Texas teacher pay raise.

Nolacycling

12 minutes ago, Nolacycling said:

I won't pretend to speak for all teachers, but let's say you sell apples and are dependent on having your apples pass the chef's standards. But some of your apples are rotten(dyswidt) and no matter what you do won't improve. It's on you. What are you supposed to do give all your time towards the bad apple trees, while the rest suffer?

I am not a teacher nor have I ever wanted to be one. I do understand this conundrum though, having coached youth sports for many years I am familiar with the problem. Usually you end up with a couple of really talented kids, a bunch of decent kids and several not so talented kids with one that resents being in the sport. It's rough trying to drag that one unwilling kid through the season. I can't imagine having to pull a number of unwilling kids through an entire school year.

Another thing that ties into the topic was parental participation. Even if a kid lacked a good skill set in baseball and his parents had no idea how to play the sport the kid would develop if his parents were willing to work with the kid outside of practice. I saw this many times where I ended up teaching dad how to train the kid and the kid eventually showed a lot of improvement. Now those kids who were dropped off for practice like I was a babysitter never improved. Parental involvement makes a huge difference.

I can't imagine making a living where I am judged by the effort a kid puts in and that is also dependent on the parent putting their work in too. Way too many variables that can't be controlled. I feel for you.

I retired from teaching and believe I made sufficient money for my efforts. But across the profession, there is not enough compensation to attract a highly-qualified educator for every classroom - if that is a goal, teachers need to be paid more.

2 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Oh, okay I'm a monster for saying Pay the women their money when talking about elementary teachers. Name one male elementary teacher who teaches K-3rd. It just doesn't happen unless you live in a weirdo district. Poll yourselves, you freaks.

Regardless, my opinion is that Teaching and teachers pay should go the same way as value based healthcare. Pay on performance and on care given and good surveys/feedback from parents and community or peers or something, in a stair-stepped way. It would be a good incentive for the good teachers and it would allow the mediocre ones just to be mediocre and self-select into a different career or adjust their lifestyles to a 1bdrm efficiency with their cat and pent-up resentments.

What’s a “weirdo district”?

44 minutes ago, Coors yellow belly said:

Yes it does. 

10 years supervising 5 year olds, 6 year olds and 8 year olds. Glorified nanny, but she probably deserves it.

ignorance. 1st and 3rd grade are building blocks. these are extremely important stepping stones and skills building for later grades. if students get left behind in 3rd grade, it's possible they end up failing 6th grade, because as a parent and full disclosure, husband of a 2nd grade teacher, if these kids get to 4th or 5th grade without the skills taught at previous grades, they will fail the staar.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

ignorance. 1st and 3rd grade are building blocks. these are extremely important stepping stones and skills building for later grades. if students get left behind in 3rd grade, it's possible they end up failing 6th grade, because as a parent and full disclosure, husband of a 2nd grade teacher, if these kids get to 4th or 5th grade without the skills taught at previous grades, they will fail the staar.

You could’ve just said “I disagree cause my wife is a 2nd grade teacher”

• Fuck You 4

1 minute ago, Coors yellow belly said:

Was I making an argument based on district scales or official bullshit? No, I clearly called teachers who supervise young children easily replaceable and not worth 55k.

I have no idea what argument you’re making. You pulled a number out of thin air, were asked how long you think it takes to make that, and made an unresponsive reply about the age level of students.

You’re all over the place and have yet to make a coherent point. Better elementary school teachers might have helped.

• Haha 1

Was I making an argument based on district scales or official bullshit? No, I clearly called teachers who supervise young children easily replaceable and not worth 55k.

So she only supervises young children?  I guess a magical elf teaches them to read when they sleep.

3 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

I have no idea what argument you’re making. You pulled a number out of thin air, were asked how long you think it takes to make that, and made an unresponsive reply about the age level of students.

You’re all over the place and have yet to make a coherent point. Better elementary school teachers might have helped.

50k was not a number pulled out of thin air, that was the avg teacher pay. 5k raises have been proposed to them. 55k to supervise children under 10 is a great gig. There are plenty of individuals with real degrees and value in the community who get paid less and work more, but they don’t get near as pissy as the mid30s teacher who is in a rush to get to happy hour.

• Fuck You 13

1 minute ago, Coors yellow belly said:

50k was not a number pulled out of thin air, that was the avg teacher pay. 5k raises have been proposed to them. 55k to supervise children under 10 is a great gig. There are plenty of individuals with real degrees and value in the community who get paid less and work more, but they don’t get near as pissy as the mid30s teacher who is in a rush to get to happy hour.

Ah now I get it. You’re trolling. Carry on.

Just now, formermav43 said:

Ah now I get it. You’re trolling. Carry on.

No, not being satisfied with 55k to watch children 8 months out of the year is trolling. 

“It’s so hard! I have to grade spelling tests and 20 question multiple choice tests! Give me more money, I had to spend 20 dollars on crayons cause their parents are poor”

• Fuck You 9

2 minutes ago, Coors yellow belly said:

No, not being satisfied with 55k to watch children 8 months out of the year is trolling. 

“It’s so hard! I have to grade spelling tests and 20 question multiple choice tests! Give me more money, I had to spend 20 dollars on crayons cause their parents are poor”

Either a troll or dumb fuck not sure which.

1 hour ago, Coors yellow belly said:

Yes it does. 

10 years supervising 5 year olds, 6 year olds and 8 year olds. Glorified nanny, but she probably deserves it.

Fuck off with this. You have no idea what you are talking about.

My kindergarten teacher was the person who helped me learn how to read. Early education is extremely important.

2 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

Fuck off with this. You have no idea what you are talking about.

My kindergarten teacher was the person who helped me learn how to read. Early education is extremely important.

It appears education at any age generally escaped him so don’t be too surprised.

10 minutes ago, Coors yellow belly said:

Don't take this the wrong way, but you're an idiot.  

2 hours ago, Nolacycling said:

In reality, I don't mind being rated on student improvement, but can you imagine coming up up with a system that rates the physics 2 teacher at Southlake Carroll and the physics teacher at Brownsville Hanna? 

Okay, let's agree that its unfair to base it on student improvement.

Great.  So let's give ALL the power to the principal to base any at risk pay above the bare minimum complete discretion to give bonuses as he sees fit. 

How would you feel about that?  More importantly, how would most teachers feel about that.

What is sounded like to me when all the teachers were grousing about stuff was that they really didn't trust anyone to have the power to decide on their raises or bonuses or be whether they would be fired.

The issue is that if you want to reward excellence, you are going to have to break from the idea that people should get raises "union style" - they get specific raises just for tenure or because they have a masters degree. 

If you inspire my kid, and you have a bachelors degree, and your four years out of college, I want you to make more money than a 20 year teacher with a masters who mails it in.

If the average teacher pay right now is 49K (first hit I got on google), then make sure everyone gets 5,000 more than the mean and make the rest either at risk or based on commitment (extra classes/open office hours) or performance as measured by the principal.  And the only way that getting rid of dead weight will work is if you make the salary high enough to attract better people. 

Leon Hale (rip) was a columnist for the Chronicle and said "teaching was the hardest job I ever had when I worked at it and the easiest when I didn't ".

To be honest honest, if Leon Hale had been a trauma nurse, or a cop, or an insurance or car salesman, rather than a "columnist for the Chronicle" I'd trust his comparison on "hardest jobs" more...

1 hour ago, formermav43 said:

If they’re teachers, which pretty much everyone but the HC is.

But they are not "full time" teachers and part of their time belongs to the Athletic department. I heard this would apply to Full Time teachers.

Am just curious, that's all. 

Edited by InkaUtexas

I work for my company, not contracted. By the hour fairly, overtime daily. Insurance is debatable, but if not pay me more. Pension, else dependent at old age. Air conditioning, nah, just pay me. Stand up for your fucking selves.

Edited by JohnnyRage

6 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

But they are not "full time" teachers and part of their time belongs to the Athletic department. I heard this would apply to Full Time teachers.

Am just curious, that's all. 

They are full-time teachers. Coaching is an addition to their full-time teaching responsibilities.

• Like 1