Apollo 11

Hornstrader

Saw it today in IMAX. This doc is absolutely incredible. I teared up a few times it was so beautiful.

I’m only 30, so I didn’t get to experience this stuff when it happened. The restored footage is just breathtaking. Might be the best thing I’ve ever seen on film, and it’s all real.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/15/2019 at 9:20 PM, Player said:

Saw it last night, and thoroughly enjoyed it. 50 years later that mission is still an amazing accomplishment.

The most amazing thing to me about the Apollo missions:  I've heard astronauts and engineers say that if you were to propose to them, today, going to moon with the computer technology as it existed in the 60's, they'd think you were insane.

And on another topic, it's incredible what can be overlooked when planning such a feat.  Was watching a documentary with the surviving astronauts of the Apollo missions, and they said, regarding the fire that killed Grissom, et al, the capsule had a pure oxygen atmosphere and it never occurred to anyone to ask, "What if there's a spark?"

The most amazing thing to me about the Apollo missions:  I've heard astronauts and engineers say that if you were to propose to them, today, going to moon with the computer technology as it existed in the 60's, they'd think you were insane.
And on another topic, it's incredible what can be overlooked when planning such a feat.  Was watching a documentary with the surviving astronauts of the Apollo missions, and they said, regarding the fire that killed Grissom, et al, the capsule had a pure oxygen atmosphere and it never occurred to anyone to ask, "What if there's a spark?"

It really is amazing.

Just saw it.  Pretty fucking jaw-dropping.  The fact that my wife and I were the only two people in the theater made me want to go next door and slaughter everyone who was watching Isn't it Romantic? instead.

Edited by Beau Vine

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I took my daughter to see some animated movie and had misread the times. The Apollo 11 movie happened to be showing so we saw that. She really enjoyed it and when we got home i pulled out all my Life, Time, and Newsweek magazines that I have had since 1969 and she was fascinated that I had actually lived through history

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Two legends tell the story of the momentous 1969 moon walk. Apollo 11 commander Neil Armstrong and “CBS Evening News” anchor Walter Cronkite -- the man who made history and the man who reported it. Watch "Man on the Moon," hosted by "CBS Evening News" anchor Norah O'Donnell, Tuesday, July 16 at 10/9c on CBS.

Science Channel is airing a 2 hour special "Apollo Live" featuring live interviews with Apollo 11 astronauts (Mike Collins so far, don't know if Buzz will take part) and ground crew.

This was a fantastic idea, but my god the production is horrible. They are bailing out of live interviews into commercials then cut back right as the interview ends and there's tons of dead air where the spots should be running.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...