MLS 2019 Thread

alincoln

The season starts on Saturday with the key developments being the addition of FC Cincinnati, the retention of Columbus and the new stadium in Minnesota.

The Eastern and Western Conferences will be balanced again with 12 teams each with NYRB and Atlanta the favorites in the East and KC and Seattle the favorites in the West.

The opening weekend includes some strong matches including NYRB @ Columbus, Atlanta @ DC and KC @ LAFC.  FC Cincy gets no favors from the league with its debut game @ Seattle.  

• Like 1

I'm not sure how Herediano compares to other MLS teams, but man Pity Martinez looks good. He may be more skilled than Almiron with the ball at his feet, but he's not as fast which was Miggy's calling card. Barco looks reinvigorated. He roomed with Josef when they were training in California and apparently Josef was pushing him really hard every day and so far it looks to have paid off.

I'm excited for the season. I'm coming down to Atlanta for the home opener and maybe the Orlando game in May.

• Like 1

Timbers start tHe season with a 12 game away stretch. First home game is June 1. We are adding 4000 seats to the stadium brining it to 25000 ish. We’ve been on a wait list for a couple years and the cheapest seats people generally wait about 5 years. We upgraded significantly and have season tickets this year! So stoked about that. 

Interested to see what Gio Savarese does in his second season. I’m not a huge Gio supporter yet but after the playoff run out of the playin bracket I’m getting there. 

I'm not sure how Herediano compares to other MLS teams, but man Pity Martinez looks good. He may be more skilled than Almiron with the ball at his feet, but he's not as fast which was Miggy's calling card. Barco looks reinvigorated. He roomed with Josef when they were training in California and apparently Josef was pushing him really hard every day and so far it looks to have paid off.
I'm excited for the season. I'm coming down to Atlanta for the home opener and maybe the Orlando game in May.

If you don’t already have plans for the home opener I highly recommend tailgating in the Gulch with the supporters groups. Unless it’s raining.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just learned you can download the Pluto TV app on your phone, tv, etc. which carries the MLS Network for free.  pretty damn sweet.

Timbers paid 12M transfer fee to get 24 y/o Argentine striker Brian Fernandez from Liga MX Necaxa.  Sounds like a bit of a firebrand with some history of tangles with bolivian marching powder.  dammit.  Hope he grows up, gives us 4 legit dangerous scorers to cover, and stays awhile.

Atlanta United took five points in its first six matches but now are third in the East after an MLS record 5th straight clean sheet win. This season has been so weird already. I was at the Orlando game Sunday it was nice to finally see them win at the Benz in person.

Atlanta United took five points in its first six matches but now are third in the East after an MLS record 5th straight clean sheet win. This season has been so weird already. I was at the Orlando game Sunday it was nice to finally see them win at the Benz in person.

With two games in hand no less. The crowd seemed to have return for the Orlando match, so yay fickle Atlanta sports fans. But I’m glad to see us playing better.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2019 at 11:12 PM, ATLLonghorn said:

Atlanta United just had their best performance of the season beating KC 3-0. Unfortunately they lose Barco for seven games because of the U20 World Cup. He's the most improved player in the league this year.

Atlanta United sucks. De Boer sucks. So glad they won last year because I'm not even really mad about it, just annoyed.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/7/2019 at 5:53 PM, Buzzrock said:

Fucking, fuck. Another chapter in NYRB owning ATLUTD.

Fun time watching the World Cup at the Benz though.

Atlanta United so thoroughly whipped their asses in the first leg of the Eastern Conference Finals last year Red Bulls fans barely showed up for the return leg so none of the Red Bulls "owning" Atlanta has even come close to mattering that much.

Undoubtedly. MLS and the team need to stop pretending Orlando is Atlanta's rival. The Red Bulls are. Both teams hate each other. The referee went into the locker room to give Larentowicz a red card after the game because of a skirmish at the end. It's an organic rivalry not this bullshit "geographical" rivalry they have with Orlando.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Anyone see Red Bulls v NYCFC?  Red Bulls scored on a really weird goal.  The ball went over the top of the corner flag, side judge indicated corner, Red Bulls throw the ball in and score.  NYCFC went nuts.  Not reviewable.  Goal stood.  

AR ruled it a corner. Lead official overruled him but NYCFC never heard the call and only saw the AR so they backed off to set up for a corner and the Red Bulls caught them napping. Typical, shit MLS officiating.

• Like 1