Kelly Willis

hullabelew

1 hour ago, Llano Estacado said:

Cheater’s Game album. If you haven’t heard it Hulla.

Husband and Wife laying it down.

Edit: Cheater’s. Not Chester’s fried chicken

Bruce is the only person I know who was quoted in the National Enquirer.   I guess it was during the recording of her Fading Fast EP, someone took a picture of her walking out of a hotel with a guitar case in hand.  According to the article, she was supposedly leaving Lyle Lovett's hotel room.  They 'quoted' Bruce in the article.  Something along the lines of, "If it's true, I'm going to break his scrawny neck".  I used to have a copy of that edition of the Enquirer and always wanted Bruce to autograph it for me but never got around to it.  

Bruce also plays at my church every year.  One of the most memorable concerts I've ever seen was when he just showed up with his guitar, sat down and killed it for two hours; Kelly was in the audience and she came up and sang a couple of songs.  If I had stretched out my legs, I would have kicked him in the shins.  If you've never been to one of the Savannah's Kitchen concerts, you should try to make it down sometime -- homemade tamales and pie, then quality music in a small room without cigarette smoke and drunk assholes:

SK-ElizaGilkyson-3_21_19.webp

Seen Slaid several times and he's great -- he and his family live in Wimberley.  The first time I saw him, I realized that I was standing next to his dad -- we were both having back problems at the time.

• Like 1

On 3/1/2019 at 10:16 AM, hullabelew said:

Yep.  They still do them.  Not sure where the Austin ones were this year.  

They also do a holiday show in Bertram at the Globe Theater.  We went in 2017 but missed this year.  Really cool old place to see them.  Recommend hiring a car.

• 3 years later...
19 hours ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Kelly and Bruce are divorcing. Anyone who's been through a divorce knows how difficult a journey it is. Seems like she's doing the best she can.

as a single man who likes both kelly willis and whataburger, this hits close to home.

Has anyone here seen her perform lately?  She's coming to the MN State Fair next week for a few performances.  They're on a free stage, so I'll likely go regardless, but I wonder what her setlist will be.  I saw her a lot, (and I mean a lot) in the late 90's early 00's but don't really care much for her more recent stuff much.  

csb, my daughter as a freshman at McCallum was on the basketball team with her daughter who was a senior.  Unfortunately that was during the first year of the pandemic and we couldn't attend games in person, so I didn't get a chance to stalk . . . err, I mean . . . sit by her in the stands.

On 8/24/2022 at 11:20 AM, South Austin said:

csb, my daughter as a freshman at McCallum was on the basketball team with her daughter who was a senior.  Unfortunately that was during the first year of the pandemic and we couldn't attend games in person, so I didn't get a chance to stalk . . . err, I mean . . . sit by her in the stands.

Yeah, I used to see Kelly at football games and track meets, seems like late Lamar/ early McCallum years for my son.  Never saw Bruce.

On 8/24/2022 at 11:20 AM, South Austin said:

Her daughter goes to Texas State now.  I believe she was a freshman this past year.  

I wondered how that girl's roommate reacted when some girl she had never met showed up and introduced herself as her new roommate and "Oh, these are my parents, Kelly and Bruce."

Edited by Beau Vine

Just now, Beau Vine said:

I wondered how that girl's roommate reacted when some girl she have never met showed up and introduced herself as her new roommate and "Oh, these are my parents, Kelly and Bruce."

Very normally? 18 year olds don't know who Kelly Willis and Bruce Robison are. They aren't celebs outside of Austin. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

My wife and I went to see her last night.  She sounds as great as ever!  She played two sets and included plenty of the old and new.  Thankfully, she didn't shy away from the Bruce songs either. She even introduced "Take it all out on you" as having been written by both of her ex-husbands.  

Kelly Willis.jpg

Edited by TexasHooch
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...