2019 Chicago Cubs Thread

shnsajax

Its time to get this started. I've still got this team winning the division this year as we will have a healthy team for the first time in a while and Darvish and Bryant have monster bounce back years. I am going to say the post a 94-68 record and win the division by 5 games.

• 1 month later...

I feel like anything I say right now would be an overreaction, we're just 3 games in... what the fuck?!?!

Do they think Darvish is the only person on the planet getting younger and he's going to somehow improve from that mysterious injury that all but zapped his command? Zero was done in the bullpen, they threw some hope at it, I suppose. Feels like last season, Joe's pretty much of the fuck it frame of mind with his bullpen.

Somehow we're strapped for cash and our farm system is dog shit.

There was a lot of shitty calls, but still got to get outs against a bad team. The Morrow signing has bitten them in the ass the last 12 months. If he comes back healthy then all will be ok in the pen. Also about ready to give Dillon Maples a shot  

48 minutes ago, Dewey said:

Pretty much, maybe this first half will look like last seasons second half, and this seasons second half will look like last seasons first half?

Hopefully, they better be careful because if they keep fucking around Joe is going to be out of a job soon. 

Disappointed in Theo and Jed more than I am in Joe. Theo saying the bullpen has been good the last 4 seasons, not early this season. 3 blown games and we're 1-4. Joe is handcuffed by this shitty bullpen, then you get Darvish on a start, might as well stay at the hotel that day, cool out by the pool.

Damn, that $2500 will take a load off some. 

The most popular players in All-Star voting will be in the money -- at least enough to cover part of the season's clubhouse tips.

The highest vote-getter in both leagues in the first round of the new fan voting system will receive a $15,000 bonus, according to details obtained by The Associated Press. That payment will go to the leading vote-getter at catcher and each infield position plus the top three among outfielders.

For all positions other than the outfield, the second-place finishers will receive $5,000 apiece and the third-place finishers $2,500 each.

What was Theo thinking he was getting from Darvish, Morrow or Chatwood this season? Holy shit dude. Morrow ain't even back yet

I would be fine with keeping all 3 of those if we could redo the Quintana deal. In fairness Morrow was great when healthy, but that’s been the story of his career.

Thoughts on the season so far:

We started out rough but winning 5 in a row, including one over the Dodgers and two over the D Backs has me in a better mood.
Morrow being out past May sucks. Carl's Jr or Montgomery need to come back in good form. We'll need them.
None of our SPs are going to be challenging for any awards this year, but you would think it's gotta be one of the most solid 1-5 rotations out there. It doesn't show.
Rizzo. Where's the bat.
Baez is still the most exciting player in baseball. I love everything about his game. Just watching him is worth the price of admission. 

30 games in and we've already experienced the very low and now a higher high. Fucking Cubs, see what's next...

Really surprised by the pitching, everything else clicking makes better sense. Q is rolling, Hendricks with a ridiculous complete game, Darvish being not bad... surprising.

5 hours ago, Dewey said:

30 games in and we've already experienced the very low and now a higher high. Fucking Cubs, see what's next...

Really surprised by the pitching, everything else clicking makes better sense. Q is rolling, Hendricks with a ridiculous complete game, Darvish being not bad... surprising.

Definitely been "Jekyll and Hyde" the first 30 games.  

Darvish really hasn't been much good yet.  He's shown flashes.  But given that his ERA is in the high fives, his WHIP is over 1.7, he's got a negative WAR, etc., he's been part of the problem for the most part.

12 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

We got the bad Strop tonight.

And Kyle Ryan with one of the largest brain farts in recent memory. Had the runner dead to rights and let's him score. Made worse by KB's homer in the 9th that would have actually tied the game. 

4 minutes ago, JimmyHoffa said:

And Kyle Ryan with one of the largest brain farts in recent memory. Had the runner dead to rights and let's him score. Made worse by KB's homer in the 9th that would have actually tied the game. 

Yup yup.  Was yelling at the TV screen when he did that.  At least they managed to get two outs on the play due to Rizzo being alert and nailing the runner at 3rd -- it would have been really bad if they'd only gotten the hitter at 1st while giving up a run that could have easily been thrown out.

It also didn't help that Chicago only managed one run after having the bases juiced with no outs in the 6th.

Just now, Carl Spackler said:

Yup yup.  Was yelling at the TV screen when he did that.  At least they managed to get two outs on the play due to Rizzo being alert and nailing the runner at 3rd -- it would have been really bad if they'd only gotten the hitter at 1st while giving up a run that could have easily been thrown out.

It also didn't help that Chicago only managed one run after having the bases juiced with no outs in the 6th.

Agreed. The best part of Ryan's fuck up is even my wife said "what is he thinking?" Proud husband moment there! 

• Like 1

Another goddam bullpen gack job wastes another stellar performance by Hendricks.  Hope we can pull it out in extras.

If only there was a free agent closer arm available for probably a short term deal now that it is May.