2019 Chicago Cubs Thread

shnsajax

If only there was a free agent closer arm available for probably a short term deal now that it is May.
You know all teams are waiting until after the draft, as for the money, who knows if the Cubs will spend.

Back to back walk offs, take it.

On 5/9/2019 at 9:48 AM, Alvin89 said:

Cubs ban a fan for playing the circle game, because now it's a "white power" gesture but Addison Russell is still on the team. Wow

Yeah, it wasn't handled very well and they let the public reaction make the decision for them without ever investigating. The Addison Russell thing I have come around on a little. 

They are taking a much different approach then in the past and are saying and from what I have seen doing the right thing. Even his ex said in Instagram she has no problem with him getting a second chance and hopefully some good can come out of it. 

Epstein still talks with his ex, spoke to domestic violence experts and has put into place a ton of training and systems to help. Again I am not saying I 100% agree with what they are doing or how they have handled it but they are at least doing more than sweeping it under the rug and acting like it never happened. 

fucking awesome vibe tonight. teamjust keeps fighting and fighting all game long. Schwarber just dropped a huge two run bomb on a 3-2 pitch to finish off a 13 pitch at-bat. fantastic AB.

annnnd as I type this KB goes yard for the second time tonight. awesome. 

16 hours ago, JimmyHoffa said:

While I agree it could be better the game was fucking over. 

And that bloop hit over Rizzo's head was a fluke. 

Made today's win pretty sweet.  Also glad I'm off to vegas Friday.  Still fucking 40's for baseball games...but this one was worth braving some cold weather. 

8 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Made today's win pretty sweet.  Also glad I'm off to vegas Friday.  Still fucking 40's for baseball games...but this one was worth braving some cold weather. 

Yeah this weather is beyond bullshit at this point. 

This goddam fucking POS bullpen . . .

Pretty much this is what’s keeping this team from having the best record in baseball. I still think they will end up being very very good once they have some depth. But the question is when.

18 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

This team is starting to try my patience.  Like a damn yo-yo this season.  

Thought the team booing KB was hilarious, though.  That type of stuff will hopefully keep everyone loose despite the recent losing.

Considering this team leads MLB in blown saves, I think at 9 currently its frustrating. With our top two guys being out its not a real surprise. Sounds like Kimbrel has a real shot of happening, though he won't be ready till some time in July. and if you add Strop and hopefully Morrow this team could be set up for a real run in the second half. I still think they win the division, but they will be a real threat with those guys in the pen. 

Either way, thank god this team will have some money to spend next season. At least more than last year. 

Edited by shnsajax

Thank God for Rizzo.  It was looking like a 3-0 start to the series with a serious chance for a sweep until he came through.  Kudos to Darvish.  Pitched much better than I anticipated.

Darvish has been showing some signs of turning it around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19 hours ago, Dewey said:

Indeed, and we need that desperately with Hendricks going down. Interested to see this guy they might bring in, Alzolay.

Shitty road trip but even losing a series 3-1 to the Dodgers it was a well played 4 games (outside of giving up the lead in all 3 losses) and I have no doubt if things play out like they should we will see them again in the playoffs. (I just hope it's a 7 game series and not 5) 

Baez came close to turning two of the three losses around.  Hit one to the warning track with a man on in the second game, which would have tied it up.  And his liner in the 9th in game #4 would have given the Cubs the lead but for a nice catch by Verdugo.  Just a little bit off both times.    

I attended games 2 and 3.  Dodgers fans make me laugh when they claim to be such terrific fans.  The stadium was about a quarter empty for the second game, even though it was a Friday night, the Dodgers are in first place, and a lot of Cubs fans came out (as always).  I don't think you'd see that at Wrigley, Fenway, Busch, etc.  

On 6/29/2019 at 11:45 AM, spystud13 said:

Hamels to IL, CarGo DFA’d, couple of pen arms coming up. 

They have been playing under .500 ball over the last month. Hopefully this is the reverse of last year and they hit their stride after the break. KB has had the most invisible All Star first half I think I have ever seen. Lineup needs some depth. Will be interesting to see what moves (if any) are made before the deadline. 

3 minutes ago, JimmyHoffa said:

They have been playing under .500 ball over the last month. Hopefully this is the reverse of last year and they hit their stride after the break. KB has had the most invisible All Star first half I think I have ever seen. Lineup needs some depth. Will be interesting to see what moves (if any) are made before the deadline. 

I think they are close to clicking, but its been annoying as of late. Will be nice to have Hamels back now that Hendricks has been activated as well. Decalso has been absolute garbage, and Maddon's comments on 3am yesterday pissed me off to the point to where I am getting more inclined with him leaving at the end of the year. 

Bryant has the most unusual splits I have seen in some time.

Runner on 1st - .406.465.8131.277

Runner on 2nd - .063.286.250.536

Runner on 3rd - .500.571.7501.321

Runners on 1st & 2nd - .071.188.071.259

Runners on 1st & 3rd - .429.500.8571.357

Runners on 2nd & 3rd - .200.200.200.400

Bases Loaded - .400.5001.2001.700

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, shnsajax said:

I think they are close to clicking, but its been annoying as of late. Will be nice to have Hamels back now that Hendricks has been activated as well. Decalso has been absolute garbage, and Maddon's comments on 3am yesterday pissed me off to the point to where I am getting more inclined with him leaving at the end of the year. 

Bryant has the most unusual splits I have seen in some time.

Runner on 1st - .406.465.8131.277

Runner on 2nd - .063.286.250.536

Runner on 3rd - .500.571.7501.321

Runners on 1st & 2nd - .071.188.071.259

Runners on 1st & 3rd - .429.500.8571.357

Runners on 2nd & 3rd - .200.200.200.400

Bases Loaded - .400.5001.2001.700

Holy shit that is crazy. 

Are other top teams this bad on the road? Last second half and this first half, same same and itll be the same outcome. Feels like Joe has used "we think they might have been stealing signs" too often. Figure it out.

13 minutes ago, Dewey said:

Are other top teams this bad on the road? Last second half and this first half, same same and itll be the same outcome. Feels like Joe has used "we think they might have been stealing signs" too often. Figure it out.

over under .500 (NL only top 2 teams in each division)

Braves- 8 OVER

Dodgers- 3 OVER

Brewers- 2 under

Rockies- 3 under

Phillies- 6 under

Cubs- 8 under

On the flip side the Cubs have the 2nd best record at home at 13 over (trailing only the Dodgers insane 25 games over)

The season is long, as I said before last nights ass kicking they need to figure some shit out and still do. The only saving graze is they are only 1 game out and not 10. Not to mention if the season ended today that would have the top wild card spot. 

Edited by JimmyHoffa

Cool story. 

The Cubs selected the contract of hot-hitting Minor Leaguer Robel Garcia on Wednesday, looking for an offensive spark after some recent struggles at the plate. But they’ve made it clear that he’s not expected to do it alone, and he may not be the only move if the Cubs continue to struggle.

Garcia has quickly become in Chicago what one may describe as a “cult prospect hero.” The trilingual infielder signed with the Indians in 2010 out of the Dominican Republic and spent the next four seasons without rising above Class A ball. After being released before the start of the 2014 season, he moved to Italy and played for UnipolSai Bologna of the Italian Baseball League for five seasons.

Based on what a Cubs scout saw in a 2009 game in Arizona, between the Reds’ instructional league team and Team Italy, Garcia had clearly improved his game while abroad. After the Cubs signed him in October 2018, they didn’t even bother to send him back to Class A. He raked at Double-A Tennessee, then raked some more at Triple-A Iowa, posting a combined line of .285/.364/.594 with 21 homers in 72 games.

“It’s a great story, and I’m eager to find out more about him, but I’ve heard he’s a wonderful young man,” Cubs manager Joe Maddon said. “… And now, all of a sudden, he’s turned into this really good hitter from both sides of the plate.”

But the exciting announcement for many Cubs fans, which came from Cubs president of baseball operations Theo Epstein in a conversation on WSCR-AM 670, was also surrounded by talk of potential shakeups to the big league roster. Epstein called the recent stretch “unacceptable,” and it appears as if Garcia’s callup could be a chance as well as a warning.

“If this stretch of play continues,” Epstein said, “there certainly will be a ton of changes in order.”

Over the past 30 games, the Cubs have posted a .317 Weighted On-Base Average, the lowest mark of any team in a playoff position entering Wednesday's action outside of the Rays (.302). They’ve especially had trouble knocking in runners in scoring position, hitting .250 in those situations since the beginning of June (22nd in MLB).

Those issues, along with baserunning and starting pitching depth concerns, have hurt the Cubs as they’ve failed to win their past seven series, including their four-game set with the Pirates this week.

“It obviously can’t continue, “ Epstein said. “It’s unacceptable."

And Maddon thinks the bulk of that improvement has to come from the everyday guys, not from any callup in particular.

“The blood of the work has got to come from the group that’s already here and that’s here for a reason, that have great backs of baseball cards,” Maddon said. “These are the guys that we’ve got to get them playing to their capabilities.”

Perfect start to the 2nd half-

Sweep the Bucs and the Brewers lose 2 of 3 (should have been swept) to the last place Giants at home. 

2.5 game lead over the Brewers and a 3 game lead over the Cards. 

But the best news is Yu thew a hell of a game, hopefully he has found his control for good.