PSA - Free Solo - This Sunday Night - Nat Geo Channel

Wally Pryor

At least the girlfriend was good-looking.  And while she was pushy, I thought that she was pretty honest and real.  Same thing with the cameramen watching the ascent.  That ordeal was probably harder on everyone else than it was on Alex (other than physically).

After watching that, I would have to say that was probably the greatest single human feat I have ever witnessed.  Granted it was on tv so it’s hard to imagine how crazy that was without ever seeing El Capitan in person.  However, it was pretty fucking mind blowing watching that climb.  

3 hours ago, Big D said:

After watching that, I would have to say that was probably the greatest single human feat I have ever witnessed.  Granted it was on tv so it’s hard to imagine how crazy that was without ever seeing El Capitan in person.  However, it was pretty fucking mind blowing watching that climb.  

You know we've walked on the moon?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, DanRydell said:

His girlfriend is the best thing to ever happen to him. His parents seriously fucked him up. 

I kind of had the same thought. She made him act like an actual human being, which will make him happier than anything climbing related. 

• Like 2

I’m not getting the girlfriend hate, maybe I’m blinded by her looks. Yeah, she shouldn’t have let the rope slip thru her hands, and she said something pretty jinxy at one point, but she didn’t seem all that bad. Alex is an emotionless robot, MRI confirmed, and she actually handles that a lot better than many women would. 

I think the climb is an amazing accomplishment, I guess I just thought it would be a bigger chunk of the film. Then I realized it took only 3 hours and 56 minutes to pull off, and (thankfully) there didn’t seem to be any harrowing moments (other than the whole damn thing). Any anxiety was provided by the bearded camera operator, who couldn’t watch (isn’t that his job?). I’m so used to Hollywood provided artificial drama, I guess an honest depiction of a monumental yet well planned climb seemed a tad less than expected. But that’s my problem.

Favorite part of their interaction was the fridge shopping and ending up with that dorm+ size fridge for the huge cavern in the wall. 

Also wish his sister was on film, really curious to see how much of a train wreck she is emotionally/socially. 

Edited by bluto
  • Like 2

I was reading some youtube comment thread on the joe rogan podcast and some guy was claiming this wasn't the greatest physical or mental feat by a human and got trolled pretty hard.

I think some people don't realize how inhuman climbing el capitan is WITH ROPES. No one else on the planet has even considered free soloing it, I seriously doubt anyone even tries again while all of us are still breathing. I hope Alex calls it quits after this and just sticks to free climbing because he's already GOAT from a free solo climb perspective there's no reason to make that harder to beat. It's interesting too, because Alex made the point that a lot of the other Free Solo Climbers that have died haven't died free soloing, but other stupid shit like basejumping etc. He's not an adrenaline junky he's just a freak of nature and a climbing machine.

I thought it was hilarious when he would argue with his girlfriend. 

Girl: Will you take more precaution because of me?

Alex: I literally can’t take any more precaution than I already do. If I make a mistake, I die. There is not another level of precaution I can take above not dying. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bluto said:

Favorite part of their interaction was the fridge shopping and ending up with that dorm+ size fridge for the huge cavern in the wall. 

Also wish his sister was on film, really curious to see how much of a train wreck she is emotionally/socially. 

Yeah, not too many girls let the fridge thing slide. That would bug the shit out of me. 

21 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The girlfriend is definitely a bitch. How did this win an Oscar with her in it? Is he climbing mountains to get away from her? 

If you're immediate reaction upon watching this documentary is, "Wow, what a bitch," then you have some pretty unrealistic expectations about women and relationships in general. Dear lord.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, CrownKing said:

I posted this on the Netflix thread but thought I would here as well. Dawn Wall just dropped on Netflix and it is just as well done as Free Solo.  Follows Tommy Caldwell and his quest for the hardest free climb ever done  

giphy.gif

13 hours ago, CrownKing said:

I posted this on the Netflix thread but thought I would here as well. Dawn Wall just dropped on Netflix and it is just as well done as Free Solo.  Follows Tommy Caldwell and his quest for the hardest free climb ever done  

If you want to get mad at a girlfriend/spouse, Dawn Wall is the place to do it.

Spoiler

Tommy saves her from Islamic rebels by pushing a dude off a cliff, takes her on all his adventures as his climbing partner, rises to the top of the climbing world (and presumably makes bank because of it) and she divorces him for some other guy.  Just brutal.  

On 3/3/2019 at 9:21 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

The girlfriend is definitely a bitch. How did this win an Oscar with her in it? Is he climbing mountains to get away from her? 

not sure if serious.  what makes you say that?  she had the patience of job if you ask me.  i dont think many women would tolerate his personality disorders, not to mention his death wish/career choice, or the fact he lives in a van.  he doesn't hug, he doesn't say i love you.   she was a saint imho.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

not sure if serious.  what makes you say that?  she had the patience of job if you ask me.  i dont think many women would tolerate his personality disorders, not to mention his death wish/career choice, or the fact he lives in a van.  he doesn't hug, he doesn't say i love you.   she was a saint imho.

Nah, she didn't suck his dick on command, never speak unless spoken to, and have dinner waiting for him on the table when he got back.  Total buzzkill. 

2 hours ago, thrillhammer said:

Perhaps. If she didn't have a clear agenda of being a part of his fame. I'm on the she's a cunt team. And annoying as all hell. Cute as hell too, though.

Torn on her....  there's no way he had the game to 'lead her on' initially so she knew damn well what she was signing up for with him - climbing is his life. Yet she's trying to change the leopard's spots. 

Same time, he's decided to keep her around and move forward with it so of course she's gonna want him to not risk death.

29 minutes ago, BBQ2Bayou said:

Perhaps. If she didn't have a clear agenda of being a part of his fame. I'm on the she's a cunt team. And annoying as all hell. Cute as hell too, though.

Even on a site at misogynistic as Surly can be, I am seriously flabbergasted by this.  What in the video could even be construed as bitchy or cunty? She never once tried to talk him out of it. The closest she came was asking if he felt any obligation to maximize his lifespan (i.e. her and their future together), and she didn't even blink when he said no. Other than that, I honestly don't know how she could have been more supportive.  She put up with all his quirks and slights like a champ, and has clearly chipped down some of his walls.  She kept her shit together and stayed amazingly positive until the very end, when he wasn't around.

He was (is?) in to her way more than his words expressed.  He wanted her there.  If he didn't, he would have done it on his own, no questions asked.  It was actually her who voluntarily left to allow him to focus.  What else are you looking for from her, exactly?

5 minutes ago, bluto said:

Torn on her....  there's no way he had the game to 'lead her on' initially so she knew damn well what she was signing up for with him - climbing is his life. Yet she's trying to change the leopard's spots. 

Same time, he's decided to keep her around and move forward with it so of course she's gonna want him to not risk death.

i don't even think that she was trying to change any spots (other than the emotional distance).  Women date/marry Navy Seals too.  They know what they're getting into and the very real possibly that they'll come home in a box...but that doesn't mean that they aren't allowed to talk and worry about the elephant in the room, or dream of a future where their significant other no longer does those dangerous things.

• Like 3