His Dark Materials - BBC/HBO (late 2019)

Js1

• 8 months later...

First episode felt clunky and the acting was a little awkward. This feels like a "Oh shit! We gotta find something to replace Game of Thrones." To be fair, I felt the same way about GoT after the first few episodes. Is this one of those shows where it only makes sense at first if you read the books? Probably gonna have to have a bookfags vs. illiterati thread if this show takes off.

Good first episode. The main three characters were close to perfect casting. Evil duck lips is great in everything.

Still baffled over casting Lin-Manuel Miranda as Lee Scoresby, who's supposed to be a young, tough Texan (the movie screwed that up too, with a 63 year old Sam Elliott).

Andrew Scott, Helen McCrory and James Cosmo should also be great.

4 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

Can a bookfag explain to me what the deal is with the familiars/daemons? They gave a brief explanation at the beginning but I still dont get it. 

Dæmons are the external physical manifestation of a person's 'inner-self' that takes the form of an animal. Dæmons have human intelligence, are capable of human speech—regardless of the form they take—and usually behave as though they are independent of their humans. Pre-pubescent children's dæmons can change form voluntarily, almost instantaneously, to become any creature, real or imaginary. During their adolescence a person's dæmon undergoes "settling", an event in which that person's dæmon permanently and involuntarily assumes the form of the animal which the person most resembles in character. Dæmons are usually of the opposite sex to their human, though same-sex dæmons do exist.

Although dæmons mimic the appearance and behaviour of the animals they resemble perfectly, dæmons are not true animals, and humans, other dæmons, and true animals are able to distinguish them on sight. The faculty or quality that makes this possible is not explained in the books, but it is demonstrated extensively, and is reliable enough to allow humans to distinguish a bird-shaped dæmon within a flock of birds in flight.

Dæmons frequently interact with each other in ways that mirror the behaviour of their humans, such as fighting one another when their humans are fighting, or nuzzling one another when their humans embrace, and such contact between dæmons is unremarkable. However, human contact with another individual's dæmon is taboo.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, hayden_horn said:

what do yall think, is it appropriate for 11 and 12 year olds?

I think it would be fine. But I let my 4 year old watch Jurassic Park because he likes dinosaurs and that's the best dinosaur movie. My wife freaked out. So I'm probably not the best judge of that stuff.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

I think it would be fine. But I let my 4 year old watch Jurassic Park because he likes dinosaurs and that's the best dinosaur movie. My wife freaked out. So I'm probably not the best judge of that stuff.

well, they have seen band of brothers and stranger things, so i ain't the best judge myself. 

I loved the books, was indifferent to the movie.  I'm enjoying this so far and my kids are really digging it (12yo girl, 10yo boy) so it's good family movie time.  My girl who is a bigtime reader now wants to read the books, so that's a positive thing as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

This show is getting good. Like Pinky Blinders good. CHIEF Jr. says GOT good, I won't go that far. I save up and binge watch about three or four episodes at a time. It's at Season 2 Episode 5. They may wrap it up this season, usually less than 300,000 viewers.

CHIEF

Edited by CHIEF

11 hours ago, CHIEF said:

This show is getting good. Like Pinky Blinders good. CHIEF Jr. says GOT good, I won't go that far. I save up and binge watch about three or four episodes at a time. It's at Season 2 Episode 5. They may wrap it up this season, usually less than 300,000 viewers.

CHIEF

its one of the shows i'm enjoying most recently.  i hope they dont cancel it, but at some point the plot has to run thin.  it's more of a kids show than the others you compared to, but still good enough for adults to stay interested in.

16 hours ago, thrillhammer said:

its one of the shows i'm enjoying most recently.  i hope they dont cancel it, but at some point the plot has to run thin.  it's more of a kids show than the others you compared to, but still good enough for adults to stay interested in.

It’s been renewed for a third and final season. 

31 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

was last night the season finale?  kind of felt like it.   this season was by far better than last.

It was.  COVID took an episode from them, it felt very incomplete and rushed and cobbled together with bits of filming from when they thought they'd have 8 episodes. 

Spoiler

Lee's death should have had more impact had it been the major plot point of the second to last episode and not just jammed into a rushed finale for a shortened season