Americana Awards

hullabelew

2 hours ago, hullabelew said:

Holy fucking moly.

That song guts me whenever I hear it, whether it's the original recording or a live take.  She just absolutely slays it every time.  And to think she wrote it almost on a dare, at nearly the last second to fill out the album.  

I've thought from the jump that it seemed to blossom into a very Bowie-esque production by the end of the tune . . . and then I learned that the strings were arranged by the guy who did the same for "Space Oddity".  There you go.

It's probably the best, most important song of the last few years, and the recording and performance are sublime.

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Like 1

That song guts me whenever I hear it, whether it's the original recording or a live take.  She just absolutely slays it every time.  And to think she wrote it almost on a dare, at nearly the last second to fill out the album.  
I've thought from the jump that it seemed to blossom into a very Bowie-esque production by the end of the tune . . . and then I learned that the strings were arranged by the guy who did the same for "Space Oddity".  There you go.
It's probably the best, most important song of the last few years, and the recording and performance are sublime.
Didn't know that about the strings. Outstanding.

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Y'all are going to kill me for this, but I love the version she did on Ellen DeGeneres's show, and I really love her reaction at the end of it:

19 hours ago, Ollie Slatt said:

She is speaking at SXSW this year.  Hopefully she will play a show somewhere while in town, but I have not seen anything announced. 

shes's playing at osmf in april.   as is jason isbell.  it's always been such a laid back, lowkey festival.  as much as i love their music, almost hate that it's booking these big acts, because the vibe will change with the crowds.  

22 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

It is a great song; however, I’ve never understood the use of “important” to describe a song, album or a band.   Not mocking you or trying to start an internet squabble.   Just don’t get the “important” tag.   

9 minutes ago, deadshank said:

It is a great song; however, I’ve never understood the use of “important” to describe a song, album or a band.   Not mocking you or trying to start an internet squabble.   Just don’t get the “important” tag.   

It was a reference to the message conveyed by the lyrics.  

28 minutes ago, deadshank said:

OK. 

I get what you're alluding to, but I do think it's fair to say the vast majority of pop music is pretty lightweight when it comes to social commentary.  Of course, depending on one's political leanings, one could probably argue that "The Joke" is lyrical garbage.

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

I get what you're alluding to, but I do think it's fair to say the vast majority of pop music is pretty lightweight when it comes to social commentary.  Of course, depending on one's political leanings, one could probably argue that "The Joke" is lyrical garbage.

I’m to the right of Atilla the Hun but I get and appreciate the lyrics. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...