Getting Internet on smart TV ?

Armybrat

Recently purchased a Samsung 4K/1080p six Series Smart TV. Have it hooked up to Spectrum (Time-Warner ) cable tv (with DVR boxes) & internet service and also have the WiFi modem set up for our tablet & laptop.

I don’t have a clue how to “stream”  the Internet to the new TV. What are the steps to set that feature up? I’d like to surf Surly on the big screen in the living room, warts and all.

Also, we haven’t watched any 1080p content yet, much less the souper  dooper 4K programming. How do we get that?  I assume it is all extra cost subscription type offerings. My old DVD player is just a 720p box. Don’t have  gaming PlayStation thingamajig.

Thank you in advance .

7 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Recently purchased a Samsung 4K/1080p six Series Smart TV. Have it hooked up to Spectrum (Time-Warner ) cable tv (with DVR boxes) & internet service and also have the WiFi modem set up for our tablet & laptop.

I don’t have a clue how to “stream”  the Internet to the new TV. What are the steps to set that feature up? I’d like to surf Surly on the big screen in the living room, warts and all.

Also, we haven’t watched any 1080p content yet, much less the souper  dooper 4K programming. How do we get that?  I assume it is all extra cost subscription type offerings. My old DVD player is just a 720p box. Don’t have  gaming PlayStation thingamajig.

Thank you in advance .

Somewhere in your settings, you will find something called "Internet" or the like.  Do you have a hard wire/cable into the TV?  Anyway, you turn on either "ethernet" (hard wire internet connection) or Wi-Fi and select the network and enter the password.  If there is an "internet cable" handy by the TV, it is probably desirable to use that rather than wifi.

Then, somewhere in your settings or remote, there will be "Smart TV" or "internet apps" or something of that nature, where you can enter your username and password for Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc. and select those "channels" for viewing (at that point it looks pretty much like it does on PC or tablet or phone, just have to use the remote to navigate it).  Most everything on those services in 1080p.  Some may be 4K.l

You should have a Youtube app, so you can watch some stuff streaming right away.  You might also have like a PBS app or ESPN that will let you watch things from there "on demand."  Also, you may have HBOGo or SHOwtime Anytime, or other cable TV channel apps.  By using a cable company username and password, you should be able to watch a sort of expanded on demand on those apps.

Just click around on those apps and they will "make you" sign in and store it.

Edited by TwiceHorn

A lot of channels already coming into your home are1080p, and your TV will detect that, no charge to view. My local CBS is 1080p.

There is still very little 4K content out there delivered to your home, unless you have (likely) purchased a satellite or cable package with a few dedicated 4K channels. But one way to view some amazing 4K footage is to find the YouTube app on your TV (you have it), and once there, use your remote to simply search “4K,” and a ton of 4K videos will then appear for your viewing. Look for the ones with the most views, and they’ll likely be incredible to watch. The YouTube app may ask you to create an account or log in. If you have a Google account, you already have a YouTube account.

Regarding your desire to use your TV like a computer monitor, I just found this for a different model, but it may work:

https://www.samsung.com/in/support/tv-audio-video/how-to-turn-on-link-browsing-in-samsung-f-series-smart-tv/

I’ve had internet enabled TVs for probably almost 15 years, and I’ve never used one to surf the web (I did have a Line Out from my old PC set up back in the day to my old Sony when they were next to each other, but that was rarely used). Internet “browsers” like Firefox, Safari, Chrome, Internet Explorer, etc. are typically needed to engage the web. I guess Samsung has that capability with its Smart TVs. Maybe I need to take the one I bought two years ago for the bathroom out of the box to check (anyone want to wire my bathroom?)

”Streaming” capability means you can take the Spectrum box and throw it in the trash. You can now get your shows wirelessly. I just dumped DirecTV a month ago, and after sampling YouTube TV and DirecTV Now, I think I’m going with YouTube TV. $40 beats the hell out of $145.

Edited by Vito Andolini

• 5 months later...
On 2/23/2019 at 10:52 PM, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Sounds like a pain in the ass using your tv a browser. You'll do all of this research then find out typing words using tv remote arrows and the enter key is for the birds

how about a keyboard?  

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/logitech-k400-plus-wireless-keyboard-black/7575039.p?skuId=7575039

7575039_sd.jpg;maxHeight=640;maxWidth=55