Media/Hollywood's anti-Christian campaign

Monster

51 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

The primary group doing damage to Christianity and its perception is.....Christians.  Hypocrisy is a great storyline, always has been.  You can't blame people for noticing and plucking the low-hanging fruit.

If you look at the following sequence:

1 -- read the Gospels (you know, the things that make Christianity Christianity, and not judaism of the Old Testament) with fresh eyes (as in, for the first time), you walk away with some pretty clear messaging.  A first-time Gospel reader, if charged with writing an essay about the point of the Gospels, would write a lot about loving your neighbor, caring for the poor, etc.  

2 -- modern, visible Christians focus their effort/grant their support to causes and people that do the exact OPPOSITE of the Gospel message.  Shit on the other, fuck you I got mine, purposeful cruelty to the weak, to women, to anyone they disagree with, etc. etc. (we all know the drill).  Donald Trump is the unfettered id of modern American Christianity personified, for example.

3 -- modern, visible Christians actively OPPOSE people and groups who try to live the message of point 1.  Caring for your neighbor?  Loving and welcoming the stranger?  Those people are openly mocked and vilified by modern American Christians.

Yes, it goes even deeper, and has more dimensions than that, but the core is pretty simple.  Christianity is about the principles of the Gospels.  Modern American Christianity not only largely fails to follow those principles, it actively and cruelly opposes them, and celebrates doing so.  They think they are clever enough to fool people.  They aren't.  Anyone with a lick of sense sees right through them.  Modern American Christianity is repeatedly shooting itself in the dick because it's self-defined as selfish and fucking mean.  Bitching about Hollywood portrayals of you, when you are doing all you can to make yourself as grotesque as possible, is.....well.....perfect.  Because the other thing that modern American Christianity is great at is ducking all responsibility.

As he often does, Brisket nails this.  The hypocrisy is the reason I started doubting Christianity in the first place....everything else just let me know I made the right choice by walking away from religion. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Monster said:

I used to laugh at my Christian friends when they talked about being ridiculed. 

I can't see myself ever not laughing at my fellow christians who talk about being ridiculed.  Mainly because it's grotesque, but also because once again it shows most Christians mistake the fundamental teaching of the new testament:

1 Peter 4:14, NIV: "If you are insulted because of the name of Christ, you are blessed, for the Spirit of glory and of God rests on you." 1 Peter 4:14, ESV: "If you are insulted for the name of Christ, you are blessed, because the Spirit of glory and of God rests upon you."

Edited by tantric superman
  • Like 1

The Catholic Church's missionary work can be best explained with their marketing materials, "Ever worry about little kids telling your Bishop about face-fucking?  Well come on down to a place where they couldn't possibly rat you out due to a language barrier!"  

to the OP---yeah every once in awhile somebody is gonna throw some dialogue into a script about the organized religion responsible for the most deaths in human history.  100 million deaths is gonna leave a bad taste in some people's mouths.  

3 minutes ago, Lobo said:

The Catholic Church's missionary work can be best explained with their marketing materials, "Ever worry about little kids telling your Bishop about face-fucking?  Well come on down to a place where they couldn't possibly rat you out due to a language barrier!"  

to the OP---yeah every once in awhile somebody is gonna throw some dialogue into a script about the organized religion responsible for the most deaths in human history.  100 million deaths is gonna leave a bad taste in some people's mouths.  

Almost as bad a taste as a Catholic Priest! 

If the OP has a problem with pretend people that don't actually exist being villified and portrayed unfairly...wait until he reads the works of Catholicism.  turns out some of those angels are just made up.  

18 minutes ago, Chrispy said:

Atheism is the counter culture’s religion, their fervor to proselytize is eerily similar to that of devout Christians. 

Meh....that or they knew better than to speak out before.

Ostracism, ass whippings, public shaming....all of that.

Otherwise, yeah. 

2 hours ago, Chrispy said:

C’mon Monster, the media treats all religions equally. Just look at all of the pictures depicting Muhammad. 

2 hours ago, tjhooker said:

How about just shoot down the middle? No bias at all.  Christianity nor any other religion are beyond being criticized.  But it is totally OK to be biased against Christianity in Hollywood and media.  It isn't frowned upon but say the same thing about Islam and watch out. 

in a thread of utter fucking stupidity, these two posts (predictably) take the cake.  if only there were any movies/shows with bad guys who were muslims...

MV5BMjIzMDcyMDcxOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMTg1

homeland.jpg'

v1.bTsxMTE3NjUyOTtqOzE4MDM5OzEyMDA7ODAwO

header.jpg?t=1504223148

countless other stuff like true lies, syriana, executive decision, the siege, 24, rules of engagement etc...

not to mention the historically-based movies - zero dark thirty, american sniper, 13 hours, patriots day, lone survivor, etc...

1 hour ago, ndawg said:

Evangelical Christianity has been on clear a moral decline for the last few decades.

As the book say, the scandal of the evangelical mind is that there isn’t very much of one. 

Not related to the above post, I grossly underestimated my prediction of how long it would take for those vastly ignorant of history and the church’s complex role in it to start spouting simplistic and plainly bigoted comments. I said five pages but we hit it by page two. There’s a difference between criticism, disagreement, and bigotry and the lines are very clear. Hypocrisy and bigotry is a truly unifying human trait.

In the interest of fairness, I listened to Peter Attia's the Drive podcast this weekend.  It was about Tom Catena, a Catholic missionary in the Sudan.  Holy shit.  If you are remotely interested, it is very interesting, and in the end, the kind of thing that makes you feel both worthless and just a tad hopeful.  This guy has no time for anything other than understanding what Jesus was about, and then acting exactly as Jesus would want him to.  If I could live one week like this guy, it would be week that would overshadow everything else I have done in my life.

https://peterattiamd.com/tomcatena/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Catena

(This guy is more a priest than any priest out there, and is a pretty powerful argument that priests should be allowed to marry.)

Hard to watch:

Edited by tantric superman
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

In a span of three years, the religious right has gone from "we could never support Donald Trump due to our religious beliefs" to "we will support Donald Trump in spite of our religious beliefs" to "we support Donald Trump BECAUSE of our religious beliefs."

You fuckers all deserve to be mocked.

1 minute ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Yeah that's it totally.....  Ahhhhhhhh Nazis.... they're eeeeeeeeverywhere.. well actually that's not true, it's Russians theeeeeey're every where... no wait, it's not Russians it's it's ....

.....its its....in the the mirror. Look!

I can't help but believe that "Christianity" has brought ridicule and derision on themselves. I am a Christian who went to a Christian university that was highly intolerant of any LGBTQ lifestyle. I am no supporter of what mainstream Christianity has become. It's the "fuck you pay me" of religions in this world right now. 

Jesus taught us to love one another despite our differences. Way, way, way too many Christians have demonized and treated those who do not believe as they do with no respect or any kind. People are less often showing the care and love that Jesus would've shown to everyone. Non-Christians see this and are more apt to have a negative opinion of Christians.

If you are a Christian and feel persecuted by the media in Hollywood or elsewhere stop and ask yourself what it is you are doing to contribute to the backlash against your faith. I have friends who are not Christians and they are honestly better human beings than 90 percent of the Christians I know amd associate with. 

got all the way up to my dissertation with Hauerwas and decided to go to law school instead. the right decision but i miss his brilliance.

i’ve met some extremely smart people through the years, but he’s without a doubt the one true genius i’ve met in life.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chrispy said:

Atheism is the counter culture’s religion, their fervor to proselytize is eerily similar to that of devout Christians. 

Since I am an atheist, can I get a tax exemption?  I need a tax break for my hobbies too.   

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Since I am an atheist, can I get a tax exemption?  I need a tax break for my hobbies too.   

American Atheists and the Freedom from Religion Foundation are tax-exempt 501c3's.  So the answer appears to be yes.  

Edited by Anastasis
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I'd say it's more the enemy of my enemy is my friend concept for many people. Lesser of two weevils kind of thing.

I wasn't aware that religion and religious behavior was so malleable. Let's consider the sevin deadly sins, which I assume have Christian origins:

Lust, gluttony, greed, sloth, wrath, envy, pride.

The current buffoon in office exemplifies all 7 of these sins. And yet the religious right is damn close to deifying the fat fuck. Everything that they claim they stand for is contradicted regularly by dotard, but no fucks given. As has already been stated multiple times in this thread, the mainstream religious right SHOULD be routinely mocked and denigrated for being the hypocritical shitbags that they are. 

Edited by Blotto
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

If your God allows His representatives on earth to systematically abuse thousands and thousands of children over the course of generations -- that we know of -- then your God probably sucks. Time to consider the possibility that He is a human invention, nothing more.

Actually, God said that it would be better for those people to have a millstone hung around their necks and be cast into the ocean than to have to deal with Him on judgment day.

All Nazis were German, right?  Are all Germans Nazis though?

6 hours ago, Monster said:

Condor, season 1—Story’s is about an evil Christian organization planning to release a deadly plague at Mecca.  This evil Christian cabal is led by a CIA  director-type (CIA is called ‘Christian In Action’ by the shows hero).  The arch villain is  always praying on camera…like in this image, at the side of his bed like a child.

fYdpspf.jpg?3

aAvlfpb.jpg?1

Christians In Action is a really old phrase for the CIA that has been used for decades. I remember first reading about the phrase in a book about Vietnam I read in the 80's.

The motivations behind the antagonist were partially due to his dispensationalist theology. It's not a far fetched idea considering some of the things that went down during the W administration.

6 hours ago, Monster said:

The Punisher, season 2 –premise.  Evil Christian-type villain does a bunch of evil shit I don’t know I got to the third episode and started losing interest and haven't gone back to it to finish.   I'm assuming the evil Christian kept quoting bible verses as he did despicable evil thing. 

eZ89cNE.jpg?1

Something's not quite right with this church...can't put my finger on it...

56z9QQs.jpg?1

Oh that's right...they're Nazis.   Here is our arch villain at home, showing off his Nazi tattoos with a crucifix on the wall in his bedroom. 

Pilgrim wasn't really a bad guy if you actually watched the show you would know that. His faith was sincere but it was used to manipulate him. Also, the tattoos were from his former life before he found religion.

Did you even watch this show?

1 hour ago, UpperWestside said:

Jesus taught us to love one another despite our differences. Way, way, way too many Christians have demonized and treated those who do not believe as they do with no respect or any kind. People are less often showing the care and love that Jesus would've shown to everyone. Non-Christians see this and are more apt to have a negative opinion of Christians.

sadly you don't have to leave this page to see self-professing Christians demonizing and treating other self-professing Christians with no respect or any kindness either. 

35 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Yeah just join an Atheist assembly (church) they are tax exempt or just form a club as a nonprofit. Did this for softball and got corporate donations to pay for shirts, equipment, tournaments, etc... Hell we had a season worth of Shiner donated for after practice and game drinking.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

sadly you don't have to leave this page to see self-professing Christians demonizing and treating other self-professing Christians with no respect or any kindness either. 

Oh, maybe my FAVORITE fundagelical play -- tolerance is only important to the extent that it can be used to attack those who criticize people for being cruelly intolerant.

"The Liberty University crowd not only tolerates the seven deadly sins in their false idols, they celebrate them if the idol can be sufficiently cold and cruel to brown people -- but the REAL issue here is how y'all are not treating the Liberty University crowd with respect and kindness!"

Waving around "tolerance!" and "respect and kindness!" as a shield against criticism of their own acts of cruelty and intolerance.....well, that may be PEAK modern American Christianity.  It's one of my favorite things to watch.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Oh, maybe my FAVORITE fundagelical play -- tolerance is only important to the extent that it can be used to attack those who criticize people for being cruelly intolerant.

"The Liberty University crowd not only tolerates the seven deadly sins in their false idols, they celebrate them if the idol can be sufficiently cold and cruel to brown people -- but the REAL issue here is how y'all are not treating the Liberty University crowd with respect and kindness!"

Waving around "tolerance!" and "respect and kindness!" as a shield against criticism of their own acts of cruelty and intolerance.....well, that may be PEAK modern American Christianity.  It's one of my favorite things to watch.

Anyone who would argue "if you truly believe in tolerance you must be tolerant of intolerance" should be punched in the face, repeatedly.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

I'm curious what you are referring to. Only one Christian church ever sent people to my front porch to tell my parents I was going to hell if they didn't change my name, and it wasn't the Methodists. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

5 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

tell my parents I was going to hell if they didn't change my name, and it wasn't the Methodists. 

I'm a Methodist so I know we don't require name changes but I am not aware of anyone else who does.

What is the story here?

1 hour ago, Fondren & Main said:

Actually, God said that it would be better for those people to have a millstone hung around their necks and be cast into the ocean than to have to deal with Him on judgment day.

All Nazis were German, right?  Are all Germans Nazis though?

Actually, God didn't say any of that.

Some of my favorite lyrics.

Well, I hit him hard right between the eyes
And he went down, but to my surprise
He come up with a knife and cut off a piece of my ear
But I busted a chair right across his teeth
And we crashed through the wall and into the street
Kicking and a' gouging in the mud and the blood and the beer