5-peat ? 2019 men's swimming

Nolacycling

Big 12 swim champs begin tomorrow in Austin. Texas will win as there are only three teams in the conference.

Texas is ranked 2nd nationally headed towards the NCAA Championships to be held in Austin March 27-30. They have won the last 4 in a row and hold the record for most NCAA Swimming and Diving Championships. 

Steve Patterson did not hire Eddie Reese.

Still early, but people should realize he is the greatest coach in the history of UT.  And that's saying something.  Winning 5 straight in this era is like the USC run in baseball, UCLA in basketball, or that other school in that other sport.  

Parity in scholarships may have scared Mack to death.  But Eddie swallowed it, along with 4 gallons of piss-laden pool water, and then dominated the national landscape.  

Hook 'Em, Eddie! 

• 3 weeks later...

Townley Haas is up for 2019 Sullivan Award as a semifinalist.   Voting by fans at AAU.com I think. He is already a Longhorn swimming legend. He still has his final NCAA  championships yet to go . Vote early and often.  Voting closes 3/15.

Edited by El Squared

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Tailgate said:

Definition of elite coaching right there.

Its beyond elite.  Eddie is the best coach to ever wear burnt orange and its not even close..He is easily in the top 10 of all NCAA coaches and most likely in the top 5.   I dont even know the stats but he's probably coach as many Olympic athletes as anyone.   If they win 5..wow

On 3/22/2019 at 9:45 PM, Tailgate said:

I had to look up the 40 consecutive conference championships.

Last four national titles in a row.

Statue time.

Definition of elite coaching right there.

Truly unreal.

Conference championships[edit]

Southwest Conference[edit]

1932, 1933, 1934, 1935, 1936, 1937, 1938, 1939, 1940, 1941, 1942, 1943, 1944, 1946, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1955, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996

Big 12 Conference[edit]

1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019

Had to look it up myself.  Damn.

21 hours ago, Nolacycling said:

We're winning. One event Wed. and it was a relay, so why not set an NCAA, US Open and American record in the event? Great start Horns!

Harvard swimmer leads off  their relay and destroys American record in 200 freestyle.

• Like 1

Well what the fuck happened between '55 and '80?

Frank Erwin asked Pat Patterson, a letterman to resign, so that he could hire Reese to beat SMU and build a state of the art (for 1970’s) facility. He did. Pat is a legend in his own right in Houston and SpringBranch.

Hank Chapman 50s to 70s was a letterman, but a diver. Just could never get over the SMU hump has the sport evolved same as Patterson.

As much as I love the legacy of UT Baseball, swimming and diving gets passed over WAYYY too much. Tex Robertson to Reese we have a proud heritage; Olympians and Olympic coaches now and back then. Whoever steps in when Reese hangs it up better be ready to be a legend.

• Like 3

After day 2 Texas down 24 points to Cal. Cal is swimming really well and won a number of events as well as winning a couple consolation heats. UT's Townley Haas won the 500 free and Texas placed two divers in the top 8.

On a side note, I dominated my middle school swimmers in a 25 free. Dominated.

No. I just looked at preliminary results from this am and we have no points forthcoming in the first two events and Cal has 6 qualified. Our two finalists in diving will not be enough. We qualified a in bunch in 200 free but that will just be an offset. Final relays will be within it's of each other. 

Edited by Nolacycling

11 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Anybody know how many Top 5 finishes this still makes for the program? 

Just off the top of my head I'd estimate we have 6-7 2nd place finishes, a few thirds.   I dont think we've finished worse than 5th ever.

10 hours ago, midtown said:

John Bianco Retweeted Texas Men's Swimming & Diving

👇🏻Let that sink in, Eddie Reese has been coaching @TexasMSD for 41 years and the Longhorns have finished in the Top 2️⃣ at the NCAA Championship 2️⃣6️⃣ times and among the Top 3️⃣ on 3️⃣3️⃣ occasions😱➡️4️⃣0️⃣straight Top 1️⃣0️⃣ finishes!

There's just something in the water that makes Texas better than everyone else.

25 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

There's just something in the water that makes Texas better than everyone else.

It's a few things IMO.. One is the facility.  The swim center is 40 years old now and is still one of the finest in the world.   More importantly Reese is just a phenomenal coach and person.  He was coaching quality over quantity before anyone.   He understood rest and athletes so early.   And he has fun with his team.   I walked on at UT and swam for only 2 months but I promise you Eddie would still know my name and what I swam if I saw him today that level of detail is amazing. 

• Like 3