2019 Chicago Cubs Thread

shnsajax

I am guessing that Maddon is managing the Padres next year. Curious as to how deep the FO will search for a new manager, or will they just interview Girardi and offer him the job. Not sure who all else will be gone, but Russell, Almora, Jr, and Schwarber wouldn't be a surprise. I don't know if Nico can be or expected to become a leadoff hitter, but that has to be figured out this off season. 

• 2 months later...

I really don't know what to think anymore. First I know the KB stories are just that "stories" they aren't trading him without getting a shit ton in return and that includes MLB ready and proven player(s) AND prospects. 

Anything less than that and they are fucking morons. 

Aside from signing Javy and probably Rizzo because of the hometown discount I think he is willing to, they HAVE to move guys in the next couple of years. It will just really be interesting to see how it all plays out. I might be crazy but I don't see there is anyway they get rid of KB this year unless they get a huge offer but the current rumors that are out there? Not a chance in hell. 

Oh and Fuck Boras. 

• Like 1

I think he'll be dealt, to who I have no clue, but KB is the biggest and only card the Cubs can play in order to turn things around. I dont even care about getting a Mlb player, just flood our system with top prospects and tell Theo and Jed not to fuck it up again. The last couple seasons when we needed help, we had nothing to deal. Let's keep what's left of a young core and build quickly again. 

• 1 year later...

Guess there wasn’t a ‘20 thread, but they hired Derk’s favorite announcer. 

When Len Kasper made the surprising decision to leave the Cubs' television booth last month, the team pledged to bring in a play-by-play voice worthy of its fans' high expectations.

The Cubs found their man in ESPN broadcaster Jon "Boog" Sciambi, who will join analyst Jim Deshaies to form Chicago's new broadcast team for Marquee Sports Network. Sciambi comes to the North Siders via ESPN, where he has continued to cement his place as one of the more popular voices in baseball.

"I want to be where baseball matters," Sciambi said on a Zoom call Monday afternoon. "And baseball matters on the North Side of Chicago. Look, this job's special. That's really what it comes down to."

Following 16 seasons as part of the Cubs' TV team, Kasper left for the South Side in early December to become the new radio voice of the White Sox for ESPN 1000. That news came as a collective shock for the Cubs' fanbase, and the leadership at Marquee promised to take its time in finding a replacement for one of the "real pearl positions" in broadcasting.

Sciambi -- a friend of Kasper's going on two decades -- knew the former Cubs TV voice always wanted to move into a radio booth, and said Kasper made a "pure" decision. Even with that understanding of Kasper's career aspirations, and the conversations they'd shared over the years, Sciambi was still a bit stunned when Kasper officially switched roles in December.

"It's always been Len's job," Sciambi said. "I've always just thought of it as Len's job. And then it wasn't, and I don't think that I immediately processed that it could be my job."

Marquee Sports Network general manager Mike McCarthy said Sciambi was the top target once the TV booth had a vacancy.

"After Len's departure became known, we had quite a bit of interest in this position from all points," McCarthy said. "To be perfectly blunt and honest, we had one guy really in mind that we were hopeful of, and this is the guy that we now have the proud opportunity to announce as our new play-by-play man. We had no doubts about him."

• 2 weeks later...

Cubs avoid arbitration and re-sign Bryant, Baez, and Contreras.  Bryant is vastly overpaid based on his production the past couple of seasons.  Maybe Rossy can light a fire under him.  I expect Baez to bounce back.  Hopefully he now understands that he's got to put the work in during the offseason.  Glad to see Contreras coming back, esp. with Caratini going to SD.  So . . . not a total rebuild . . . at least not this season (these are 1-year contracts).

Also, Lester and Schwarbs both signed with the Nationals.  Nats have themselves a pretty fair rotation on paper -- Scherzer, Strasburg, Corbin, Lester, and ?.

On 1/22/2021 at 8:46 AM, shnsajax said:

Uhh, from Caratini to this. Feels like a 2013 signing. 

What would be worse is if Romine ends up being Contreras' replacement.  There are rumors that the Cubs are shopping Willson.  Austin Romine as an everyday C?  Yecccccchhhh.  

A Romine-for-Caratini swap wouldn't bother me too much given that Romine's on a 1-year deal, esp. if he can get back to his 2019 form.  The Cubs are just killing time until they see whether Amaya can get to the bigs anyway, IMO.

Switching gears, I see they signed Joc Pederson and there's talk that they see him as an everyday player.  Wrigley might be good for him.

The most worrisome problem this offseason is the fact that they haven't done jack to fix that wretched bullpen.

They can say whatever they want but when they dumped Yu Darvish for prospects instead of waiting until the trade deadline you know its a rebuild.

Everyone from the 2016 will be outta here save one or two guys. This team will be lucky to get to 75 wins. 

Bryant has never recovered from that shoulder injury. No power and no durability. Too bad he was a star.  Wont ever play more than 130 games a year.

Contreras looks like a roid guy to me so I sell high on him. Baez inconsistent but probably stays. Would only sign Rizzo to team friendly deal which he probably shouldn't do. 

Cubs had a helluva run but its over now. They are going to tear it all down as they should. 

The whole Wrigley project was badass until I realized that meant they wouldnt spend on players. Theo didn't walk away because he wanted a new challenge, he walked because that was it, he couldn't do anymore with what ownership was allowing/ not allowing.  If anything,  if this is the way its going to be, then stock the farm and we'll model Tampa... I mean Tampa does what it does because they don't have the bankroll, we do what we do because our ownership doesn't believe in paying players. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...