3D printers

luke duke

I’m half-assed considering getting a 3D printer to play around with. It’s also probably a good way to get the kids introduced to a computer other than web surfing. The problem is that I don’t have a clue what to look for or what features are important/useful. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Here's a pretty decent review/rec https://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-3d-printers,review-2236.html

Originally, you had to take 3-view drawings in Autocad or something else and run them through a CAM program set up to interface with the printer.  Thankfully, that seems to be n/a now and I imagine the lower cost "fun" ones eliminate much similarity to drafting at that stage, think SketchUp, not ProE.  Then you have the envelope of the machine, and finally the material.  Even the cheap/fun ones have pretty good resolution, and you can build decent sized parts/things.  Then there's the material.  The older-style stereolithography is pretty much always going to permit a broader range of materials, and are always going to be more expensve, but the low-cost filament machines are decent for things that aren't stressed.

I suspect you can get away with a cheaper one for the kiddos, then if you/they want to geek out on it and make useful stuff move on up.

Edited by TwiceHorn

12 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

I still do not understand this concept at all. Can't grasp it. 

What's the hangup?  You understand that an ink jet print head is controlled by a computer in two dimensions (x and y) to spew out ink on a page to form letters and images.

In 3-D printers, or some of them, the print head just spews out molten plastic and adds a z dimension to make parts.  In others, the print head is a laser or light beam that is controlled by a computer to either expose and harden photosensitive liquids, or melt a small amount of granulated plastic.

Like the letters on a page, the part is built up line-by-line, or more accurately layer-by-layer.

Probably the easiest/cheapest way to get into it is with a Mini printer. Monoprice has a Mini version of my Maker Select Plus.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15365

You can find a refurb on their site or catch it on sale for less than $150 bucks usually. It’s the cheapest way to figure out if you’ll enjoy/need/use FDM 3D printing. Obviously it has a small build volume but it’s a fairly reliable and accessible first printer.

The next step is to see if you want to learn to design your own parts using something like TinkerCAD or Fusion360. It’s relatively easy to pick up but it might take more time for people who aren’t familiar with design in general. You can also search for things/parts that you might find useful on sites like Thingiverse which is a free repository of 3D Object files that you can just upload and print.

You’ll see a lot of reviews online of people printing little dolls and figurines and other shit like that. I tend to only print practical things, so I don’t find those reviews all that interesting. For instance, I just designed and built a dust collection adapter for my miter saw to connect to a shop vac hose. 

I’ve been doing small projects here and there with my printer over the past couple years but am considering upgrading to a much nicer printer with a large build area. Ask any questions you might have and I’ll do my best to answer them.

Edited by Xminus6
  • Like 3

On 2/24/2019 at 11:21 PM, jimmyjazz said:

My office in grad school was in the basement of the ME building, next to Carl Deckard's office.  He was just getting started on 3D printing at the time.  I just figured he was high.

I was wrong.

Furk.  I just looked and Deckard's patents are expired.  Way expired, more than 10 years.  And so is a family of 3D mfg patents I wrote in the 90s.  Double furk.

Edited by TwiceHorn

21 hours ago, El Diablo said:

What sort of environment can they be run in? Hot/cold/humidity/dust? Do they need a special table to minimize vibration or to be dead nuts level?

They're not too terribly sensitive. The filament should be kept as dry as possible when not being used. So people keep the rolls in ziplock bags with desiccant or even put then in dehydraters if they've been out in the open for a while. Although I don't take many precautions with my filament and it's fine. Might be slightly better if I dry them out but it's not disastrous to have it sitting out. Places with more humidity may have more issues though. 

Depending on what type of plastic you're printing it may be beneficial to have a hotter ambient temperature. When printing ABS people will enclose or box their printers since ABS needs higher temps to prevent warping. For other plastics they can just be out in open air. 

You don't need to worry about a special table. They're generally pretty robust. The machines themselves benefit from bracing and rigidity but the table or surface isn't that important unless the printer is physically tilting while printing. It's more important that the printer itself is square, level and plumb than the surface it's sitting on.

My other printer recommendation of someone is willing to jump right in is the Prusa Mk III. It's the Toyota Camry of 3D printers right now. 

Edited by Xminus6
  • Like 2

We have the prusa mk2 and it’s pretty baller. Working on building an enclosure from 2 ikea lack enables and some plexiglass right now. Also you should def get a raspberry pi and run an octoprint server on it. Let’s you control the printer from a computer and even set up a webcam for time lapse videos.

• Like 1

I researched the best bang for the buck about a year or more ago and came up with Creality 3d as the biggest and most range of options for accuracy, DIY-ness, options, etc for the money.  Didn't actually purchase at the time but this thread has me strongly considering again.  Here is a review of one of them and also a link to one with a bunch more options below to let you see the differences and many, many options to consider.

https://www.banggood.com/Creality-3D-Ender-3-V-slot-Prusa-I3-DIY-3D-Printer-Kit-220x220x250mm-Printing-Size-p-1278399.html?gmcCountry=US&currency=USD&createTmp=1&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=cpc_elc&utm_content=frank&utm_campaign=pla-mix-us-pc-0626&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkvmG5ebj4AIVhMhkCh35awCoEAkYCSABEgL1a_D_BwE&cur_warehouse=CN

I don't know about buying from the site above but it has good pictures, descriptions, videos, on 3D printers so you can learn about them before you buy from wherever.

Edited by zork

Creality are interesting because they do indeed give you a lot of machine for the money but the quality control is often not great. There are some general dangers involved when using a 3D printer because it has a heating element that draws a lot of current. I've only heard of a few fires caused by 3D printers, but there are true stories of them out there. I know some people who have CR10s and love them and honestly my Monoprice doesn't have the greatest QC either.

There are also very robust machines that cost a lot more for smaller build volumes, but they're backed by well-known corporations and probably tested to Consumer Safety standards. Dremel has a 3D printer that they sell that's basically a RepRap clone.

I will say, when your 3D printer is working, it feels like magic or a (slow) Replicator from Star Trek. But when things go wonky on them it's incredibly fucking frustrating. They haven't really reached the point of being like an appliance. There's always a chance that something gets messed up on your machine (clogged nozzle, bed gets warped or out of level, extruder gears stripping) then you'll feel like chucking the whole thing in the garbage.

Edited by Xminus6

6 hours ago, Xminus6 said:

Creality are interesting because they do indeed give you a lot of machine for the money but the quality control is often not great. There are some general dangers involved when using a 3D printer because it has a heating element that draws a lot of current. I've only heard of a few fires caused by 3D printers, but there are true stories of them out there. I know some people who have CR10s and love them and honestly my Monoprice doesn't have the greatest QC either.

There are also very robust machines that cost a lot more for smaller build volumes, but they're backed by well-known corporations and probably tested to Consumer Safety standards. Dremel has a 3D printer that they sell that's basically a RepRap clone.

I will say, when your 3D printer is working, it feels like magic or a (slow) Replicator from Star Trek. But when things go wonky on them it's incredibly fucking frustrating. They haven't really reached the point of being like an appliance. There's always a chance that something gets messed up on your machine (clogged nozzle, bed gets warped or out of level, extruder gears stripping) then you'll feel like chucking the whole thing in the garbage.

YEP.  the last video I linked had a robust review of the Creality low end machine.  it had some recommended cheap upgrades to fix a couple of known issues.  That series seems to have a ton of youtube DIY fixes and ideas to help you maximize it.  You can spend some serious time watching them since there are a lot over the years. 

Still haven't bought one yet.

7 hours ago, zork said:

YEP.  the last video I linked had a robust review of the Creality low end machine.  it had some recommended cheap upgrades to fix a couple of known issues.  That series seems to have a ton of youtube DIY fixes and ideas to help you maximize it.  You can spend some serious time watching them since there are a lot over the years. 

Still haven't bought one yet.

The funny thing with 3D printers: After unboxing it, the first thing you’ll print is a cat figurine. Then next 10 things you’ll print are objects to fix what’s wrong with your 3D printer.

Edited by Xminus6

29 minutes ago, Xminus6 said:

The funny thing with 3D printers: After unboxing it, the first thing you’ll print is a cat figurine. Then next 10 things you’ll print are objects to fix what’s wrong with your 3D printer.

yep again.  watching the videos it is clear that is the case.  fortunately, in many cases with many of the brands and something I would favor before buying, there are a lot of open source community types that are making the videos showing pro, con, and how they fixed or optimized.  

my kids are just now 9 and 11 so I'm still holding off but I can see there being some fun with one once the timing is right.  local public library has one that we have seen but not used yet.  they went to a STEM camp last summer that let them watch and learn about it, they designed a badge and had it printed off on one at the camp.  Still, gonna wait.

My office in grad school was in the basement of the ME building, next to Carl Deckard's office.  He was just getting started on 3D printing at the time.  I just figured he was high.
I was wrong.

Our undergrad Sr design projects/prototypes were laminate object manufactured, and by “manufactured” I mean they were hand assembled by the team. Layer 0002 peel laminate backing adhere to Layer 0001. Peel laminate backing of Layer 0003 adhere to Layer 0002. Etc.

I think the next semester they started polymer printing and a few years after that they were printing multiple materials, colors, to pretty amazing resolutions.

51 minutes ago, zork said:

yep again.  watching the videos it is clear that is the case.  fortunately, in many cases with many of the brands and something I would favor before buying, there are a lot of open source community types that are making the videos showing pro, con, and how they fixed or optimized.  

my kids are just now 9 and 11 so I'm still holding off but I can see there being some fun with one once the timing is right.  local public library has one that we have seen but not used yet.  they went to a STEM camp last summer that let them watch and learn about it, they designed a badge and had it printed off on one at the camp.  Still, gonna wait.

Our public library has one too. I'm not sure how people would reasonable use that. To print anything of any size at all it takes hours. Can't imagine I'd go there and load up a file and just come back later in the day but I suppose it's nice to have in case. There are so many cheap ones available now that make it a pretty low-risk endeavor. The Monoprice Mini can be had usually for around $100. Slicers and CAD software are free. So you're only into it for the printer and filament.

Is there anything out there that works out of the box and doesn't need mods or babysitting?  I wouldn't need much -- I pretty much just want to print small (1 liter or less) plastic prototype designs for the rare client I consult for.  Ultra-precision isn't a necessity.  For what it's worth, I own a seat of Solidworks 2017, so they'd have to play nice.

On 3/4/2019 at 1:16 PM, Llano Estacado said:

Our undergrad Sr design projects/prototypes were laminate object manufactured, and by “manufactured” I mean they were hand assembled by the team. Layer 0002 peel laminate backing adhere to Layer 0001. Peel laminate backing of Layer 0003 adhere to Layer 0002. Etc.

I think the next semester they started polymer printing and a few years after that they were printing multiple materials, colors, to pretty amazing resolutions.

There were actually some early 3D printers that automated that process and basically used tape.

4 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Is there anything out there that works out of the box and doesn't need mods or babysitting?  I wouldn't need much -- I pretty much just want to print small (1 liter or less) plastic prototype designs for the rare client I consult for.  Ultra-precision isn't a necessity.  For what it's worth, I own a seat of Solidworks 2017, so they'd have to play nice.

Prusa is close. I think something like the Dremel is probably a little more robust. If you need extreme detail but don't mind a small build volume you could look into SLA printers, which use a different process but print things that are incredibly detailed. You have to handle the emulsion carefully and clean the printed parts and cure them with UV/sunlight, but they print things in much more detail than FDM printers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xminus6 said:

Prusa is close. I think something like the Dremel is probably a little more robust. If you need extreme detail but don't mind a small build volume you could look into SLA printers, which use a different process but print things that are incredibly detailed. You have to handle the emulsion carefully and clean the printed parts and cure them with UV/sunlight, but they print things in much more detail than FDM printers.

What kind of tolerancing are  you talking about?  I can't imagine I'd need features smaller than 1 mm, and probably +/- 0.25 mm at that (and even then almost never).

18 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

What kind of tolerancing are  you talking about?  I can't imagine I'd need features smaller than 1 mm, and probably +/- 0.25 mm at that (and even then almost never).

Oh, an FDM (extruded melted plastic) printer would be fine then. The most well-known reliable one out there now is the Prusa i3 Mk III. https://www.prusa3d.com/original-prusa-i3-mk3/

• 4 weeks later...
10 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Well, as things tend to happen , I now need to be able to print slightly larger parts than the Prusa i3 can handle.  Any recs?  Current part size is 10.6" x 7.2" x 3.2".

Creality has a large volume printer. The Ender3 is big I think.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 3/4/2019 at 12:52 PM, zork said:

You wind up buying a printer? Just dropping in to encourage you do so for your kids. I can only imagine the cool shit I'd be doing now if I had started tinkering with 3d printing in middle/high school instead of discovering it my junior year at UT. It's now my favorite hobby, I sink a lot of time into it and learn a ton, from electronics to hardware to design. No guarantees your kids will take to it of course, but at the lost cost of entry these days (~$300 for decent kits), its worth a go.

I would also love to find a way I can share my passion for it with a younger generation, be that at some sort of STEM summer camp or after-school program. Moving to houston soon, likely some opportunities to do so there 🤘

303, I got one for my son who's a Jr to-be at UT-D. Little cheap one, but he loves it. This summer, he contacted a local 3D printing co. to have some parts for my company produced (or at least costed out) He did the design & sent over the files. I don't think it's in his interest for a career, but it's cool to see him excited about something.

• 7 months later...
On 2/27/2019 at 8:05 PM, TwiceHorn said:

Furk.  I just looked and Deckard's patents are expired.  Way expired, more than 10 years.  And so is a family of 3D mfg patents I wrote in the 90s.  Double furk.

time to post in the 'sucks getting old' thread