol into his flight bag? Do the TSA monkeys usually just wave you through? 

There are spot checks where crew have to go through normal security at the Known Crewmember check points, but generally crew just scan their badges and are waved through. ACMI and 121 Freight operators have security they must pass through too, but I don’t really know what that consists of anymore.

I really doubt this is a case like what happened to FedEx years back. 

Edited by Bobby_Batronic

We take for granted how quick 20s is. If it was a true unexpected critical failure, then it is possible that no one even got to the point of thinking to notify atc before impact.

20 seconds 

flying along...

Boom! Critical failure that throws the plane into a rapid nosedive.

3 seconds of holy shit grab the controls / notice the controls aren’t responding 

5 seconds to state that to the copilot 

4 seconds for them try whatever failsafe

that leaves 8 seconds to contact atc using these counts (and not including an “holy shit what happened we are all going to die” panic time) which is gone in a flash.

20 seconds 

lets not get too tied into no atc call. 2 minutes and I would understand the concerns, 20 seconds not so much.

Or it could be a jammed horizontal stabilizer, but where’s the fun in speculating about that?

Flight control malfunction is certainly up there. I can guarantee you those 20 seconds were split between WTF just happened and trying to regain control of the plane. With maybe a few seconds of trouble shooting mixed in. If they were able to regain control at some point then maybe a mayday call to ATC. First rule of flying is Aviate, Navigate, Communicate.

NTSB is saying to expect a 12-18 month investigation.  

Should see a preliminary well before that.

1 hour ago, Laxtonto said:

We take for granted how quick 20s is. If it was a true unexpected critical failure, then it is possible that no one even got to the point of thinking to notify atc before impact.

20 seconds 

flying along...

Boom! Critical failure that throws the plane into a rapid nosedive.

3 seconds of holy shit grab the controls / notice the controls aren’t responding 

5 seconds to state that to the copilot 

4 seconds for them try whatever failsafe

that leaves 8 seconds to contact atc using these counts (and not including an “holy shit what happened we are all going to die” panic time) which is gone in a flash.

20 seconds 

lets not get too tied into no atc call. 2 minutes and I would understand the concerns, 20 seconds not so much.

Gotcha, where are we getting the 20 seconds from? 

6 hours ago, RPM said:

Nope. Why wait until you're nearly there when you had the whole Gulf to work with?

Maybe because we humans have built-in mechanisms to prevent us from committing suicide? So let’s say pilot had suicide in mind the whole way, was gonna take the plane down in the middle of the Gulf, but his internal alarms were going off like crazy, sweating bullets with part of his brain screaming “don’t do it”. Then, after a while of this struggle, his suicicidal self realizes that they are running out of Gulf and finally takes over.

On 2/25/2019 at 9:06 AM, Brisketexan said:

No threadjack, but....Colombia is actually pretty safe these days.  I have a friend who has an entire business set up there, spends a lot of time there, etc.  The crazy cartel days are largely behind them (brutal enforcement there squeezed the balloon so now we see the worst of them up in...Mexico.  Unintended consequences and all that).

Back to the story -- am going to be curious what that 5 seconds of jail video shows -- will we see an engine on fire?  This one is a bit spooky.  And from what I have read, there was no distress call or chatter on ATC?

Safer?  I'm down with that.  Safe?  Well.  Just a month ago...

A deadly car bomb at a Bogotá police academy claimed by Colombia’s National Liberation Army, or ELN, is the latest sign that Colombia’s civil war is not over. President Ivan Duque called the January attack, which killed 21 military personnel and wounded 68, a “crazy terrorist act.”

The leftist ELN became Colombia’s largest guerrilla group after the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia, or FARC, disbanded following a peace agreement with the government in September 2016.

http://theconversation.com/violence-and-killings-havent-stopped-in-colombia-despite-landmark-peace-deal-111232

4 hours ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

There are spot checks where crew have to go through normal security at the Known Crewmember check points, but generally crew just scan their badges and are waved through.

Really? I kinda thought it would be like the time I flew a private jet around San Antonio (the story is a WHOLE lot less la di da than it sounds when you say private jet). We drove right up to that fucker and walked on, no scan, no ticket, no nothing. It was like heaven.

Edited by relapse98

36 minutes ago, relapse98 said:

Really? I kinda thought it would be like the time I flew a private jet around San Antonio (the story is a WHOLE lot less la di da than it sounds when you say private jet). We drove right up to that fucker and walked on, no scan, no ticket, no nothing. It was like heaven.

I flew private jets for 11 years. Stepping on and off the jet directly from and to your car is a nice perk. 

The crewmembers are largely well vetted, and can therefore nearly walk through security, but spot checks are necessary. And, honestly, you can buy a full pilot outfit out of a magazine and reasonably fake an ID with some effort so you kinda want someone doing at least a cursory examination of  crew coming through. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

I flew private jets for 11 years. Stepping on and off the jet directly from and to your car is a nice perk. 

The crewmembers are largely well vetted, and can therefore nearly walk through security, but spot checks are necessary. And, honestly, you can buy a full pilot outfit out of a magazine and reasonably fake an ID with some effort so you kinda want someone doing at least a cursory examination of  crew coming through. 

Really?   I can't just put on a damper airplane pilot outfit and fly a plane?