GT OL Parker Braun

texifornia

https://247sports.com/college/pittsburgh/LongFormArticle/Pat-Narduzzi-ACC-Week-4-Teleconference-North-Carolina-122175079/#122175079_1

PAT NARDUZZI: But that left guard, Parker, you're talking about, it's funny you ask that question because after a game you shake the coach's hand, you try to grab some players and pat them on the head and encourage them and say keep your heads up and all those things. But one of the guys I happened to bump into after the game -- usually you get seven to ten guys -- I was fortunate to bump into him and really grabbed him and talked to him for a few seconds. Great question. I grabbed him and said, hey, you're a heck of a football player. That guy is special. If any line in the country had five of those guys, they would win a ton of football games. He's got a high motor. He understands the game of football. He understands leverage. He's nasty. He's just a nasty football player. He plays through the whistle every down. He's a guy that as a football coach -- you know, when we get to vote for All-Conference guys, that's the guy I'm voting for because I love the way he plays the game. He plays it the right way, and that's a guy we talked to our kids going into the game, you'd better watch out for that guy because he will block you every down. He ain't going to take a play off.

• Like 6

stupid question but why the transfer? change of scenery, just cause, getting into a grad program here? haven't seen any articles stating why exactly. he's a starter at a well known school so it's not like Rice that is never on TV. Don't get me wrong, glad he is coming, we need all the OL help competition, just confused why a starter would leave their school.

"Every coach likes those players who, like trained pigs, will grin and jump right in the slop.”

"Only angry people win football games.”

You just know somewhere up in Longhorn heaven, DKR is smiling at Braun choosing Texas.  Likely would have been a good fit on some of his teams because of his run blocking ability.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, achooloco said:

stupid question but why the transfer? change of scenery, just cause, getting into a grad program here? haven't seen any articles stating why exactly. he's a starter at a well known school so it's not like Rice that is never on TV. Don't get me wrong, glad he is coming, we need all the OL help competition, just confused why a starter would leave their school.

Coaching change at Georgia Tech and he wants to put up film in a more conventional offense in preparation for the NFL.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, achooloco said:

Because he is a BMF that no longer wants to play in a wishbone offense.  He wants to do a little pass blocking and  play for Herb Hand.  He wants a legitimate shot as an NFL guard/center.  

Edited by lemonandaturd
  • Like 3

47 minutes ago, achooloco said:

GT is mainly a triple option run offense. Virtually no passing. 

He wants to get some pass blocking tape. And study under a high end OL mind. 

And if he happens to get on a team that can give him a conference championship or more?  Then its all good. 

10 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Yeah, this guy is going to start day 1.  Braun would have started over Vahe and E Rod last season.  Being all-conference ACC is no joke.

Cosmi- Braun- Shack- Okafor, Kerstetter

C. Jones- Angilau- ?? - Imade- JPU

I'd put Braun at RG to help out Kersetter/Christian Jones. Braun has said in a few interviews he wants to put out some film at center for the NFL evaluators. I assume he'll be Shack's primary back up. 

Cosmi is going to be just fine on an island at LT. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

9 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Yeah, this guy is going to start day 1.  Braun would have started over Vahe and E Rod last season.  Being all-conference ACC is no joke.

Cosmi- Braun- Shack- Okafor, Kerstetter

C. Jones- Angilau- ?? - Imade- JPU

Think it has been said Ghirmai may get reps at Center.  

I could see Angilau beating out Okafor.

Tyler Johnson will eventually be in the 2-deep IMO.

Just now, Elmer_Fudd said:

I think Oak gets first crack at starting. He's an upperclassman, and based on the practice reps, he seems to be Hand's pet project. 

After Hookfin visited Baylor, there was a fairly decent chance we were staring at the real possibility at only signing one offensive linemen. Now we have four really top quality players in this class including a plug in all conference starting guard. 

Pretty remarkable turn of events. Outstanding. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I think Oak gets first crack at starting. He's an upperclassman, and based on the practice reps, he seems to be Hand's pet project. 

I think Okafor will be a pleasant surprise at guard. That is where he is best suited at the P5 level. The last time we saw him was two years ago playing out of position. I expect a much different player,in a good way.

Braun is a good get. He will help provide the kind of interior push that was so obviously missing in 2018. The transition from GT to Texas isn't something to take lightly, but he has the physical and mental tools to overcome it; not to mention, if anyone can be trusted to get him up to speed, it is Herb Hand. Really excited to havehim for the LSU game in particular. LSU has some horses at DT. Having a legitimate NFL prospect at G is going to be immensely helpful.

1 minute ago, XOVERX said:

Braun wants to RS. What's the current RS rule again.

Can Braun play all of LSU and OU, then still RS if Braun and the staff think that's a good idea?

He's explored redshirting. He hasn't said he wants to redshirt.

And you can check into four games and still keep your redshirt.

Edited by texifornia

6 minutes ago, texifornia said:

He's explored redshirting. He hasn't said he wants to redshirt.

And you can check into four games and still keep your redshirt.

Thanks.

You certainly stated the RS issue better than I did, so thanks for that, too.

I can't see Braun RS-ing anyway, but we damn sure don't need to guess if Braun can play.

We just got an almost certain starter on the OL, with NFL potential. Such a big deal.