PSA - Free Solo - This Sunday Night - Nat Geo Channel

Wally Pryor

Watching Free Solo I couldn't help but think of Philipe Pettit and  'Man on Wire.' Pettit wire walked between the Twin Towers  in '74. While not as technically or physically challenging (like any of us are gonna judge the difference), Pettit's feat was similarly unimaginable (and a much better film). 

Both Alex and Philipe were born to do something no one else could do. And neither could live a fulfilled life without attempting the impossible. They both would rather die than admit that they didn't try to achieve perfection. 

11 hours ago, Bobby Light said:

Simply amazing. The way he climbs with just the tiniest little indention to stick his toe in is almost the same to me as seeing Jesus walk on water. Just seems impossible.

If you think the holds were amazingly small for this, go watch The Dawn Wall. The Dawn Wall is so smooth that it was considered impossible to free climb until Tommy Caldwell and Kevin Jorgeson climbed it four years ago.

• Like 2

Watching this now. One of the best docs I have ever seen.  His GF is def accommodating, but  still annoying as fuck. But you know what, what woman isn't? No way it will last, Alex's fuck it attitude isn't going to change. They are in their "honeymoon" phase and she's already talking about needing words of affirmation and all the typical BS. he won't put up with the nagging and I'm sure the pussy is already getting old. 

When they asked him about his gf, he said something to the effect that he liked having her around -- she's small, cute, doesn't take up too much space, makes things nicer....

Also said that he'll probably have a lot of gfs in his life.

Edited by retread

54 minutes ago, retread said:

When they asked him about his gf, he said something to the effect that he liked having her around -- she's small, cute, doesn't take up too much space, makes things nicer....

Also said that he'll probably have a lot of gfs in his life.

His lifestyle isn't conducive to someone who also isn't a little bit out there, and basically loves climbing. She seems like someone who wants children, a white picket fence, and a suburban lifestyle. He needs someone extreme. 

Just watched the ending a damn, such a beautiful documentary. Makes me feel like such an underachiever. This dude actually lives life, rather than going to an office everyday bullshitting. 

Edited by hundredTT

The whole climbing part of the Doc was great. Obviously going in we know he makes it but holy hell whatever portion of the climb where he had to do the karate kick as well as at the very end where he goes around the edge and looks like he's hanging on the side of the earth were just beautifully done and I had anxiety sitting on my couch. 

I also loved that they said he had made it when he still was one foot slip away from falling 2700 ft to his death but they knew because the "hard part" of the climb was over. 

Just fucking nuts. 

As for the GF she was slightly annoying but she didn't bother me too much. And buying that tiny fridge to put in that house was funny as hell.  

On 3/6/2019 at 6:38 PM, hundredTT said:

Watching this now. One of the best docs I have ever seen.  His GF is def accommodating, but  still annoying as fuck. But you know what, what woman isn't? No way it will last, Alex's fuck it attitude isn't going to change. They are in their "honeymoon" phase and she's already talking about needing words of affirmation and all the typical BS. he won't put up with the nagging and I'm sure the pussy is already getting old. 

Yeah, it's super unreasonable to want your boyfriend to say nice things to and about you.

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, austingirl said:

Yeah, it's super unreasonable to want your boyfriend to say nice things to and about you.

For normal people of course. Do you not realize Alex isn't normal? She is a suburban bimbo who lives by norms...Alex lived in a van for 8 years, eating random slosh with a spatula and peeing in bottles bedside. As I said, he needs someone extreme, not a dumb bitch wanting to measure for a sectional when he was like "I'd sleep on the carpet". Her shit will get tiring and pussy will get old especially with him being a celebrity now, he will get all sorts of strange groupies who are better looking and won't district him from soloing. This bitch nearly killed him letting go of the rope. She is not game, and will def be a nag. He will dump her like a garbage truck.  

Edited by hundredTT
  • Fuck You 3

5 minutes ago, hundredTT said:

For normal people of course. Do you not realize Alex isn't normal? She is a suburban bimbo who lives by norms...Alex lived in a van for 8 years, eating random slosh with a spatula and peeing in bottles bedside. As I said, he needs someone extreme, not a dumb bitch wanting to measure for a sectional when he was like "I'd sleep on the carpet". Her shit will get tiring and pussy will get old especially with him being a celebrity now, he will get all sorts of strange groupies who are better looking. 

On 3/6/2019 at 6:38 PM, hundredTT said:

Ok but you've already referred to her as:

- A suburban bimbo

- A dumb bitch

- Annoying as fuck

- Pussy

Which reads like your personal opinion, not just as your interpretation of what Alex sees in her. 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, JimmyHoffa said:

I can't remember at what point but I swear his foot slips at some point not completely off just a slight one. Not at the tricky really scary parts but just you know a normal spot where one slip isn't going to result in death but still just unreal. 

I can't find it right now, but I was reading about his climb, and the article was describing the smear technique of 'walking' along a slick wall. You get enough friction by pressing the sole of the show into the wall relying on a small nub or imperfection in the wall. They said you kind of have to roll quickly from one foot to another to avoid slipping.

Another short video

https://video.nationalgeographic.com/video/ng-adventure/00000144-0a28-d3cb-a96c-7b2d4d9a0000

Edited by retread

For normal people of course. Do you not realize Alex isn't normal? She is a suburban bimbo who lives by norms...Alex lived in a van for 8 years, eating random slosh with a spatula and peeing in bottles bedside. As I said, he needs someone extreme, not a dumb bitch wanting to measure for a sectional when he was like "I'd sleep on the carpet". Her shit will get tiring and pussy will get old especially with him being a celebrity now, he will get all sorts of strange groupies who are better looking and won't district him from soloing. This bitch nearly killed him letting go of the rope. She is not game, and will def be a nag. He will dump her like a garbage truck.  

That’s a lot of words just to say you’re an incel piece of shit.
  • Like 5

28 minutes ago, austingirl said:

Ok but you've already referred to her as:

- A suburban bimbo

- A dumb bitch

- Annoying as fuck

- Pussy

Which reads like your personal opinion, not just as your interpretation of what Alex sees in her. 

I don’t know how you deal with people like that 

It took a few thousand people to get Neil Armstrong to the moon. Incredible feat to be sure, but I’d have to agree that Honnold’s free solo of El Capitan probably is the greatest single human feat ever. I imagine we’ll eventually be hearing about someone dying while trying free solo the same route. Then again maybe not...because most climbers think it’s crazy as fuck.

FYI There’s a youtube video of Honnold critiquing famous climbing scenes in movies like Mission Impossible and etc. He’s of course a bit dry but it’s pretty humorous in general.

I watched it Saturday night. Haven't slept all that well since, just lying there thinking about how astonishing that climb is. I don't think anyone will be able to repeat it in our lifetime. Honestly I don't know if Honnold could repeat it either.

I'm also dreading the day this thread gets bumped out of nowhere.

57 minutes ago, spystud13 said:

The thing that amazes me is you would think that guy would have to be a fucking beast with upper-body strength. I’m talking like old school Mr. Olympia-type shit. But he was tiny. 

skinny guys fight until they are hamburger.  also have to basically be a contortionist, which muscle bound guys aren't.

• Like 1

I watched it last weekend, then again this Saturday, then the last 45 minutes again Sunday morning.  So good.

The fridge still has me laughing.

I think it's in this TED talk, where he talks about free soloing Half Dome, and it being kind of a let down at the top.  There were a bunch of tourists taking pictures, not realizing what he'd just done.  He took off his shoes to hike down, and everyone said, "Woah, hiking barefoot?  That's hardcore!"

• Like 1

4 hours ago, spystud13 said:

The thing that amazes me is you would think that guy would have to be a fucking beast with upper-body strength. I’m talking like old school Mr. Olympia-type shit. But he was tiny. 

climbing is actually mostly lower body/core

16 hours ago, spystud13 said:

grip strength, muscle endurance, vs weight.  i think they'd have to be lean wiry guys... like those african and south asian fishermen you'd see on national geographic who dont weight train recreationally but are all skinny-ripped as hell

On 3/3/2019 at 10:38 PM, hookem2010 said:

I meant to catch this in theaters but never did. Tuning in tonight. I'm not even a climber, but I could watch climbing documentaries constantly. Thanks for the heads up

I am the same way with surfing shows.  Never been on a surfboard in my life, but if I'm flipping channels and a surfing show is on I'm watching it until the end.

On 3/5/2019 at 9:53 PM, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

If you think the holds were amazingly small for this, go watch The Dawn Wall. The Dawn Wall is so smooth that it was considered impossible to free climb until Tommy Caldwell and Kevin Jorgeson climbed it four years ago.

Watched on your recommendation.  Very much enjoyed.  Not really about being a hair away from death the whole time like Hannold, but on the very positive environment of doing something right on the edge of impossible with a good friend and partner in front of your proud father.  Wholesome entertainment. 

16 hours ago, miguelito said:

The fridge still has me laughing.

I loved how his gushing praise when he saw it was "this fridge is so adequate".   All he wanted in a fridge was an adequate one.  

the other thing that cracked me up was him coming across the climbers that were camping on the ledge, one of them wearing unicorn pj's.  i would love to hear his thoughts when he came across them, what they said to each other (he was cruising, and on a mission, so it was a very short convo), and what the campers thoughts were upon seeing him moving so fast and if they even noticed he didn't have ropes.

20 hours ago, spystud13 said:

It's the difference between actual functional strength and beach muscles.  Being strong and looking strong aren't necessarily the same thing.