PSA - Free Solo - This Sunday Night - Nat Geo Channel

Wally Pryor

• 2 months later...

I just watched (twice) Free Solo on Hulu. 

Words can't describe how good this movie is (imo) and the incredible feat that Alex Honnold accomplished. I was more in awe the second time I watched it than the first. It's like (Tommy Caldwell?) said, those who know a little bit about climbing (and not saying that I know a lot) think basically "no big deal", while those who know more think "what the fuck! this is crazy/amazing/whoa!". 

After this I watched "The Dawn Wall" (think it's on Netflix) about Tommy Caldwell and Kevin Jorgeson's ascent (is that the correct term?) of the Dawn Wall of El Capitan. These guys are not only incredible climbers they are also inspiring people. 

Mr. Caldwell and Mr. Honnold are amazing. 

Fyi, Alex and Sanni got engaged last Christmas. 

If you haven't seen this yet, please watch it. Get Hulu for a month if you have to. 

Just. Fucking. Amazing. Probably the single biggest physical/athletic feat in the history of mankind. 

Oh, and a shout out to Jimmy Chin (the guy who basically did the movie). He deserved his Oscar for this. 

Edited by Asithappens
  • Like 1

How many people in the world have the physical and technical skills to even attempt that? 

In other words how many people have the ability to execute all those climbing maneuvers in a row without falling once, even if they were hooked up to a safety line while doing it?  I'm no climbing expert but I'm assuming it's in the single digits.  

Now take all those people and find one with balls big enough to risk death to try it, and more importantly, has the mental ability to do it when failure means certain death. 

I know I'm getting futuremanned here, but if you gave me the option of fighting a sabre-tooth tiger bare handed or climbing El Cap free solo, I'd take the sabre tooth.   .00000001% > .00%

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Not a cat said:

How many people in the world have the physical and technical skills to even attempt that? 

In other words how many people have the ability to execute all those climbing maneuvers in a row without falling once, even if they were hooked up to a safety line while doing it?  I'm no climbing expert but I'm assuming it's in the single digits.  

Now take all those people and find one with balls big enough to risk death to try it, and more importantly, has the mental ability to do it when failure means certain death. 

I know I'm getting futuremanned here, but if you gave me the option of fighting a sabre-tooth tiger bare handed or climbing El Cap free solo, I'd take the sabre tooth.   .00000001% > .00%

Here's how Tommy Caldwell put it. It's just his opinion, but it's interesting:

Imagine an Olympic-gold-medal-level athletic achievement that, if you don't get that gold medal, you're gonna die. That's pretty much what free soloing El Cap is like.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Asithappens said:

Yeah, but I stand by it. 

Sorry Hercules (half man, right?).

If you want to be even more blown away by the accomplishment, go to Yosemite, walk up to the base of El Cap and look up.  The documentary was fantastic, however the sheer enormity of El Cap can't really be grasped on a screen.  Me and my kids just stood there for a few minutes in complete silence, stunned that someone climbed the thing with their bare hands.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

It’s on Disney+ now, also. We watched it this morning, and I’ll echo what everyone had said: just an outstanding film. Drama, great scenery/cinematography, and Alex is an interesting and compelling individual. I literally had nervous stomach watching Alex’s attempt at the end, even though I was ~98% sure the movie would not be released if he failed (ie died). The wife and I both lol’d when he said he almost dumped the GF after he sprained his ankle. Anyone who haven’t seen it... it really is worth a viewing.

Edited by Dutch