Media/Hollywood's anti-Christian campaign

Monster

19 minutes ago, tjhooker said:

Thats true. I don't deny that. That also is not very Christian.  Believe me I am not a fan of the Christian right.  They would not agree with me on many social issues.  I also think they turn off people.  That does not mean though this anti Christian bias should be tolerated in the media.  It bleeds through.  Whether it moves, TV or news reporting.  I think it comes from liberals blaming Christianity for all the sins of the past and the present for that matter so they feel the need for payback. 

Reality has an anti-christian bias you maroon.

• Like 6

The media isn't a monolith and speaking of it as one is ignorant. You (@Chrispy among many) selectively choose to consume the media that aligns with your views and then characterize anything that doesn't under one broad category where you select anecdotes to confirm your preconceived bias.  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, tjhooker said:

I am ejecting from this thread.  I know how it will continue to go.  The atheist who are very passionate and have much anger towards religion and especially Christian religion are going to nosedive this thread into the ground with insults and enormous illogical jumps to conculsions.  It is almost like finally someone to let all my anger at religion out on.  Peace. 

Well.....bye.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TornACL said:

How old are you, 70?

You think kids are watching network TV? LOL

Young people inherently see through the bullshit that is religion.  

For every Brisket who actually does God's work, there's a Joel Osteen getting rich, a Jerry Falwell Jr. selling out his beliefs to Donald Trump, a bunch of kids getting molested, and a bunch of kids getting thrown in cages while "Christians" do nothing but demonize them. 

And by that, I mean for every 1 Brisket, there is 5 Iconoclasts who want to go to the border and shoot immigrants but thinks he is a good Christian.

Edited by Js1
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, tjhooker said:

I am ejecting from this thread.  I know how it will continue to go.  The atheist who are very passionate and have much anger towards religion and especially Christian religion are going to nosedive this thread into the ground with insults and enormous illogical jumps to conculsions.  It is like finally someone to let all my anger at religion out on.  Peace. 

200.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Monster said:

movies and tv shows and reading too many message board/social media posts/news articles

Those are entertainment. Entertainment survives on popularity. If you started quoting news programs ,I might give a shit. 

And yes you do watch and read too much crap.

22 minutes ago, tjhooker said:

I am ejecting from this thread.  I know how it will continue to go.  The atheist who are very passionate and have much anger towards religion and especially Christian religion are going to nosedive this thread into the ground with insults and enormous illogical jumps to conculsions.  It is like finally someone to let all my anger at religion out on.  Peace. 

I am ejecting from this thread

coward

nosedive this thread

this thread was nosedived before you keyed in the password for that stupid sock.  if you had any idea how transparent you actually are, you might actually be of some value here.  go back to texags to lick your wound, creep.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, tjhooker said:

Lol.

40 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

Good. Religion is a scourge that is holding humanity back. It needs to mocked. It’s the same as believing in psychics and superstitions. It’s 2019. It’s ok, we understand that shit happens and we don’t need a mystical explanation. 

This.  For all religions.  Biggest waste of energy humans have. 

1 hour ago, Atx71 said:

Seems the backlash is due to Christian intolerance of those that don't believe just like they do

a leftist talking about someone else’s intolerance is the single funniest thing I’ve heard in a long time and shows a lack of self-awareness on par with an infant.  congratulations?

13 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

Good. Religion is a scourge that is holding humanity back. It needs to mocked. It’s the same as believing in psychics and superstitions. It’s 2019. It’s ok, we understand that shit happens and we don’t need a mystical explanation. 

Religion is in fact different. We are hardwired for spirituality and connectivity, and religion provides a framework in many cases for that spirituality to express. It also provides an overlay for community and common work (liturgy, if you will), in a world that is increasing segmented by socioeconomic and political divisors. Now of course, Christianity as a broad movement has plenty of faults and numerous bad actors, and frequently has taken on the mold of society rather than breaking it, and those are problems.  Like I said, a few lions would go a long way towards flushing out some weak hands. But to cast religion broadly and generally as a great scourge that is holding humanity back is just nonsense hyperbole. There are historical and modern religious bases for some of the best expressions of the human condition, and for some of the absolute worst.  What we need to do is a better job of amplifying the best expressions into the secular world.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Religion is in fact different. We are hardwired for spirituality and connectivity, and religion provides a framework in many cases for that spirituality to express. It also provides an overlay for community and common work (liturgy, if you will), in a world that is increasing segmented by socioeconomic and political divisors. Now of course, Christianity as a broad movement has plenty of faults and numerous bad actors, and frequently has taken on the mold of society rather than breaking it, and those are problems.  Like I said, a few lions would go a long way towards flushing out some weak hands. But to cast religion broadly and generally as a great scourge that is holding humanity back is just nonsense hyperbole. There are historical and modern religious bases for some of the best expressions of the human condition, and for some of the absolute worst.  What we need to do is a better job of amplifying the best expressions into the secular world.

Religion makes us feel good about our mortality. Assigning purpose to a life without real meaning other than what nature has intended. All the rest of the mythology is a way of governance during a time without borders and a way to govern ourselves. The only real reason religion has value nowadays is for guiding those who can't fathom a life without some divine purpose. 

Edited by SmokeyTheBear
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

No, it’s a scourge. Like Smokey said, we used it because we were afraid of death and other natural occurrences. Yes, cavemen didn’t understand what was happening during an eclipse and they needed a way to explain it. But now we know what is happening. We don’t need religion to help us understand the natural world. 

Time to move on from the silliness of religion. Believing in Zeus, I’m sure, allowed the ancients to perform great works, but we don’t go around praising Zeus anymore. Why? Because we know he isn’t real

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, tjhooker said:

Thats true. I don't deny that. That also is not very Christian.  Believe me I am not a fan of the Christian right.  They would not agree with me on many social issues.  I also think they turn off people.  That does not mean though this anti Christian bias should be tolerated in the media.  It bleeds through.  Whether it moves, TV or news reporting.  I think it comes from liberals blaming Christianity for all the sins of the past and the present for that matter so they feel the need for payback. 

There it is. Good job, you almost made it past the first page before you slipped back to your liberal bogeyman routine. Those damn liberals. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

spirituality

spirtuality, my ass.  it has always been about people not understanding things and attributing natural events to made-up reasons.  so-called modern religions are no more advanced than the primitives.  people were awed and wanted assurance, and other people saw it as an opportunity to milk the goobers.  still going on today.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, tjhooker said:

But if you leave who is going to like the rest of monsters posts in this troll thread? Onboard? Chrispy troll? 

Somewhat serious response.

The persecution complex of Christians and White males in US society is fascinating.  As a group, it highlights their complete lack of awareness and introspection. As the majority, these groups could act with such privilege that any information/movie/show/discussion that calls attention to this fact causes basically a brain hemorrhage. The result is these groups invent a vast conspiracy narrative instead of dealing with the internal dissonance in their collective consciousness. 

• Like 2

The primary group doing damage to Christianity and its perception is.....Christians.  Hypocrisy is a great storyline, always has been.  You can't blame people for noticing and plucking the low-hanging fruit.

If you look at the following sequence:

1 -- read the Gospels (you know, the things that make Christianity Christianity, and not judaism of the Old Testament) with fresh eyes (as in, for the first time), you walk away with some pretty clear messaging.  A first-time Gospel reader, if charged with writing an essay about the point of the Gospels, would write a lot about loving your neighbor, caring for the poor, etc.  

2 -- modern, visible Christians focus their effort/grant their support to causes and people that do the exact OPPOSITE of the Gospel message.  Shit on the other, fuck you I got mine, purposeful cruelty to the weak, to women, to anyone they disagree with, etc. etc. (we all know the drill).  Donald Trump is the unfettered id of modern American Christianity personified, for example.

3 -- modern, visible Christians actively OPPOSE people and groups who try to live the message of point 1.  Caring for your neighbor?  Loving and welcoming the stranger?  Those people are openly mocked and vilified by modern American Christians.

Yes, it goes even deeper, and has more dimensions than that, but the core is pretty simple.  Christianity is about the principles of the Gospels.  Modern American Christianity not only largely fails to follow those principles, it actively and cruelly opposes them, and celebrates doing so.  They think they are clever enough to fool people.  They aren't.  Anyone with a lick of sense sees right through them.  Modern American Christianity is repeatedly shooting itself in the dick because it's self-defined as selfish and fucking mean.  Bitching about Hollywood portrayals of you, when you are doing all you can to make yourself as grotesque as possible, is.....well.....perfect.  Because the other thing that modern American Christianity is great at is ducking all responsibility.

• Like 7

There are literally hundreds of thousands if not millions of tv shows and movies readily available for consumption. What percentage do you think involve an evil portrayal of a Christian? Of those, how many do you think are meant to deride the entire religion and not just a plot device concerning a single character who happens to be shown as Christian somewhere in the plot? Of the former, in how many do you think the writer started the process with "fuck Christianity" in mind? And finally, how many movies are out there with a Muslim terrorist for a villain? There are so many things to watch out there that likely don't include any reference to religion whatsoever or which portray good churchgoers as the protagonist. Sounds like a typical prosecution complex in todays cloak room world.

Edited by 'stache
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

yes-christianity-that-must-be-what-happe

You know what's REALLY fascinating?  The idea of buttfucking T-Rexes surely gets some segment of the population hot.  Thus, there is probably someone writing T-Rex buttfucking ferotica.  And the odds are very, very high that that person is....a current or future Republican Congressman....

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/elections/2018/11/07/election-results-2018-denver-riggleman-wins-bigfoot-erotica-virginia/1914117002/

• Like 1

Way I see it, when a religion is healthy, it's members not only take part in secular society but also contribute to its progress. When a religion heads towards cult/theocracy territory, however, its leaders manipulate the congregation into shutting themselves off from the secular world. Evangelical Christianity has been on clear a moral decline for the last few decades. I'm sure there are plenty of Methodists still participating in the grown up world, but the fundamentalists are basically getting ready to tell the Taliban to hold their beer at this point.

Holywood writers have been WARNING us about this because they've been seeing it real time. Many of them are the types of people that study history in great depth, and they see that what's happening to Christianity in the US has happened to many religions in many parts of the world.

Edited by ndawg
  • Like 2

I'm going to go against the grain and agree with @tjhooker that there is in the media a general attack on Christianity. I think it's a big reason on why DJT got elected in 2016. A sizable portion of Evangelical Christians in the 21st century are those that have been left behind in the technological age. Take a look at your local paper's obit page and see how many of them were members of a Baptist Church or Church of Christ compared to the younger generation. This change gives most of us that aren't the product of the Fourth Great Awakening an outlet to learn other opinions and grow different belief systems. The people who got lost in the latest technological revolution are still living very much in the time of the Fourth Great Awakening and resist these changes. Let's be honest most Christians that voted for Trump aren't going around debating the finer points of the Summa Theologiae and how that influenced John Wesley. They're watching Fox News and going to the Creationist Museum in Glen Rose while they plan for their big trip to the Ark Encounter in Kentucky next summer. Those of us that see all of this do look down on Christians and how they've responded to change. That's clearly evident in the media that we consume.

• Like 1

Let’s not lose sight of the fact that Jesus was at heart a Republican who would have supported tax cuts, immigrant detention centers and Wall. 

The liberal Hollywood elites hate all three of those things. Ergo they attack Christianity because they hate the things Jesus would have supported. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Let’s not lose sight of the fact that Supply Side Jesus was at heart a Republican who would have supported tax cuts, immigrant detention centers and Wall. 

The liberal Hollywood elites hate all three of those things. Ergo they attack Christianity because they hate the things Supply Side Jesus would have supported. 

Remember, there's 2 Jesuses -

Supply Side Jesus

Brown refugee Jesus

I agree it is there.  Some is they make for good tone setting like in the first season of True Detective or bizarre behavior like Chris Cooper in The Good Shepherd.  It's how you get a modern version of a Deliverance-like feel.  Just some modern archetype that Hollywood finds useful as a means of presenting something as weird, imo.  Side effect is there is some mockery in there.

52 minutes ago, ndawg said:

Religions all have a weak spot: they can pervert themselves into cults and theocracies.

When a religion is healthy, it's members not only take part in secular society but also contribute to its progress. When a religion heads towards cult/theocracy territory, its leaders manipulate the congregation into shutting themselves off from the secular world. And when the congregation separates itself from the secular world, it becomes really easy to brainwash the congregation into believing they're under attack. Evangelical Christianity has been nosediving down a steep moral decline for the last few decades, and today they're closer to the Taliban than legitimate denominations. While I'm sure there are plenty of, say, Methodists still participating in the grown up world, the fundamentalists are brainwashed extremists.

This.  It's not religion that's bad.  It's religious extremism---of any religion.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Monster said:

I assumed I'd have to  find a new message board when I created the thread.  :)

So far it looks like the most popular reaction to a coordinated campaign against a major religion in America is that 'Christians deserve ridicule".  

So what do you have to say about how you were completely wrong regarding the reaction? Do you think your incredible misread of a segment of society and being completely wrong about their intentions and beliefs might be relevant to your thread idea here?

Edited by Huckleberry

8 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

I agree it is there.  Some is they make for good tone setting like in the first season of True Detective or bizarre behavior like Chris Cooper in The Good Shepherd.  It's how you get a modern version of a Deliverance-like feel.  Just some modern archetype that Hollywood finds useful as a means of presenting something as weird, imo.  Side effect is there is some mockery in there.

IMDb tells me I'm actually thinking of Breach, not The Good Shepherd.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Monster said:

The Blacklist, season 6—Two white, Methodist pawnbrokers are out there doing bad things.  The fact they are Methodist doesn’t have anything to do with the plot, its just thrown in there as if its just one of their many terrible attributes.   

4PLMT0s.jpg?1

Here we see her crucifix conspicuously worn outside of her sweater--in case we forgot she was Christian…while she guns down this hapless young man. 

2jJmrTd.jpg?1

The crucifix remains in the frame for the rest of the scene.  These damned Christians pawnbrokers! 

So 6 seasons. Approximately 20 badguys per season. 1 supposedly anti-Christian episode. Among the other roughly 100 villians/cabals, there are countless deep state folks, countless anarchists, and a few fundamentalist Muslims.  How exactly does 1 episode accounting for less than 1 percent of the shows villains equal a vast Hollywood conspiracy against Christians?

As for Condor?  Who has even heard of that?  And 1 season of Punisher?  Okay, out of roughly 30 Netflx marvel seasons, there is maybe an anti-Christian one. Meanwhile, Daredevil fights all sorts of racist charicatures like Chinese triads, white greedy real estate men, and a white disgruntled soldier. 

There is far more anti-government and anti-Islam content coming out of Hollywood.  They are certainly running out of ideas, but the fact that you have to dig so deep to find evidence of anti-Christian bias should tell you something. If some dastardly Christians exist, and they do, you are going to get some shows villifying the dastardly ones. There are over 100 shows a year producing 10 to 25 episodes each. Of that, there are probably 50 police or spy procedurals in production. 

• Like 2