2018 Beer

HenryJames

1 hour ago, deft said:

Este?
a2c9024251b88264d1fd431d98736964.jpg

Yes, that was it. Didn't know they canned it. It's not bad. 

Wasn't crazy about the Kung Fu Robot but that guava IPA was allright.

I noticed their Zephyr was back at HEB but they didn't have it in the taproom.  It's decent, from what I remember of last year's batch.

3 hours ago, El Guapo said:

Was at 4th Tap earlier tonight. They've upped their game a bit as long as you stay away from the gruits. Not the best in town, but not the worst either. Very kid and dog friendly if that matters to you.

Actually had a pretty nice guava IPA as well as a decent Biere de Garde, which I typically don't enjoy.

When I went last weekend, it was much better than when I first went a couple of years ago. None of their permanent beers are great, imo. Their orbitals are very hit or miss but I can usually find something. If you love one, good luck ever seeing it again as it’s likely a one time deal. For example, they made an american wheat with spruce called Spruce Wayne that I found weirdly addicting, but it was a one time thing. I do like that they are extremely creative and willing to push the envelope.

Free pizza on Sunday afternoons to help me sober up is nice.

Edit to add - Kung fu robot is straight garbage. Cool name, but all of us found it undrinkable.

Edited by Larry T. Spider

On 7/15/2018 at 11:51 PM, Larry T. Spider said:

First time at Celis today. Solid selection of beers and nice tap room. They have a lot of stuff on nitro, including their raspberry fruit beer. I asked about that and both bartenders insisted that fruit beers on nitro were going to be big soon. I don’t know if I buy that but it was really good. 

Celis has a "golden lager" on tap right now, not to be confused with a golden ale they've had recently. I asked the bartender if that was the pilsner they used to brew back in the day and he said it was the same beer but that it was never a pilsner, it was a golden lager.  I always thought Celis Golden was a pilsner but I didn't argue; whatever it was was fantastic.

Sorry, wasn't a big fan of the nitro raspberry and I usually like oddball stuff on nitro. Maybe I missed something because that was the only nitro tap I saw. 

Was in San Francisco and Monterey for the weekend. In addition to doing the fun touristy stuff like hiking around Land’s End, Golden Gate Bridge, Point Lobos State Natural Reserve, Pfeiffer Beach, driving Big Sur, eating at Nepenthe and Fisherman’s Wharf, here’s how this beer nerd otherwise spent his weekend.

Friday night:

c63619d26e86ea326bef371edf47afb3.jpg

7b9cfe11edb8c3b642359118cf74f3b0.jpg

3f3075dfc7b8763c570fbb7ff9ef2df5.jpg

Remember to bring cash:

c704c19a07d79fca2a25d7cdef3b93ee.jpg

For all the incredible beers they sell, I’m not sure why they offer these. They smell quite nasty:

9327041d0423ee5abc6a9b9d7dea9c53.jpg

You can even buy cans to take home with you:

9cc3683ae40d8af306002715f169a9d8.jpg

• Like 1

Saturday. Lunch at Alvarado Street Brewing as we rolled into town. Love this brewery and brewpub so much.

17e50b78ce5566e0995e998c613914ab.jpg

0fed250697d337e8443fa550b3064645.jpg

d6b38f6a1447c86c3706360c5d971039.jpg

d1aa9ac2bb0916946e719c3e0c92beba.jpg

You can likewise buy cans to take home...

f5b0d8254c60a612ca6c9cf477cff80d.jpg

If you’re down in Big Sur and looking to kill some time (as we were at one point waiting for parking at Pfeiffer Beach to free up), swing by the Big Sur Deli and Taphouse. You can buy single cans/bottles of various beers (including recent Alvarado releases) at the Deli and then grab a decent draft beer next door at the Taphouse. I had Almanac’s hazy DIPA. Last time there they had Pliny bottles to drink there and take home.

e3f7ffd2e18c8e2eeb27f8cf1df4272f.jpg

After hanging out in Big Sur for the day, we swung by Fieldworks’ open air tap yard for drinks. Love wearing a jacket in July in 60 degrees coolness and drinking their big ol sampler by the fire.

3754633c176b2755c052446e6ddcc861.jpg

d8cd0f4b53f87b9650e049b6c4a233fd.jpg

2771490247c4918c5a5a0d769a43a932.jpg

• Like 1

Sunday. Actually passed on any beers during lunch at Old Fisherman’s Grotto in the Wharf since they didn’t have any beers I can’t get at home (man’s gotta have a code...). However just a tip for those flying out of SFO’s Terminal 2: Cat Corra’s Kitchen always has a rotating Fieldwork IPA on tap. Today’s was Destination Unknown which was quite tasty as I was waiting for this flight that I’m now on.

bfb9a1fd4e6610de31da44f3983d439f.jpg

Cheers all. Beer nerd out.

For all the incredible beers they sell, I’m not sure why they offer these. They smell quite nasty:

9327041d0423ee5abc6a9b9d7dea9c53.jpg

Don't make me hurt you mdl! Those are Underbergs and they are incredible. A German "digestif" made of a bunch of herbs weighing in at like 40% abv. For whatever reason, bars in SF only licensed for beer and/or wine are allowed to do them, so that's how you do shots with you pals, and get way fucked up, in a beer bar. It's a little bit of an aquired taste, but once you have a taste for them they are addicting.

You can redeem caps for awards through a little catalog. A year or so back I wanted to collect 386 caps to get a truck with my name on the license plate. Some of the staff and regulars started saving them for me, and wouldn't stop. I got the truck, the trailer, a full set of German bone china. Finally I just started redeeming them for shit to give back to all the people saving them for me. If you look behind the bar just past the register toward the merch, you'll find about 20 Underberg glasses with all our names, or nick names, engraved on them. We only use them on special occasions. A few lucky souls got trucks of their own. That went over big, I almost achieved legend status over that.

d39973e1f25867faf1f038dbbc1667fa.jpg

cf18eea746902a7a17ccb369d301b78d.jpg

b9597ae947dfc97c1ec48efefcb85161.jpg

• Like 2

Yeah we were sitting just to the right of them and asked one of the bartenders what was up with those little dainty glasses and those little bottles next to them. I passed on partaking in any and just stuck with Pliny and about 5 other West Coast beers I couldn’t otherwise get here in Texas.

Correct. We carried on the one (carry on sized) suitcase (plus I had a backpack and my wife had her purse) on the way there and I only checked the suitcase with beer on the way back. To my knowledge, all airlines are cool with your checked bags unless they weigh over 50 pounds (when they will then charge an extra fee). With our clothes and toiletries, etc plus the beers, I was still a good 10 pounds under the limit (I have a travel scale that I take with me for just such a purpose). I guess I could’ve grabbed a few more...

On 7/22/2018 at 2:43 PM, Okie State said:

St. Arnold's beer garden opened. Looking forward to checking that out next weekend.

pictures look cool, I'm looking forward to it as well. Hopefully they take some of Karbach's chain because fuck Karbach.

• Like 1

pictures look cool, I'm looking forward to it as well. Hopefully they take some of Karbach's chain because fuck Karbach.

Some douchebags on Facebook were comparing them to Karbach with this new place. One guy went on a rant about taking his lunch business elsewhere now that they don't have their lunch special. People will complain about anything.

Man, I remember the Karbach vs. St. Arnold's beef back when they opened.  IIRC, Karbach loaded up on St. Arnold's old equipment when they moved to the HISD test kitchen site (their current brewery).  The Karbach guys said SA looked down their noses at them, but 8 years later, and look where we're at...

4 hours ago, PvilleStang said:

Man, I remember the Karbach vs. St. Arnold's beef back when they opened.  IIRC, Karbach loaded up on St. Arnold's old equipment when they moved to the HISD test kitchen site (their current brewery).  The Karbach guys said SA looked down their noses at them, but 8 years later, and look where we're at...

I don't know the whole history, but I remember someone on the old site once saying that it was always pretty obvious to everyone what the Karbach guys' plans were. I can't imagine them getting a great reception from SA if that was the case.

Yeah we were sitting just to the right of them and asked one of the bartenders what was up with those little dainty glasses and those little bottles next to them. I passed on partaking in any and just stuck with Pliny and about 5 other West Coast beers I couldn’t otherwise get here in Texas.
Not a special occasion.

93f644ad2f957b3a215b2c3ba2ebd7eb.jpg

Turning Point in Bedford is making some damn good beer.  Worth the drive to the no man's land between Dallas and Ft. Worth. 

This is absolutely correct. As many breweries as I’ve hit while I’m away in Austin, I’ve only been to a handful here in the Dallas metroplex and yet I’ve already been to Turning Point twice since Father’s Day and am always looking to get there again soon. Easily my favorite current local brewery.

One of the biggest compliments I can give them is they remind me of a budding Alvarado Street Brewing out of Monterey, CA: making a gaggle of great IPAs in particular plus continuously canning and releasing new cans for sale weekly.

Now they just need to up their can art like Alvarado Street does....

6bb2a284354f38da74584166e6dd6745.jpg

• Like 2

On 7/24/2018 at 7:44 AM, PvilleStang said:

Saint A's is still way the fuck better...

These stories trip me out though, regardless of industries.  Established entity gives or sells (at pawn shop prices) spare parts to upstarts.  Then we hear how mean the established company was. 

Phat (and others I'm sure) are probably way more qualified to comment, but I always got the impression that Brock/SA enjoy a pretty high level of respect among the Houston brewing community, even if their product might generally tend more toward mass appeal than cutting edge now.

i’m not a historian, but i don’t think any of this is accurate. i don’t think karbach bought SA’s old brewhouse (it’s possible they may have bought some smaller pieces) and i don’t think SA had any animosity toward karbach until stories started surfacing about questionable sales practices involving TVs and draft systems.

Phat (and others I'm sure) are probably way more qualified to comment, but I always got the impression that Brock/SA enjoy a pretty high level of respect among the Houston brewing community, even if their product might generally tend more toward mass appeal than cutting edge now.

everyone in houston craft beer community respects the shit out of brock and SABC. they’re really good people.

DAmn, i wish texas brewers would get on that Brut trend. But i guess they've got to ride the hazes and milkshakes into the ground before they catch onto champagne yeast

We have a collab coming out in a couple of days that’s called Brut-ally Hazy.
  • Like 1