2018 Beer

HenryJames

8 hours ago, Bottlecap said:

Also, man, my palate has changed. The recipe seems spot on from what I remember, but damn, Raspberry Celis is cloying as fuck. Still fun to drink, but after the nostalgia wears off, I don't know how much I will buy.

We used to mix it with Grand Cru, pretty damn good.

1 hour ago, Llano Estacado said:

Nothing wrong with that. Drink what you like and fuck the rest of it.

Sometimes this thread goes a whole page without someone mentioning a beer I think will be obtainable to me, and/or I’m interested in, but I’ve always followed it and I always will.

Lots of pretentious wieners in the bourbon scotch game now. Don’t switch to a $15+ drink habit just because it’s the cool thing.

I have switched bourbon to my primary means of alcohol at home. It's for a few reasons, it's a lot healthier, it takes less liquid to get drunk, it's a lot cheaper, and I just enjoy sipping it more than a carbonated drink. I'm 33 now, and health is becoming a slight concern. I don't want to have a beer gut when my metabolism starts to drop, and I don't need the extra carbs/calories. Since making the switch, I'm down about 10 pounds on my average weight, which is pretty significant for not changing anything else.  

26 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

I have switched bourbon to my primary means of alcohol at home. It's for a few reasons, it's a lot healthier, it takes less liquid to get drunk, it's a lot cheaper, and I just enjoy sipping it more than a carbonated drink. I'm 33 now, and health is becoming a slight concern. I don't want to have a beer gut when my metabolism starts to drop, and I don't need the extra carbs/calories. Since making the switch, I'm down about 10 pounds on my average weight, which is pretty significant for not changing anything else.  

Winners never quit and quitters never win. You sound like a damned quitter to me.

10 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

I try to do this every couple of years, for the reasons you mentioned, but I REALLY like beer.

I've started not drinking anything at all 3-4 nights a week to stave off the calories, and mixing in more macro beer if I'm in a "drink all day" (tailgating, kayaking, etc) setting.  Liquor always knocks me on my ass, so the situations where I would drink liquor responsibly are the situations where I just don't drink at all anymore.

Maybe one of these days I'll crack that code.  We're blessed with some good localish bourbon in this area.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

23 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Haze County was phenomenal at the taproom. I think I drunk posted about at the time on the old thread. Bought it in a can and it was terrible. It didn’t even look like the same beer. On tap it was a gorgeous hazy golden elixir and poured from the can it looked like diabetic piss with blood mixed in. 

Haven't had it on draft. Bought a six-pack and it was dreamy. I guess that's just another data point for its inconsistency.

56 minutes ago, deft said:

Yeah so my heb charged $23 for the 4 pack. Is that right?

Well, if you think of it as Bar pricing, it's not quite so painful.  I really like it so I'll usually buy one 4-pack when I can find it.  But there are plenty of other great beers available for a lot less than that, so...

Craft Beer Cellar, Lakewood Growler, Katy Trail Ice House, Guitars and Growlers, Common Table.

Common Table is very close and usually has a decent selection of craft beers.

The others are all good suggestions. There also is the Meddlesome Moth in the design district plus Community and Peticolas right across 35 from you.

On 4/3/2018 at 1:39 PM, AnotherUTFan said:

Ive never gotten the hype behind Surly, or LP's Yellow Rose for that matter, so guess we all have out expectations. 

I'm going to have to second this comment. I recently tried this one (Yellow Rose) based off comments here and honestly I am a little surprised at how many of you like grapefruit. It wasn't bad mind you, but the grapefruit flavor is a little overpowering for me. I also tried Saison Dupont and it was pretty good. It's not something I would drink all the time but I bet it would be great come this summer when its hot.

Edited by nivek3
added name of beer for reference, duh

For the record I do like Yellow Rose but I’ve also found it to be inconsistent from batch to batch in the past few years. It certainly seems like they have upped production in the last couple of years (so much so that I routinely find fresh packs of it for sale at my local Costco here in Dallas).

Someone brought over La Frontera from BBB the other day, definitely getting another 6-er of that.  

And for you, @nivek3, Yellow Rose is straight Mosaic and Pilsen hops.  I don't get the grapefruit much at all, just a damn good SMaSH IPA.  Unless you're saying you were getting Grapefruited while drinking the beer, then my hats off to you. 

5 hours ago, PvilleStang said:

And for you, @nivek3, Yellow Rose is straight Mosaic and Pilsen hops.  I don't get the grapefruit much at all, just a damn good SMaSH IPA.  Unless you're saying you were getting Grapefruited while drinking the beer, then my hats off to you. 

Lol. I'd probably have more of a favorable view of the fruit if that were the case, but sadly that was not the case. How common is the inconsistency from batch to batch? And are we talking only a subtle change in flavor notes and carbonation? Also I was curious what you guys consider to be reasonable age to the beer your buying?  I may have to give Yellow rose another try.