GT OL Parker Braun

texifornia

SIAP .... Pitt coach on Parker: 

PAT NARDUZZI: But that left guard, Parker, you're talking about, it's funny you ask that question because after a game you shake the coach's hand, you try to grab some players and pat them on the head and encourage them and say keep your heads up and all those things. But one of the guys I happened to bump into after the game -- usually you get seven to ten guys -- I was fortunate to bump into him and really grabbed him and talked to him for a few seconds. Great question. I grabbed him and said, hey, you're a heck of a football player. That guy is special. If any line in the country had five of those guys, they would win a ton of football games. He's got a high motor. He understands the game of football. He understands leverage. He's nasty. He's just a nasty football player. He plays through the whistle every down. He's a guy that as a football coach -- you know, when we get to vote for All-Conference guys, that's the guy I'm voting for because I love the way he plays the game. He plays it the right way, and that's a guy we talked to our kids going into the game, you'd better watch out for that guy because he will block you every down. He ain't going to take a play off.

• Like 4

I may be restating the obvious here, but I would like to see us work hard to get this guy on the field full-time this year, and I expect it to happen. He may be able by redshirting to have a better 2020 than he would have 2019, but that is not the main point IMO. I think he can show enough in 2019 to get himself closer to his second contract a year earlier by playing right away. The team benefits because, I expect, we will have big games against LSU, OU x 2, and at least one big bowl contest. We would be ill-advised to try to shuffle our line specifically for big games. We want as much continuity as reasonably possible. And there will be another GT in 2020. Win now, help Braun look good along the way, and we set ourselves up to get next year's version of Braun. I like the idea of having him at RG to pull toward Cosmi/Oak push.

I'm of the school of thought that the RS talk is silly. Even though he is coming from an option offense, you don't bring in a GT who has shown he can play when you have two open spots at his position just to sit him. He will likely start at guard. I'd imagine he'll get cross training at center as well given his interest in it for NFL purposes and Shack's tendency to miss time.

• 2 months later...

Saw this on spurstalk:

Also from 24/7, they are hearing OL Parker Braun wants to take a redshirt year to work on his pass blocking (Georgia Tech was a triple option team) and focus on his MBA at the business school.

However, the coaches will discuss all of that with Braun during fall camp if it's clear he's one of the best guards on the team and they need him to play immediately.

2 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

He can play in both OU games and then the playoff and national championship games and still keep his redshirt.

It would be an interesting strategy if Texas only played Braun in 4 games during the 2019 season.

Doubt it happens though....

Shirt him all year except for the last 4 games if he's ready to play. If two of those last 4 games are post-season so much the better.

This assumes he's "better" than the guy ahead of him. IL cohesion is a big deal.

2 hours ago, XOVERX said:

Shirt him all year except for the last 4 games if he's ready to play. If two of those last 4 games are post-season so much the better.

This assumes he's "better" than the guy ahead of him. IL cohesion is a big deal.

It doesn't have to be the last 4 games if he can help us.  

He can redshirt and still help in games we need him.  Maybe replace an a player that's injured.

You're right,  use the 4 game rule.   

Edited by Laga4

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...