Ronstadt "New" Live Album

hullabelew

From a 1980 concert (from the Mad Love tour) and I have a HUGE problem with it.   It is only a single disc, not a double.   

Album kicks off with this stunner.  Has anyone ever attacked a song in such glory?    Band is phenomenal.  Rumors of this have been floating around for years because this was filmed for a concert video, but apparently the master tapes were recently discovered and thank the lord that everyone signed off on this.    I could bitch about the songs they left out, but then I'm just bitching about greatness.  

• Like 2

I'm gonna make y'all jealous. Got to see her live at Armadillo World Headquarters. It was right after Don't Cry Now came out and before Heart Like a Wheel, so she wasn't a superstar yet. There was a big crowd, but not the crazy crowds she drew later. Got there early and parked at the front of the stage about five feet from her microphone stand. She was every bit as beautiful as she was in the photos. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nole-4-Life said:

Dammit man what a voice! I'm too lazy to research but I wonder if that's Korchmar on guitar.

Yep.  

Danny Korchmar on guitar
Kenny Edwards on guitar and other goodies
Dan Dugmore on steel and guitar
Russ Kunklel on drums
Bob Glaub on bass
BGV:  Wendy Waldman and Peter Asher
Bill Payne on keyboards

I think that's everyone.  The last hidden track on the CD is her introducing the band.  I haven't had time to get in to the liner notes.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, hullabelew said:

Damn you Kimball.  

I saw her in 2000/2001 when Emmylou was touring with Red Dirt Girl.  Her health was already starting to fail but man, she could still sing.  Blue Bayou left the entire hall breathless.  

Yeah, time changes things. The Armadillo concert was 74. This youtube video is 76, so about the same era. She sang this song, and made eye contact with me when she sang the line, "if you want me to beg, I'll fall down on my knees." Thought I was gonna die. She was wearing jeans, not the miniskirt, though. 

• Like 1

I always think of my freshman high school English teacher when I think of Ronstadt. She had a giant poster of Linda in the roller skates on the wall of her classroom, because she said people thought she looked like her.

Not even close.

Edited by Deej

Nothing new here in this interview, story's been the same for about 6 years... but this is her latest one, from earlier this month.  You can't help but shed a tear.
Bottom line: Parkinson's completely, utterly took her voice away (7:46-8:04 here).  But man is she ever a wonderful, warm spirit.  It seems like the cruelest thing to lose the thing that is so priceless (I also think of Dudley Moore's sad decline and how he witnessed himself slowly losing his wit and hand dexterity (keyboards)... by the last 1 1/2 years of his life he could play almost nothing).

Anyway, man she is still a sweetheart, even in what must be maddening.  But at least she did have her day, and have it, did she ever.

• Like 2

That is how I learned about this new album coming out.   And I can't quit listening to the opening track of this new record...at HIGH volume.  Damn, she just ATTACKS that song.  And then there is this.  Fuck.  I don't know how she never blew her voice out.  

And was it this one?  

linda-ronstadt-record-1024x1024.jpg

22 hours ago, hullabelew said:

Yep.  

Danny Korchmar on guitar
Kenny Edwards on guitar and other goodies
Dan Dugmore on steel and guitar
Russ Kunklel on drums
Bob Glaub on bass
BGV:  Wendy Waldman and Peter Asher
Bill Payne on keyboards

I think that's everyone.  The last hidden track on the CD is her introducing the band.  I haven't had time to get in to the liner notes.  

It's actually Kortchmar.  That's a ridiculous "back up" band.  I can't imagine the google search results for that crew and who they have played/written/toured with since 1980.

41 minutes ago, NBMisha said:

Wow.  I was at that 74 Armadillo show.  Pretty sure my mouth was open and tongue hanging out the whole time.  Well, I was 19.

Such a great collection of shows there during my time.  This is pretty much way up there.

Remember the warm up band? They kept getting pissed cause everyone was ignoring them waiting for Linda. When they closed, the lead singer said, "We'd like to thank y'all for being such assholes." 

Ronstadt was the real deal. No lip syncing at her concerts, damn good back up musicians (I think they were her studio musicians,) and she could belt them out where they sounded as good live as they did on the albums. 

She also showed up sober and ready to give a full performance. Armadillo concerts were notorious for starting hours late (supposedly start at 9 P and band comes out after midnight) and for the band to be too wasted to perform. 

Worst one was Maria Muldaur. Came out after midnight, did four songs and left, and I think  she lip synced. 

A lot of the bands from that era saw their careers crash when they went on the road, cause the same studio musicians did backup for all of them and they just pretended to play instruments. The studios played with the vocals to smooth out the voices, and when they got out on the road without all the studio cleanup, they couldn't replicate what came out of the studio. 

Edited by Richard Kimball

I saw Muldaur in Anchorage, at some shitty bar, around 1981.  She was by then a complete wreck.  Abused the audience, etc.    

Strangely, I don't remember the warmup band.  I'm sure I was in altered states by then. I wouldn't have shown up til about 9, with homework and whatnot.

Show I remember the most:  Brian Auger and Oblivion Express.  Blew the freaking roof off that place.  I didn't stop moving to the beat for a couple of days.

On 2/25/2019 at 6:51 PM, phdhorn said:

Nothing new here in this interview, story's been the same for about 6 years... but this is her latest one, from earlier this month.  You can't help but shed a tear.
Bottom line: Parkinson's completely, utterly took her voice away (7:46-8:04 here).  But man is she ever a wonderful, warm spirit.  It seems like the cruelest thing to lose the thing that is so priceless (I also think of Dudley Moore's sad decline and how he witnessed himself slowly losing his wit and hand dexterity (keyboards)... by the last 1 1/2 years of his life he could play almost nothing).

Anyway, man she is still a sweetheart, even in what must be maddening.  But at least she did have her day, and have it, did she ever.

That's fantastic.  Some of the clips of her in that "History of the Eagles" HBO doc were so damn sexy.  She was such a hot little spinner back then.

It's interesting how there is a bit of a Tejano vibe to her singing.  If you believe Wiki, she has just a small Mexican heritage, but it seems like her formative years in Arizona might have influenced her tone and style.  (csb:  an ex girlfriend of mine is an Austinite whose father came here from Arizona on an IBM transfer.  He went to HS with Linda.  Said she was always smokin' hot but sort of a wallflower.)

Edited by jimmyjazz

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
On 4/26/2019 at 10:46 AM, UTCzech III said:

Saw it last weekend.  It is good.  Would have liked to have seen it dig a little more into her personal life aside from her childhood, but it does a good job of illustrating just how great her voice was -- as Dolly Parton says in the documentary, Ronstadt could sing anything.  Rock, show tunes, opera, canciones, R&B, country . . . she could do it all.  

• Like 1

It's playing at the River Oaks now.  

LINDA RONSTADT: THE SOUND OF MY VOICE (PG13) 1 hrs, 35 mins RELEASE: 09/06/2019

Since bursting onto the music scene in 1967, Linda Ronstadt has been an icon for more than 50 years. Her extraordinary vocal range and ambition created unforgettable songs across rock, pop, country, folk ballads, American standards, classic Mexican music and soul. As the most popular female recording artist of the 1970s—with songs like “You’re No Good,” “When Will I Be Loved,” and “Blue Bayou”—Ronstadt filled huge arenas and produced an astounding eleven Platinum albums. In Linda Ronstadt: The Sound of My Voice, Ronstadt is our guide through her early years of singing Mexican canciones with her family; her folk days with the Stone Poneys; and her reign as the “rock queen” of the ‘70s and early ’80s. She was a pioneer for women in the male-dominated music industry; a passionate advocate for human rights, and had a high-profile romance with California Governor Jerry Brown. Ultimately, her singing voice was stilled by illness and forced her into retirement but her music and influence remain as timeless as ever. With moving performance footage and appearances by friends and collaborators including Dolly Parton, Emmylou Harris, Bonnie Raitt and Jackson Browne, Linda Ronstadt: The Sound of My Voice celebrates an artist whose desire to share the music she loved made generations of fans fall in love with her—and the sound of her voice.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/25/2019 at 8:15 PM, Deej said:

I always think of my freshman high school English teacher when I think of Ronstadt. She had a giant poster of Linda in the roller skates on the wall of her classroom, because she said people thought she looked like her.

Not even close.

My sister thought she looked like LR when she was in HS.  She kind of did... if LR had fallen out of an ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down.  

Linda was one of the first shows I saw at the Erwin Center when I hit Jester in '78. I'm pretty sue George Benson was the first one with Linda a few weeks later.

I loved her.

It was great being able to just walk over to see those two and Springsteen, Dylan, Yes, Genesis, et al.