2018 Beer

HenryJames

2 hours ago, Bottlecap said:

word on the street is that Big Bend might be financially boned by that canadian brewing equipment manufacturer that just went bust.  

hope they have a lotta marfa lights to sell

I just have no idea what BB is doing.  After Steve died (and maybe before) they've just seemed to lack focus on their plan. 

I brought one of those to Thanksgiving from the exact same batch/year and my beer nerd/massive beer trader BIL practically shit himself that I still had one and was willing to drink it even after he told me the value. I've long since ditch bottle collecting/cellaring, and wasn't about to ship it off to some dipshit in Mesa Arizona for him to enjoy. Drink it.

I have one in the fridge too and have been meaning to drink it. Want to get my beer nerd friends together to share. I've got to think the $200/bottle value would be short lived right? I mean, it's not like a wine that could age for 20 years. 

We did a 5 year Abyss vertical a couple years ago and I thought the bell curve peaked at 3 years on that one. 

I had one a few years ago. It was really good but honestly became more of a chore to drink by the end of the bomber. Too much of a good thing for me I suppose. Definitely a sharer in my opinion.

This is how I feel about most of the big bombers these days.

My wife hates the stuff and so opportunities to open them are few and far between.

Now I will just wait to see if they are on tap and have just a glass somewhere if I want to try one.

4 hours ago, Larry T. Spider said:

Tried the Merlin nitro milk stout from firestone walker last night. It was good but Zilker is still my go to right now.

Mocha merlin is fantastic

Agree about the bombers, most are way too rich to drink solo, like how avery does theirs in 12 oz.

3 hours ago, Bottlecap said:

I dont mean this in a dickish way, but .... why??

Ever since they have moved (about 2 years ago) toward using their alpine brewery as a small batch/test kitchen, they have cranked out some of the best beers this state has ever seen

I still think BA Marfa Lights is the best beer ever brewed in Texas and a top 3 stout for me. Spontaneity is a stellar wild ale, Old Love is a hell of a barleywine, and Prince Charles of Whalez is also great. They have really been on quite a tear for the past 18 months and I havent had a bad new beer from them since. 

Was really looking forward to where they were headed.