OMG WTF happend to David Lee Roth

Thetexashammer

17 hours ago, Thetexashammer said:

Jesus he's defective

you didn't figure this out ~40 years ago?

edit: how the fuck did i manage to double post 17 hours later?  had a server 500 error, hit reload, and double post

Edited by elfenix

DLR doesn’t look bad for an aging rocker. Like many guys, some of them lose their hair and don’t try to look 25 again. 

as for frampton, I think he has some muscular problem where he’s quickly losing the ability to play guitar. Hence the final tour. I always found it intriguing how he went quickly from 8x platinum album to fairly obscure at least in the mainstream.

12 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

as for frampton, ... I always found it intriguing how he went quickly from 8x platinum album to fairly obscure at least in the mainstream.

At a certain point, listening to the words "doodoo doy" in a robot guitar voice begins to lose its appeal. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom

On 3/1/2019 at 2:02 PM, smuggs said:

Could be worse. He could be 6 years younger and look like Vince Neil.

maxresdefault.jpg

JFC. Did Spinal Tap sign Jon Lovitz ? 

New genre: Lamaze Rock

Edited by NAVY

I listened to the podcast so couldn’t see the visual.  I found DLR to be a surprisingly very interesting guy who hasn’t just sat back on his rock star larels.  In his 50s he went to EMT school, become an EMT, cleaned shit and worked rough parts just to experience it and expand his horizons.  He went to japan and entered calligraphy school to experience that type of devotion to craft.  Yea he is a bit spacy, and endless pussy and fun has taken its toll, but he seems like a ritueous dude with a good philosophy on life.  I grew up listening to VH but I always thought of DLH as an airhead.  I gained respect for him listening to that podcast.  He is on my top 10 people Id like to smoke a J with.

Edited by Horn Dog
  • Like 6

On 3/1/2019 at 5:44 AM, slorch said:

You will laugh...

What was I supposed to laugh at here?  This sounds exactly like I expected it to.  He was in tune.  Had I had a voice like this in my early 20's while singing in a band, I would have made a millions dollars.

Now fast forward to everything I've heard from him past "Sensible Shoes", and he literally cannot sync with the melody.  It sucks because you know he once was able to.  My guess is that he may have lost some of his hearing and that has effected his ability to sync the way he once did.  Most singers voices do deteriorate as they age, that is understandable, and many have commented on it (Plant, Stanley, etc).  Most can still carry a tune, the same that they were able to before.  The range lessens, the endurance fails a bit, but most can still match the music, probably at a lower octave if needed.

13 hours ago, Horn Dog said:

I listened to the podcast so couldn’t see the visual.  I found DLR to be a surprisingly very interesting guy who hasn’t just sat back on his rock star larels.  In his 50s he went to EMT school, become an EMT, cleaned shit and worked rough parts just to experience it and expand his horizons.  He went to japan and entered calligraphy school to experience that type of devotion to craft.  Yea he is a bit spacy, and endless pussy and fun has taken its toll, but he seems like a ritueous dude with a good philosophy on life.  I grew up listening to VH but I always thought of DLH as an airhead.  I gained respect for him listening to that podcast.  He is on my top 10 people Id like to smoke a J with.

100% this.

16 hours ago, Horn Dog said:

i know a guy who says he jacked off in a cave with DLR and three other dudes...

8 hours ago, slorch said:

Sure.  He sounds like a regular Pavarotti and the whimsical screams and hey-ehs are not comical at all...

I'm not sure anybody EVER said he had one of the best voices out there. Because he never did. He was the perfect front man for an 80's rock band that put on a great live show and entertained the shit out of people. 

I saw them live on one of their reunion tours several years ago and he couldn't pull off what made him so great when they were in their prime- running around and being in good enough shape to not be out of breath and late on vocals. It's sad but age is a bitch. 

26 minutes ago, JimmyHoffa said:

I'm not sure anybody EVER said he had one of the best voices out there. Because he never did. He was the perfect front man for an 80's rock band that put on a great live show and entertained the shit out of people. 

I saw them live on one of their reunion tours several years ago and he couldn't pull off what made him so great when they were in their prime- running around and being in good enough shape to not be out of breath and late on vocals. It's sad but age is a bitch. 

Great live show, saw em in their prime, he brought the house down 

DLR got knocked a lot as vocalist, but he had an ear and had no trouble with pitch.

His voice just didn't have a beautiful tone/nice timbre.

But his voice was perfect for Van Halen at their peak.  I don't wanna hear anybody else sing And the Cradle/I'll Wait/Everybody Wants Some/Runnin with Devil/several others.

On 3/4/2019 at 3:26 AM, slorch said:

Sure.  He sounds like a regular Pavarotti and the whimsical screams and hey-ehs are not comical at all...

If you want Paganini as the voice of your rock n roll, have at it.  I'll stick with the dude with the whimsical screams and hey-ehs from the late 70's

• Like 1

On 3/4/2019 at 8:43 AM, Kyrie Eleison said:

i know a guy who says he jacked off in a cave with DLR and three other dudes...

Reminds me of a joke:  What's the worst thing you can say to a girl who just blew Willie Nelson?

A: That's not Willie Nelson

Just substitute jacking off with DLR

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, mulletpelini said:

If you want Paganini as the voice of your rock n roll, have at it.  I'll stick with the dude with the whimsical screams and hey-ehs from the late 70's

some of you motherfuckers are wound tighter'n fuck.

It was funny/  Laugh for a gotdam second.  Somebody acted all insulted that it could be possibly humorous to listen to the track and giggle...

On 3/4/2019 at 10:13 AM, Onboard 2.0 said:

No no he's not. There is only one DLR, and there will only ever be one DLR.  Who is Michael Starr ?

Mike Starr is the now dead original bassist for Alice In Chains

spacer.png 

bottom left

he's probably thinking of Mike Anthony

Edited by Dennis Taylor

22 hours ago, GoPokes83 said:

Shit’s just sad.

Where to start?

I mean, no one watching Ellen is expecting anything close to a "live" performance, but they made the decision to:

A) Ignore the fucking fact there's no one playing the front and center keyboard riff that defines the song & just announce from the opening notes that this whole thing is canned

B) Let DLR screech around with no hope of hitting any note--let alone a high one--when he might have been able to get away with lowering his vocals an octave & not sound like a cat with its tail caught in the ringer

C) Think that 45 seconds of EVH plinking on his fret would cover up all of the other egregious mistakes

Credit to DLR who's obviously taken a Sting-like approach to yoga because he's in amazing physical shape. No man his age should be able to perform high sweep kicks like that. But after seeing that if anyone would pay more than a $10 cover at their local watering hole to see that they should have their head examined.

21 hours ago, slorch said:

some of you motherfuckers are wound tighter'n fuck.

It was funny/  Laugh for a gotdam second.  Somebody acted all insulted that it could be possibly humorous to listen to the track and giggle...

sure thing, Paganini.

and the video with atomic punks confirms that MA is probably the best rock background vocalist.....ever.

Edited by mulletpelini

DLR was great with VH but he flat out sucks now.  I saw him not on the last tour because I wasn't going to waste money again, but on the tour before with VH.  He stopped the show for 20 minutes to talk about his sheep dogs.  He had a dance floor on stage for him to slide around on.  It was not the good old VH.  It was after that show that I started to realize that DLR slaying the pussy every night was his act, living the rockstar life fantasy for all the fans.  I think he is gay.

Rumor is they are trying to put a small stadium tour together this summer with Micheal Anthony making an appearance.  I seriously doubt it will happen since it is VH and they can't stay away from the drama.

On 3/1/2019 at 2:56 AM, mulletpelini said:

I think he got so much puss in the early years he's drifted in "other" directions.  His voice is completely gone as well, can hardly carry a tune.  Michael Anthony is very underrated in how he made every VH singer sound better than they were with his backup vocals.

MA runs circles around DLR vocally.  Exhibit A...

1 minute ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

That's like saying (Fill in the blank) sings Dylan better than Bob Dylan.  

No it's not.  I'm talking vocals.  Just vocals, nothing else.

I didn't say that Anthony should have fronted for VH.

You get that right?

Edited by Cajun

So that precludes talking about individual aspects of talent?

David was the energy guy, the personality guy, the flashy guy, the right guy for the job.

I get that.

I'm not making an argument that rock is only about vocals.  I don't know how you perceived that.

Edited by Cajun