Texas hires former K-State offensive assistant Andre Coleman as an analyst

Machinator

3 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Is there a limit on analyst?  Just curious if these new hires are replacing other analyst or are we just building an army.

Doesn't appear to be. I'm sure the NCAA will make a rule on it at some point.

Edited by Machinator

14 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Is there a limit on analyst?  Just curious if these new hires are replacing other analyst or are we just building an army.

Will get shit from the legislature about these line items salaries that fall outside the official headcount long before the NCAA ask us any questions 

Ian Boyd on the Coleman hire:

Andre Coleman, 2018 OC for the Kansas State Wildcats, is the most recent coach to take a job as an analyst for Tom Herman at Texas.

The 2018 season was a rough one for the Wildcats on offense. They had a strong OL and a stud RB in Alex Barnes, but they wasted much of the early season (to Coleman's frustration) trying to use Alex Delton as a QB when he was basically hopeless at executing their passing game. Eventually Bill Snyder gave way and they made Skylar Thompson the full-time QB and retooled the offense around RPOs and QB keepers around the edge rather than the downhill QB power run game.

Once Barnes was established as the main feature of the offense (after the Texas game), K-State went 3-4 and their back broke 100 rushing in every game save for against Oklahoma.

Coleman was once a star WR at Kansas State in the early 90s when Snyder's trick for getting ahead of everyone was by using a spread passing game before it was cool and ubiquitous. He wanted to return the Wildcats to that strategy with Skylar Thompson but Snyder's resistance and ultimately his retirement thwarted that plan. Thompson only broke 200 yards passing twice all year and their collection of WRs was diminished without Byron Pringle as a deep ball threat.

Overall Coleman brings some of the Snyder wizardry, a knack for spread-iso passing in particular, and also a lot of institutional knowledge of the Big 12 in general. Snyder's understanding of the league and collection of gameplans for every opponent is a treasure trove and to access even some of it via Coleman would be immensely valuable for Herman's staff.

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

Will get shit from the legislature about these line items salaries that fall outside the official headcount long before the NCAA ask us any questions 

Meh, I think we had like 400+ employees at one point during Patterson's tenure. CDC has already put in a plan to reduce overall AD head count, some of which gets shifted to these analyst positions. I hope basketball and baseball can get some of this sort of help as well.

3 hours ago, texifornia said:

Special Teams help too.....

"Coleman's primary role during his NFL career was as a kick returner, gaining 4,466 yards and two touchdowns returning kickoffs. He also added 384 yards and a touchdown returning punts, and caught 43 passes for 602 yards and three touchdowns. As a rookie, Coleman played in Super Bowl XXIX with the Chargers and set several Super Bowl records in the game: most kickoff returns (8), most return yards (244), and most total yards (244). Coleman had a 98-yard kickoff return for a touchdown in the game, tied for the second longest kickoff return in Super Bowl history."

Edited by LTtxfan

Just now, Nowhichski said:

Does he have a role in recruiting? Or no, just analysis? 

He can interact with recruits when they are on campus, but I imagine his primary role will be scouting, game-planning, film study, etc. Having said that, apparently Coleman was a stud recruiter at Kansas State (relatively speaking), so if Herman thinks he can help out on visits (a la Samples), I'm sure he can pitch in.

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Special Teams help too.....

"Coleman's primary role during his NFL career was as a kick returner, gaining 4,466 yards and two touchdowns returning kickoffs. He also added 384 yards and a touchdown returning punts, and caught 43 passes for 602 yards and three touchdowns. As a rookie, Coleman played in Super Bowl XXIX with the Chargers and set several Super Bowl records in the game: most kickoff returns (8), most return yards (244), and most total yards (244). Coleman had a 98-yard kickoff return for a touchdown in the game, tied for the second longest kickoff return in Super Bowl history."

Please stop, I can only get so erect

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

He can interact with recruits when they are on campus, but I imagine his primary role will be scouting, game-planning, film study, etc. Having said that, apparently Coleman was a stud recruiter at Kansas State (relatively speaking), so if Herman thinks he can help out on visits (a la Samples), I'm sure he can pitch in.

These type hires are also an interview process. If Herman likes Coleman or Fedora he can hire them in an on the field role next year. 

Edited by texasstrong12

Here are the Quality Control Coach salaries from July 2017.  

William Stein Quality Control Coach (Exempt) INTERCOLLEGIATE ATHLETICS 20150323 WHITE MALE FULL TIME $44,375.00
Casey Horny Quality Control Coach (Exempt) INTERCOLLEGIATE ATHLETICS 19960816 WHITE MALE FULL TIME $42,102.00
Michael Huff Quality Control Coach (Exempt) INTERCOLLEGIATE ATHLETICS 20161003 BLACK MALE FULL TIME $35,625.00
Trey Haverty Quality Control Coach (Exempt) INTERCOLLEGIATE ATHLETICS 20170109 WHITE MALE FULL TIME $30,767.00
Roosevelt Maggitt Quality Control Coach (Exempt) INTERCOLLEGIATE ATHLETICS 20170120 BLACK MALE FULL TIME $29,148.00
Austin Bell Quality Control Coach (Exempt) INTERCOLLEGIATE ATHLETICS 20170606 WHITE MALE FULL TIME $11,335.00

32 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

These type hires are also an interview process. If Herman likes Coleman or Fedora he can hire them in an on the field role next year. 

As Lee Corso says..... "Not So Fast"

Per Anwar......Two more analyst nuggets to pass along:

1. A person close to Herman told me Fedora was not hired under the guise of him replacing anyone on staff. During a staff meeting Fedora attended, I was told Herman made it clear to everyone the former coach will be an analyst and this position is not a job interview.

2. There is a possibility Herman will hire six or seven analysts, with three of those positions filled by former head coaches and at least three grad assistants. Former Kansas coach David Beaty is a candidate for an analyst position at Texas, but I do not currently have names of other coaches who could be in the mix. I will keep you posted.

But texasstrong12 could still end up being right...

Edited by LTtxfan
typo

12 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

1. A person close to Herman told me Fedora was not hired under the guise of him replacing anyone on staff. During a staff meeting Fedora attended, I was told Herman made it clear to everyone the former coach will be an analyst and this position is not a job interview.

If Herman likes Fedora or Coleman you think he's going to let them walk? 

Herman, for whatever reason, is big on giving the perception of staff continuity.

Bottom line is with this new 1-year contract approach to assistants and good support staff it's an interview process for everyone. Do your job or there are probably better options at different levels. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, zalienman said:

Here are the Quality Control Coach salaries from July 2017.  

William Stein Quality Control Coach (Exempt) INTERCOLLEGIATE ATHLETICS 20150323 WHITE MALE FULL TIME $44,375.00
Casey Horny Quality Control Coach (Exempt) INTERCOLLEGIATE ATHLETICS 19960816 WHITE MALE FULL TIME $42,102.00
Michael Huff Quality Control Coach (Exempt) INTERCOLLEGIATE ATHLETICS 20161003 BLACK MALE FULL TIME $35,625.00
Trey Haverty Quality Control Coach (Exempt) INTERCOLLEGIATE ATHLETICS 20170109 WHITE MALE FULL TIME $30,767.00
Roosevelt Maggitt Quality Control Coach (Exempt) INTERCOLLEGIATE ATHLETICS 20170120 BLACK MALE FULL TIME $29,148.00
Austin Bell Quality Control Coach (Exempt) INTERCOLLEGIATE ATHLETICS 20170606 WHITE MALE FULL TIME $11,335.00

Somewhat disappointed to see these amounts are still so low, though I hope Horny asked for a raise and CDC said, 'No means no'.

Guys like Beaty and Fedora are getting paid on their buyouts, so the amounts don't matter that much to them, and Huff hopefully didn't blow all his NFL money on cars, but what about Coleman? Is he doing the analyst gig for peanuts because KSU is still paying him?

I hope Samples is getting more than this.

https://www.burntorangenation.com/2019/2/25/18240284/andre-coleman-hired-texas-longhorns-football-analyst-kansas-state-wildcats

"Coleman could help the Longhorns add elements of the unique quarterback run game and run-pass options used by the Wildcats in recent seasons. And, from Tyler Lockett to Deante Burton to Byron Pringle to Isaiah Zuber, Coleman also has a strong track record of coaching up wide receivers who weren’t highly recruited."

"Another area where Coleman could help the Longhorns? In the kick return game — he was an explosive player in that phase, even returning a kickoff for a touchdown in a Super Bowl. As a coach, Coleman helped tutor Morgan Burns in 2015 when Burns earned Big 12 Special Teams Player of the Year honors after four kickoff returns for touchdowns. In 2013, Coleman’s tutelage helped Tyler Lockett return two punts for touchdowns and lead the nation with a 19.1-yard average."

30 minutes ago, rickyspub said:

Somewhat disappointed to see these amounts are still so low, though I hope Horny asked for a raise and CDC said, 'No means no'.

Guys like Beaty and Fedora are getting paid on their buyouts, so the amounts don't matter that much to them, and Huff hopefully didn't blow all his NFL money on cars, but what about Coleman? Is he doing the analyst gig for peanuts because KSU is still paying him?

I hope Samples is getting more than this.

Coleman is taken care of.

https://www.kansas.com/sports/college/big-12/kansas-state/article196890814.html

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, rickyspub said:

Somewhat disappointed to see these amounts are still so low

I haven't looked at this closely but I'm betting those salaries aren't terrible for those type of QC assistants. Most of those guys are up-and-comers with little to no experience. 

Guys like Fedora, Beaty, and Coleman is where we should be spending the money. QC assistants with experience.