OMG WTF happend to David Lee Roth

Thetexashammer

I think he got so much puss in the early years he's drifted in "other" directions.  His voice is completely gone as well, can hardly carry a tune.  Michael Anthony is very underrated in how he made every VH singer sound better than they were with his backup vocals.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mulletpelini said:

I think he got so much puss in the early years he's drifted in "other" directions.  His voice is completely gone as well, can hardly carry a tune.  Michael Anthony is very underrated in how he made every VH singer sound better than they were with his backup vocals.

Took me some time to realize Micheal was really the sound of Halen. Hagar said as much when he joined as well. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Txzen said:

Took me some time to realize Micheal was really the sound of Halen. Hagar said as much when he joined as well. 

The sound of Van Halen was all four of those guys working together.  Switch out the pieces, it's something different.

6 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

The sound of Van Halen was all four of those guys working together.  Switch out the pieces, it's something different.

No disagreement there, but the vocal sound is mostly held up by Micheal. 

8 hours ago, mulletpelini said:

this . Michael may be the most underappreciated rock n roll guy ever. His background vocals absolutely made VH sound like they did, especially in DLR days. Seems like a cool guy too.  

10 hours ago, mulletpelini said:

He was never able to carry a tune. Have you even seen some of those live recordings? But seriously -- he got old. Your voice decays when that happens. Same thing happens to everyone...have you heard Geddy try to sing "Hemispheres" on the R40 album? They even dropped it down a fifth to try to help.

13 hours ago, Thetexashammer said:

1. Physical appearance. Gotta be some kind of intestinal disease. 

2. His brain. Listen to him. Jesus he's defective. I looked up to his guy.

He's sixty-four years old and spent tons of time in the sun with no sunscreen.

His brain is the same it's always been. He was diagnosed with Hyperactivity years before he was famous. And if you go read Crazy From the Heat -- a rare celebrity autobiography which was merely edited, not ghost-written -- you see the same sort of thing. It's all over the place, but it's absolutely fascinating. What's more, it's clear from all the other biographers' works on the man that he's the genius.

I've been listening to the podcast in question (don't give a fuck about Joe Rogan, but anything and everything about Van Halen is crack for me) and yeah, that's the same DLR that he's always been. Just older.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

It's called aging; shit happens and it accelerates when you fuel it w/ massive amounts of drugs and alcohol. 

While nobody will consider him a teetotaler, he actually wasn't a user. I suspect -- a wee bit of personal experience talking here, which is hardly statistically significant -- that being the son of a physician did that to him. I also suspect that being close to Alex and Ed while they got absolutely destroyed by alcoholism did a bit, too. I wouldn't put a toke or the occasional martini out of his reach, or the once-in-a-while bender, but you'll note that in those old concerts, he always takes a drink from the bottle, then hands it to the Little Person who was his bodyguard to finish it off.

2 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

this . Michael may be the most underappreciated rock n roll guy ever. His background vocals absolutely made VH sound like they did, especially in DLR days. Seems like a cool guy too.  

This is true, according to damned near everyone who's ever met or worked with him. Michael's the real deal.

2 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

He briefly attended my HS, but apparently didn't live up to the conduct standards of the school.  Neither did I, but I was able to bob and weave my way to graduation.

Back then, if you aspired to be a Rock God and actually graduated, it was a sign that you weren't any good and were probably better off working at the local hardware store instead.

4 hours ago, Incredulity said:

have you seen Eddie lately?

Eddie had a really rough beginning to the 21st century between the mouth cancer, failing to recover from alcoholism, divorce, bad hip... he's gotten a lot better with the new marriage and finally, maybe possibly for good this time, getting off the sauce.

8 hours ago, PilotsError said:

That was a phenomenal podcast today.

DLR is always fun to hear talk, if it takes a bit of effort just to track him while he goes all over the place.

4 hours ago, usmc0331horn said:

People get old. I know it's weird but it does happen. Unless you're Paul Rudd then aging is defeated.

That happens with short people, then it comes crashing down all at once. See: Dick Clark