2018 Beer

HenryJames

1 hour ago, Anton Chigurh said:

All New Glarus is Wisky only, isn’t it? I think it’s in their motto or something. I have a glass from them my mom brought back for me when she went there, but I haven’t had any of their swill. 

Yes, only Wisky like Al_4_ISU stated. If you can try their fruit beer, do it. I have a cousin up there that comes down to Texas every year and gives me a few bottles of all their offerings. Incredible stuff. 

2 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Yesterday, I had a 2017 Deschutes The Abyss Tequila barrel aged stout.  That barrel may not have been empty yet since that was one seriously alcoholic beer.  Also had a Friends & Allies White ale. I couldn't even taste it after The Abyss.

I had the same experience with the Abyss Rum barrel aged stout.  I like high ABV beer, but the rum barrel aged was way too boozy.

1 hour ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

Yes, only Wisky like Al_4_ISU stated. If you can try their fruit beer, do it. I have a cousin up there that comes down to Texas every year and gives me a few bottles of all their offerings. Incredible stuff. 

I will second this.

Their fruit beer/sour program is great.  Especially the R&D releases.  Those are harder to come by, but absolutely worth it.

3 hours ago, twosheds said:

BH_2xWeb.png?v=1518571367

THis has been my go to favorite for the past year or so.   I don't think I ever contributed to the old thread, but what the hell, tell me how nasty it is.  I will still enjoy it.

I brought up this beer previously, but I don't believe it is well liked here. O.o

7 minutes ago, nivek3 said:

I brought up this beer previously, but I don't believe it is well liked here. O.o

It's just that a lot of people around here prefer to focus on actual craft breweries.  Once a place gets bought out by a macro, it loses that craft appeal.

Revolver was never any better than ok for me, but a lot of people seemed to like it.

Edited by utee94

9 minutes ago, utee94 said:

It's just that a lot of people around here prefer to focus on actual craft breweries.  Once a place gets bought out by a macro, it loses that craft appeal.

Revolver was never any better than ok for me, but a lot of people seemed to like it.

I wouldn't pay for a 6 pack of Keystone, but if I'm at a cookout this summer and the ice chest is full of Pepsi and stones? I'll gladly cool off with the beer. I'm beyond trying to impress a click in society. But it is pleasing to try all the variations of the beverage and I am always open to new recommendations.

23 minutes ago, nivek3 said:

I wouldn't pay for a 6 pack of Keystone, but if I'm at a cookout this summer and the ice chest is full of Pepsi and stones? I'll gladly cool off with the beer. I'm beyond trying to impress a click in society. But it is pleasing to try all the variations of the beverage and I am always open to new recommendations.

I hear ya.  Most people on the shaggy/surly beer threads aren't trying to impress any "clicks" :D in society.  Just usually about sharing and celebrating good beer.

Since the macro breweries take rigorous and active measures to attempt to crush craft beer, there are simply a lot of us beer drinkers who choose not to support them in any ways at all, ever.  That's one reason you'll occasionally see some folks around here with less than positive opinions of craft breweries that have sold to macro.

1 minute ago, utee94 said:

I hear ya.  Most people on the shaggy/surly beer threads aren't trying to impress any "clicks" :D in society.  Just usually about sharing and celebrating good beer.

Since the macro breweries take rigorous and active measures to attempt to crush craft beer, there are simply a lot of us beer drinkers who choose not to support them in any ways at all, ever.  That's one reason you'll occasionally see some folks around here with less than positive opinions of craft breweries that have sold to macro.

Sounds fair enough. I'm a big fan of supporting the mom & pop's of the world over any corporation for sure. 

Quick story about Revolver's new owner. My cousin is an electrician and had to do some work at the Miller plant in south Fort Worth a few years back. He said he would never drink a Miller product again after seeing some of the things he saw while working there. He said it was one of the most filthy and poor conditions he had ever seen for a factory. So there you go. Think about that the next time your enjoying that Lite beer.

A lot of these bought out craft breweries aren’t changing their operations after getting bought. It’s just a change in revenue stream. Karbach and Ballast Point haven’t seen any drop in quality after they were purchased by macro. The decision to stop buying a beer after its bought out by macro is a purely sentimental one IMO, and that’s all right. 

5 minutes ago, Biscuits And Groovy said:

A lot of these bought out craft breweries aren’t changing their operations after getting bought. It’s just a change in revenue stream. Karbach and Ballast Point haven’t seen any drop in quality after they were purchased by macro. The decision to stop buying a beer after its bought out by macro is a purely sentimental one IMO, and that’s all right. 

Same with Lagunitas or Goose Island.

I get why someone would avoid these products to keep the money away from InBev, but as long as the product is good, I'm still drinking it some.

28 minutes ago, nivek3 said:

Thinking about grabbing something new tomorrow to stretch my horizon a little. Any suggestions? I saw someone earlier mention The Abyss.

Looked it up. ABV: 11.90%

Wow.

Lone Pint Yellow Rose is my recommendation if you haven’t tried it.  It’s like IPA crack.  

1 hour ago, Biscuits And Groovy said:

For some people it's sentimental.  But as I already stated, the macro breweries actively try to crush craft beer competition. Sometimes they do it illegally, or at the very least operating at the fringes of the law. For me, it's not a sentimental decision not to support a company that is actively and sometimes viciously attempting to destroy breweries and beers that I love.

Edited by utee94

3 hours ago, Biscuits And Groovy said:

that’s a supremely uninformed opinion

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, PhatAtUT said:

Agreed. It's been discussed before the kind of bullshit inBev pulls. That's the reason I don't buy their beers.

I understand the vast majority of people couldn't care less about stuff like that though.

4 minutes ago, PhatAtUT said:

I wasn't saying that its a bad or good decision. I was just saying that no one stopped buying Karbach, Lagunitas, Ballast Point, Goose Island because the quality tanked after they were bought out. I don't buy those beers when other options are available but they're all still just as good as they were before being bought out. Hell, Love Street is still one of the best Kolsh beers made in Texas. I like it better than Lawnmower, but I still usually buy Lawnmower when both are available, for sentimental reasons. I guess this is a more practical reason to avoid macro beer, but its nothing related to quality of the product. That's what I was getting at. 

Still buy Lagunitas, but I am wary of Goose Island. I had to drain pour a few bottles of their BCCS due to infection which would of never happened under original ownership. IMO.   

still buy a couple bottles of the BCBS each year but it's no longer special. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Biscuits And Groovy said:

Hell, Love Street is still one of the best Kolsh beers made in Texas. I like it better than Lawnmower, but I still usually buy Lawnmower when both are available, for sentimental reasons. 

We talking TX kolsch's give me St. Elmo - Carl followed closely by Peticolas - Golden Opportunity and Hops and Grain - 78702. 

6 hours ago, Texas007 said:

86269.jpgAdelbert's quad & tripel are both on point. I believe it's only available in the big bottle (750ml)

I would go with a Tripel Karmeliet or St. Bernardus Tripel, but I haven't had anything from Adelbert's in probably 5 years.

13 hours ago, Bottlecap said:

Haze County has been wildly inconsistent for me lately.

Have many others had the same experience?  I recently had Haze County for the first time and the six pack I had seemed to have some off flavors.     

On 3/26/2018 at 1:18 PM, Al_4_ISU said:

All New Glarus is Wisky only distribution.  IMO it's their golden goose.  They make really good beer, steer clear from anything trendy, and keep it exclusive.  The fact that it's hard to come by makes people crave it more, and it's also a source of pride for the in-state market.

I'm about an hour from the border, and just happened to get over that way last Wednesday.  My in-laws spend summer weekends boating on the Mississippi, so it stays in my fridge for most of the Memorial Day to Labor Day window.

As the way it should be, last year at my wedding, my Brother and SIL stocked the mini fridge with Spotted Cow at our hotel for the night before the wedding. They drove down with that delivery.

3 hours ago, nivek3 said:

Alright so I was at my cousin's place earlier and I had a Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale. It wasn't bad, but it seemed to get bitter the warmer it got though. Anyone familiar with this one?

You were probably just tasting the beer. Can't taste ice cold beer...just the way the big boys like it.

12 hours ago, NIUHuskies said:

As the way it should be, last year at my wedding, my Brother and SIL stocked the mini fridge with Spotted Cow at our hotel for the night before the wedding. They drove down with that delivery.

I love how I always feel like a bootlegger when I bring New Glarus home.  It adds to the appeal.

It's almost as much fun as when my cousin went to law school in Tulsa, and I'd head down from Des Moines on a Friday afternoon to party for the weekend.  He had a buddy who loved Coors, but hated that Oklahoma only sold fulls strength Coors at 3.2%.  So I'd fill several coolers with full strength Coors Original that had been bought cold in Iowa, and drive it down to Tulsa to fill his fridge.

I was actually Bandit.