Game 30: Texas at Texas Tech, 8 PM, ESPN

Machinator

2 minutes ago, Uncle Nate said:

Is Roach still suspended tonight, or do you all think Smart will end the "indefinite" suspension and play him?

It's not a Shaka decision, it's an athletic department decision.

And he's out until the conference tournament at the earliest.

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

It's not a Shaka decision, it's an athletic department decision.

And he's out until the conference tournament at the earliest.

I want to see how the offense looks tonight.  If it's still flowing well, players moving and cutting and hitting open shots, with Ramey hitting shots and EML playing like he did in the last 2 games, I don't mind Roach not coming back - he's such a dumb fuckup and the ball sticks in his hands.  And if he does come back, he better be off the bench.  

I don’t think we will do well tonight. I feel like a beat down is coming. And I know that’s pussy to say, but on the road against a team that is gonna play us hard defensively isn’t a recipe for our success. Beard knows this.

We've only been "beat down" twice this season: a 10 point loss to Michigan State in Las Vegas, and a 10 point loss to Georgia in Athens (puke).

I suspect this will play out like the game in Austin did, where it is close for a time, then Tech pulls ahead and keeps us at arms length for much of the second half. Maybe the final deficit is higher than 6.

10 minutes ago, Machinator said:

We've only been "beat down" twice this season: a 10 point loss to Michigan State in Las Vegas, and a 10 point loss to Georgia in Athens (puke).

I suspect this will play out like the game in Austin did, where it is close for a time, then Tech pulls ahead and keeps us at arms length for much of the second half. Maybe the final deficit is higher than 6.

True but we also were down by a lot to a shitty ou team and a frantic comeback made it close.

I don't think it's "ironic" that Texas plays a SHIT ton of close games, earlier today they were playing the 2017 game vs tech and they showed a stat from the 2017 season that up until that game texas was 3-7 in games decided by 3 points or less in just that season. It seems to be a trend that Shaka is good at keeping games always close regardless who the opponent is but not very good at winning the close games. Not sure of the stat but if someone went to look at Shaka record here with games 3 points of less I bet there are a lot of close games and we lost most.

16 minutes ago, Doyle Hargreaves said:

Tech is playing much better basketball than the game in Austin 5 weeks ago. 

Yeah, but unfortunately for us Tech fans, so is Texas.  

Okie St. took us to OT on our home court.  Granted it was due to them hitting every 3 point brick they threw up in the air, but still.  

7 minutes ago, Uncle Nate said:

Granted it was due to them hitting every 3 point brick they threw up in the air, but still.

That's basically the reason we've been better. If we regress to our usual subpar-to-passable three point shooting, you guys are fine.

3 minutes ago, Horns RD Standard said:

Wouldn't surprise me at all to see an improbably win tonight, followed by a horrible home loss against TCU this weekend. It's kind of the team's DNA under Shaka!

This is true and would not shock me. 

Choking when the stakes are high is part of the Tech sports DNA generally speaking, and I'm a probably more pessimistic than the average Tech fan.  That being said, though, if UT wins tonight, it'll be because the Horns play their asses off, not because Tech is flat or unmotivated.  I say that because the Tech fans, particularly the students, are always out for blood when it's UT. They'll be in to it, and there will be energy in the building. 

That game against OSU last week was a proper trap game, as everyone thought Tech would cruise to an easy win and weren't worried about it.  

11 minutes ago, Dirk X West said:

Choking when the stakes are high is part of the Tech sports DNA generally speaking, and I'm a probably more pessimistic than the average Tech fan.  That being said, though, if UT wins tonight, it'll be because the Horns play their asses off, not because Tech is flat or unmotivated.  I say that because the Tech fans, particularly the students, are always out for blood when it's UT. They'll be in to it, and there will be energy in the building. 

That game against OSU last week was a proper trap game, as everyone thought Tech would cruise to an easy win and weren't worried about it.  

Oh trust us, we know