The Umbrella Academy

joeycovers

1 hour ago, ajax said:

It was great. One of Netflix's best shows.

The guy who plays Klaus is awesome.

Ellen Page seems to have completely skipped her 30s and now looks like a 45 year old woman.

Is there a current actress who epitomizes plain and unnoticed and average like Ellen Page? 

14 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

She is completely devoid of any sense of humor. She’s just so fucking serious all the time.

I think Ellen Page was great in her role but you're right. Reminds me of this Jim Jefferies bit.

50 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Is there a current actress who epitomizes plain and unnoticed and average like Ellen Page? 

Brie Larson?

*ducks*

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, ajax said:

It was great. One of Netflix's best shows.

The guy who plays Klaus is awesome.

Ellen Page seems to have completely skipped her 30s and now looks like a 45 year old woman.

Klaus was my 2nd  favorite character behind Hazel. Klaus actor looks like a younger James Franco. 

12 minutes ago, joeycovers said:

Mary J had one of my favorite lines though. 

"Dried up Donut Whore"

A lot of the supportnling characters were great. Mary J, Hazel, mom and the monkey, everyone at the commission. The Handler was really good.

Some of the main characters not so much. I thought #1 (aka Dickon from GoT), Allison, and Diego were pretty weak.

16 minutes ago, joeycovers said:

Klaus was my 2nd  favorite character behind Hazel. Klaus actor looks like a younger James Franco. 

He looks more like James Franco than Dave Franco does.

Really surprised me, I thought the trailer looked really bad. There are some casting problems as mentioned above, and I don't like the wierd dance interludes, but overall it's pretty strong. 

I'm a fan of world building and this does a pretty great job of it. 

I had "I think we are alone now" stuck in my head most of the weekend. It's been years since I heard that song, it gave me flashbacks of middle school.

Favorite character was number 5, whoever the actor is killed that role. Not once did it come off as a kid playing an adult, he really did seem like an adult trapped in a kid body. Most of those "Freaky Friday" type movies failed to pull this off.

Klaus was great too. He was also in Fortitude and played an eccentric tormented type in that one as well although Klaus was tempered with a good bit of humor.

Hazel was great too. I used his phrase "elaborate" on my teenagers a couple of times already. It is pretty good for extracting more information without having to ask questions.

Grace (mom) was good in more ways than one, she is hot. Towards the very end, her voice and expressions became more human which was a nice touch. I really appreciated the idea of some of the kids forming a closer bond with her than others. Diego saw her as a mama but some of the others questioned their emotional attachment to her. It was a small side story but an interesting idea to ponder.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, F250 said:

Grace (mom) was good in more ways than one, she is hot. 

Please tell me I'm not the only one that got aroused every time mom said something like "No, silly".

And I want to know how Number 5 banged Dolores. Cuz you know he banged her.

17 minutes ago, ajax said:

Please tell me I'm not the only one that got aroused every time mom said something like "No, silly".

And I want to know how Number 5 banged Dolores. Cuz you know he banged her.

Not the only one. She said it with a certain level of charm.

I wondered that too. I remember thinking "he probably went to town on that mannequin."

I'm 6 episodes in and I'm not as big a fan.  I'll finish it out, but Luther, Allison, Diego, and Vanya are beatings.  Page may be the biggest name attached to the show but she isn't doing her character much justice.  I have no idea of the source material, so maybe that's how she is.  Those guys need to be on a CW show and not this.

Klaus, Hazel, and Number 5 are all great though.

Luther and Allison were flat. The constant quarrels between the siblings were tedious. Locking Vanya up in a cage seemed like a contrived plot device. And every time you bring time travel to a movie, the plot inevitably becomes Swiss cheese. Having said all that, I liked it.

Page is like a real life Velma. Not Linda cardellini, Velma, but cartoon Velma. There is just nothing there. She peaked in Juno. 

That being said, series was great for all the reasons stated above. 

Edited by pops

1 minute ago, NorLa Horns said:

Ive liked Ellen Page in everything I've seen her in. But after her last late night show comments, i have no desire to see anything else she does. 

These people need to realize that flapping their gums can affect their bottom line. 

What did she say?

5 episodes in now and the entire show just never clicked for me... the story, the humor, the intrigue, the quirkiness, the sympathy/relatability, etc... nothing.  I have to finish it because I've started, but its all a bit of a mess

14 hours ago, 52-80 said:

5 episodes in now and the entire show just never clicked for me... the story, the humor, the intrigue, the quirkiness, the sympathy/relatability, etc... nothing.  I have to finish it because I've started, but its all a bit of a mess

Same here. After 5 episodes too. I'll probably finish as well. 

same same.  i like all the pieces, but didn't really stick together like a completed puzzle is supposed to.

there never seemed to be a clear mission.  we have to do this, we have to do that, but then they would get distracted, and the story became disjointed.  the scene in ep5 or so when they all jump back and 5 finally explains what's going on should've happened earlier so everyone had something to do.

shit, for the first 2-3 episodes, i thought it was going to be about solving the dad's murder.  also vanya's boyfriend storyline was all the fuck over the place.  the only real purpose he served was to throw away her pills, and i guess anger her (although with no pills, that would've happened eventually).  the time travel police were great, but even their story bounced around aimlessly until hazel wanted out.

the kids were often grouped in weird, uneven teams going on odd, short missions.  the stuff with diego getting arrested, klaus in vietnam, luthor finding out about the moon mission - all of that was distracting filler that didn't further the plot at all.  i don't know the source material, but i never felt story momentum like i should, especially in a netflix/binge structure.

was also hoping for more of a twist/oh shit moment in the last 2 episodes that carried us to the end, but that didn't happen, as vanya basically turned into some supernatural character, impossible to defeat.  and i assume i wasn't the only one, when vanya discovered her powers, to say, "well, she's gonna be the reason for the apocalypse."  the glass eye was a red herring that lasted several episodes too long.

11 minutes ago, Scary Stranger said:

Question about the last episode's intro:

Reveal hidden contents

So was Hargreeves an alien or a time traveler?  I was somewhat confused about what the scene with the dying lady and the missiles was trying to convey.

its supposed to be ambiguous to serve as teaser for possible season 2... and it is probably the most intriguing part of the story now since the back story of the kids are zzzZZZzzZZ

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/12/2019 at 10:19 AM, Scary Stranger said:

Question about the last episode's intro:

Hide contents

So was Hargreeves an alien or a time traveler?  I was somewhat confused about what the scene with the dying lady and the missiles was trying to convey.

Spoiler

I'm assuming time traveler as he apparently had advance knowledge that allowed him to be a business tycoon and also anticipate/know to adopt the kids when they were born.  I half expect season 2 to reveal that he is actually #5 grown old in the "world was saved timeline" gone back to ensure his younger self does what needs to be done.

• 1 year later...