Best Diners in Texas

Hill Country Cupboard - looked it up.
Place was kind of a dump, but in a good way.  We pulled in because the parking lot was full.  I had huevos rancheros and the wife had chicken fried steak.  I wouldn't call it the best breakfast I've had, but it was good, and I'd stop again if I found myself rolling through before noon. 
Maybe it's the place you're talking about as I'm sure because I'm from Iowa, I don't anything about real whatever it is, and my uncultured palate didn't know any better (tongue firmly in cheek here).

Not many dudes would namecheck they wife ordering CFS for breakfast.

That’s some fat shit.

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Holy shit three straight swings and misses

1. Mary’s is about the most overrated place on earth. They are at best the third best option in Palo Pinto County and that’s being generous.

2. Perini’s is as much a diner as the Pope is Jewish

Disagree about 1.  It’s pretty f’n good and worth the 20 minute detour if you are headed west on 20 and need to grab something to eat.

• Like 1

Disagree about 1.  It’s pretty f’n good and worth the 20 minute detour if you are headed west on 20 and need to grab something to eat.

You’re entitled to your wrong opinion. I bet you think Applebee’s has killer chips and salsa too! Kidding lol

If you think Mary’s is something special then The Cafe in Graford will make you change your religion. If you don’t have the time to venture up there the next best option is the Smokestack in Mingus. Clear your schedule beforehand because the CFS is the size of an entire plate. Your sides come on a separate plate
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

You’re entitled to your wrong opinion. I bet you think Applebee’s has killer chips and salsa too! Kidding lol

If you think Mary’s is something special then The Cafe in Graford will make you change your religion. If you don’t have the time to venture up there the next best option is the Smokestack in Mingus. Clear your schedule beforehand because the CFS is the size of an entire plate. Your sides come on a separate plate

Smokestack is pretty good also..

I never said those 3 were the best in Texas. They just happened to be near places I do business ventures. I could probably name 100s of other places that are just as good.

Those 3 are always packed to the brim so I guess there are a few others that like them also.

By the way you didn't mention Western Sky in San Angelo. You said all 3. Can't imagine what you didn't like there. 

Try a plate of Tenders sometime. They were damn sure good last week.

Dieter Brothers, Smoking Republic Steakhouse, 
Copperhead Bar, and Smokehouse BBQ are great places to eat around Lindsay TX just to name a few more.

11 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Holy shit three straight swings and misses

1. Mary’s is about the most overrated place on earth. They are at best the third best option in Palo Pinto County and that’s being generous.

2. Perini’s is as much a diner as the Pope is Jewish

Agree with you about Perini’s.  Damn good place to eat but no diner.  For real diners in Abilene, Dixie Pig.

On 3/12/2019 at 2:17 PM, dcbc said:

I see we've got a few diner/cafe hybrids on the list.

Fountainview Cafe in Houston

Also, Uptown Cafe in Thorndale TX isn't a bad place to stop if you happen to be making a run down 79.  I recall the Chicken Fried Steak's being pretty good.

I ate at Fountainview once every other week for years when my office was down the street. Talk about a surly owner who just looked the part of a guy who would one day say some stupid shit to get himself crowdsourced.  It was no surprise when it happened.  Anyway, the food was always decent and some days it was pretty good.  Lankford or Avalon get most of my diner dollars these days.  Jims > Dennys/Ihop.  I thought Black Bear would be better than it is and if i'm doing something like that First Watch gets the nod.    

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Cleburne- Chaf-In

Stephenville-Jake and Dot's, Peacocks

Hico-Koffee Kup

Godley-Chisholm's

Archer City-Murn's

Granbury-Firehouse, Pam's

Iredell-Iredell Cafe

Glen Rose-Big Cup

Strawn-Mary's

All are good. Murn's and Iredell Cafe are exceptional. Jake and Dot's round out the top three.

CHIEF

9 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

What do you get at the Iredell Cafe? Next time I go see my brother that's just a short detour going towards Hico instead of Cranfills Gap like I normally do

The catfish. Cranfills Gap had The Wooden Spoon when I lived there, and it would have trumped them all except Murn's in Archer City. Nothing touches Murn's.

CHIEF

5 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I think Black Bear is the best chain diner in Greater Houston. Steak, 2 eggs, and hash browns for $10. Pretty good coffee too.

Its good.  I think my opinion was tempered when I had heard a fair amount of hype only to be quenched  by my initial experience.

• 2 months later...
On 2/7/2021 at 11:59 AM, CHIEF said:

Cleburne- Chaf-In

Stephenville-Jake and Dot's, Peacocks

Hico-Koffee Kup

Godley-Chisholm's

Archer City-Murn's

Granbury-Firehouse, Pam's

Iredell-Iredell Cafe

Glen Rose-Big Cup

Strawn-Mary's

All are good. Murn's and Iredell Cafe are exceptional. Jake and Dot's round out the top three.

CHIEF

I’m headed to OKC on Monday and want to stop some place out of the way for lunch. I was originally thinking Woodson Inn in Woodson. Then I found this thread and am thinking Murn’s or the Cafe in Graford. Any others to consider up that way? 

43 minutes ago, Horny said:

I’m headed to OKC on Monday and want to stop some place out of the way for lunch. I was originally thinking Woodson Inn in Woodson. Then I found this thread and am thinking Murn’s or the Cafe in Graford. Any others to consider up that way? 

Both of those are solid. The chicken fried steak at Murn's in Archer City is the best one I've eaten. Also one of the only places I know of where you can get a Monte Cristo sandwich which also is bangin'.

CHIEF

On 2/7/2021 at 11:36 AM, billfromlaketravis said:

I think Black Bear is the best chain diner in Greater Houston. Steak, 2 eggs, and hash browns for $10. Pretty good coffee too.

If I'm in Houston I should go to black bear before I go to the Dot?  I've never even heard about this place.  It's a multi state chain from California.  

1 hour ago, Horny said:

Nic's Grill in OKC for a damn good burger.  

On 2/6/2021 at 2:56 PM, Herbie Hancock said:

New York Hill across the highway from Smokestack is better imo. Or at least just as good. Tried one on the way to get my covid vaccine and tried the other on the way back

• Fuck You 5

8 hours ago, CHIEF said:

Both of those are solid. The chicken fried steak at Murn's in Archer City is the best one I've eaten. Also one of the only places I know of where you can get a Monte Cristo sandwich which also is bangin'.

CHIEF

Sounds like a winner to me. I’ll report back.

On 4/8/2021 at 3:09 PM, CHIEF said:

CHIEF

That was a damn good chicken fry at Murns. I think I agree with you on the best I’ve ever had as well. My lone complaint and it’s a big one is that they did not have mashed potatoes. That would have turned it up to an 11.

55 minutes ago, Horny said:

That was a damn good chicken fry at Murns. I think I agree with you on the best I’ve ever had as well. My lone complaint and it’s a big one is that they did not have mashed potatoes. That would have turned it up to an 11.

I always get a baked potato, which is hard for anyone to screw up. Their fries are house cut and greasy, but their hash browns, at breakfast are killer. Murn's chicken fried steak, gravy, two eggs over easy, and an order of hash browns would be my death row meal.

CHIEF