Austin living recos

Will be working in the domain. Have a daughter that is about to play hs soccer and a jr high boy who plays football and baseball.

Deciding between circle c and great hills.

Like great hills/murchison/Anderson a lot, but worried it’s so spread out my kids friends won’t live close enough to hang out, no neighborhood teams etc.

Worried about the commute from circle c.

Any advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, the commute is a huge differentiator there.  What makes you think Great Hills is too spread out?  We have several friends who live there and the kids are at the pool all the time, etc.  Obviously 360 is pretty much a barrier to NW Hills but it's not like there are not Anderson/Murchison kids on the west side of that highway.

Circle C will be a very difficult commute. Great Hills is an excellent area, as are some other options in the area. In my spare time I do real estate, have a license, and do deals for friends and family. I was heavily involved in that area. Probably walked every house for sale. Fee free to pm if you want more details.

Budget?  Build preferences (new, remodel, etc.)? HoA or no?

Just sold my 1975 ranch in RR West for shy of $400k, Phil could prolly speak to area hot spots way better but there's a LOT of good-to-great neighborhoods that are going nuts on the north side.

2 minutes ago, Hefeweizen said:

I just moved from Meridian, in part because if the commute.

Listen to everyone here and find something in Great Hills, Jester, or NW Hills if you're set on AISD.

Agreed.  Attendance zone spread is not a big issue w/r/t hanging out with friends.

• 2 months later...

You guys that know Central, North/Central Austin, how big of differences are there in the varying neighborhoods? I'm probably moving back there soon and this is the area I am going to live, but when I was in Austin before I didn't live in that area or spend too much time there. Commute isn't a factor, as long as I'm in the Hyde Park, Allandale, Crestview, North Loop, etc. I'm renting, so it's not a long term thing. Domain doesn't appeal to me.  

Initially I thought Hyde Park, but it seems I can get a little more if I go just north to those areas. I'm 42, single guy, no kids and don't care about nightlife much anymore. Just like the older neighborhoods and character in that area. Walkability is kind of why I was thinking about Hyde Park, but I don't know if I really will walk down to the coffee shop that much anyway. And is less space for the money really worth it to live there? 

I'm just not sure if those areas are divided up at all by families, young professionals, grad students, artsy folk, hipsters etc. Or if it's just all kind of the same but a little different in their own way.  

You guys that know Central, North/Central Austin, how big of differences are there in the varying neighborhoods? I'm probably moving back there soon and this is the area I am going to live, but when I was in Austin before I didn't live in that area or spend too much time there. Commute isn't a factor, as long as I'm in the Hyde Park, Allandale, Crestview, North Loop, etc. I'm renting, so it's not a long term thing. Domain doesn't appeal to me.  
Initially I thought Hyde Park, but it seems I can get a little more if I go just north to those areas. I'm 42, single guy, no kids and don't care about nightlife much anymore. Just like the older neighborhoods and character in that area. Walkability is kind of why I was thinking about Hyde Park, but I don't know if I really will walk down to the coffee shop that much anyway. And is less space for the money really worth it to live there? 
I'm just not sure if those areas are divided up at all by families, young professionals, grad students, artsy folk, hipsters etc. Or if it's just all kind of the same but a little different in their own way.  

I am a few years younger but was in the same situation. I bought in Hyde Park, because it is the only neighborhood that is somewhat walkable.

You pay for the area but really aren’t benefits imo besides semi-walkable and even then it is minimally walkable. Super happy I bought but the cost is way higher.

Lot more renters in Hyde Park too. I think from an investment standpoint, my rationale was that if I moved it would be easier to make this a rental property than other areas.

Happy to answer any questions.

3 hours ago, BBQ2Bayou said:

All of the places you mentioned are fine options.  Hyde Park is the most walkable, and it tends to have a lot of rentals with grad students living in them.  Not a bad choice if single. 

Of the places you mentioned, Allandale has the largest lots and best elementary school, so it tends to attract families. The neighborhood has a bit of a crunchy vibe, but it also has a lot of professionals and folks that work in tech. Crestview/Brentwood would be slightly less professional and slightly more hipster than Allandale.  

You should also look into Rosedale. 

I lived in Cat Mountain area for a while and that areas once once all original owners however has had a major influx of new/growing families. School system is Highland Park but then over to the other side of MoPac to Lamar and McCallum so that might fit the "spread out" thing you are looking to avoid. Area just to the north along Far West/GreyStone has a lot of families and are all close to the school systems there. Not really walkable however there is more and more along Far West that's really close. (JCC/Kosher HEB/etc)

Going west from here to Lakewood and Jester you are going to find homes a little more outdated... I'm not that sure about Lakewood but my feel is that it still a bit old folks while Jester is starting to be much younger ones/new families. Both have HOA Pool areas and are pretty self contained.

As was started above north of Great Hills gets you into Westwood (RR ISD) which is a great school and nice area and should be an easy commute to Domain.

On 4/28/2019 at 10:23 PM, Ollie Slatt said:

You should also look into Rosedale. 

Yes, if you are thinking walkability is something Rosedale has Ramsey park, close to the Triangle, and depending on whether north or south of 45th you have a bunch of stuff along Burnet or along Medical. Burnet quickly becoming quite the place with options for just about everything you would want.