2018 Beer

HenryJames

Enjoying a beer brought back by mdmost that he picked up for me in the Portland airport. Wish more airports had local beers you could buy ((inside security)) that you can carry on the plane and bring home with you. The only two I know of/have been to are in SFO (the Napa Market store has OK but not great beers but a decent enough amount of them) and Stone brewpub in the San Diego airport has a cooler with beers to go though, given that it’s Stone and their beers are everywhere, it is nothing all that exotic/something you probably could get back home.

ce061f0ce53eac1fd0326ce1506519d0.jpg

Enjoying a beer brought back by mdmost that he picked up for me in the Portland airport. Wish more airports had local beers you could buy ((inside security)) that you can carry on the plane and bring home with you. The only two I know of/have been to are in SFO (the Napa Market store has OK but not great beers but a decent enough amount of them) and Stone brewpub in the San Diego airport has a cooler with beers to go though, given that it’s Stone and their beers are everywhere, it is nothing all that exotic/something you probably could get back home.

ce061f0ce53eac1fd0326ce1506519d0.jpg

You can get crowlers of pecan porter at the salt lick in ABIA. Also read something about a shop in Nashville airport, but never fly through there.

Way random but I was trying to empty some of the heavys in my beer fridge for the Easter festivities with the family. I found a box of these in the back and anticipated they were going to be a pour after sitting on them for 3-4 years. My god, they are perfect. Best pumpkin beer ever.

Now onto other things like Serendipity from New Glarus and heavys like a couple years aged BBH w cherry and BCBS. 39b24df18b1e6bf17fbf2247cdbf130e.jpg

19 hours ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

Way random but I was trying to empty some of the heavys in my beer fridge for the Easter festivities with the family. I found a box of these in the back and anticipated they were going to be a pour after sitting on them for 3-4 years. My god, they are perfect. Best pumpkin beer ever.

Now onto other things like Serendipity from New Glarus and heavys like a couple years aged BBH w cherry and BCBS. 39b24df18b1e6bf17fbf2247cdbf130e.jpg

I loved that stuff.  Haven't seen it come through town in a couple of years.

11 minutes ago, Bottlecap said:

Godziskie has been my favorite beer of LO's for years. I had a few at the brewery yesterday to get a good primer for the canned release. 3.0% ABV beer is fuckin great -- when its meant to be that and not some Okie ass shit.

Their lightweight offerings are money.

On 3/31/2018 at 9:05 PM, GreenspointTexas said:

Just opened a bottle of their barrel aged St Simon. Infected. $17 down the tubes, literally

chiming in here, friend of the program.  i reached out to the founder and he asked if you could send an email to the info@ email address that is on the website (www.hisignbrewing.com) to let him and the head brewer know the details.

also, this was some tasty stuff at my daughter's 5th birthday party on saturday (she stuck to capri sun):

pMCc3kf.jpg

40 minutes ago, mdleast said:

The time I was able to have a fresh Surly Xtra, I thought it was tremendous.

However, I’m also a guy who looks forward to getting to have a Celis Raspberry again so weigh what I say accordingly.

It's a damn fine beer when fresh.

Problem for me is that when that came out, I still felt Surly was the brewery that set the bar in the Upper Midwest and made some of the best beers I'd drank.  As they expanded, the product hitting distro seems a little less adventurous than it used to, and just not at the same level.  A big part of that is that the way the beer scene has exploded in the same area with a high level of excellent small breweries that have the flexibility to put out small batches of riskier beers.  This beer seemed like a sign of Surly becoming a staid monolith, and I resented it for that.

So I had unreasonable expectations, basically, and didn't give it a fair shake.  While I don't see Surly as the pinnacle any more, they still make really good beer that I still drink plenty of.

21 minutes ago, captained said:

chiming in here, friend of the program.  i reached out to the founder and he asked if you could send an email to the info@ email address that is on the website (www.hisignbrewing.com) to let him and the head brewer know the details. 

Isn't their brewhouse pretty much automated, tho? Probably something to do with packaging. This is their first bottle release, right? Doesn't shock me that something weird might occur on that part of the process. But I dunno, maybe they brewed this batch on the pilot and the infection was during the brew.

Cool, then I sure hope the large retailers are ready and willing to add a slot for another year-rounder.  I currently have every LO variety in cans in my beer fridge, except for Fest, since I forgot to save any and drank it all one weekend...

3 hours ago, Bottlecap said:

Grodz is a year rounder, right? Gold is coming off at summer, probably for Berliner

It will be interesting to see how well it sells.  We see other breweries substituting out one of their year rounders for another IPA or APA.  Live Oak just says old-world style lagers is what we do and you will get a smoked beer.  Love it...

yeppers.  12-4, 12-6 something like that.  strange setup there as far as a tasting room goes (or the lack thereof), but their beer was excellent.  had pecan porter on nitro and co2, as well as this new 4-citrus white ipa.  it was excellent.  the citrus cut the hops bitterness nicely.   they have a bourbon barrel coming out soon but only in large bottles, aka jester king.