Best Burger in Texas (and each state)

Both Tacos

On 3/11/2019 at 12:08 PM, Rusty Shackelford said:

I grew up in Burnet and Storms was great in the ‘80s (and I’m sure it was before) but I can’t do it anymore. I’ve tried Burnet and Lampasas 7 or 8 times in the past decade and it’s just sad how far they’ve fallen.

I stopped at the Storm's in Burnet a couple months ago and the fries smelled like old grease. I didn't even eat them. 

If you're passing through Katy around mealtime, check out Willy Burger on the main street, (Highway Boulevard!!??!!), in the downtown area. The original is in Beaumont but I've never been there.

Made to order onion rings. Hee Haw Burger is great.

Is it the best in Texas? Doubt it 'cause I haven't tried them all and there's a bunch in this thread that look fantastic.

Is it worth a stop for any burger lover looking to love a burger in Katy, Texas around mealtime? Sho'nuff.

• 3 months later...
On 3/7/2019 at 5:53 PM, Sbbruin said:

There's all sorts of gourmet burger joints everywhere these days, and plenty of holes in the wall.  But if I want to satisfy a real hankerin', nothing beats...

spacer.png

On 3/8/2019 at 9:41 AM, Sbbruin said:

It is the most glorious tasting chili burger on God's green earth.

Strongly agree. Tommy's Original burger is the greatest fast food burger in existence.  For the uninitiated, it's served with chili, a thick beefsteak tomato, thick slice of cheese, mustard, pickles and onions. May not photograph well but it's so damn good and so damn messy.

Edited by Chopper
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
13 hours ago, RPM said:

The Herd's episode of The Burger Show dropped today.

Need to get out to Herds. Never been to Jacksboro

Knife burger was ok but nothing special. 

Keller's I still love no matter what anyone says. Not the best burger around but the old school way of driving up, ordering, paying cash, and eating a solid burger and fries for little cost is just awesome. Feels like the 80s childhood every time I do it except now I'm in the driver's seat. 

9 hours ago, Junior Miller said:

Keller's I still love no matter what anyone says. Not the best burger around but the old school way of driving up, ordering, paying cash, and eating a solid burger and fries for little cost is just awesome. Feels like the 80s childhood every time I do it except now I'm in the driver's seat. 

Not to mention that their #5 Special with tots and a stubby Coors will set you back about $5 all-in

On 3/21/2019 at 7:43 AM, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

I’ll have to try Sky Rocket but if I have a hankering for a lunch burger near my house in Richardson, I hit up Ye Ole Butcher Shop in Plano.

been a while since i've been to ye ole butcher shop.  fwiw i really like JC's also.  gotta get it rare or medium rare though.

• Like 1

Damn forgot all about that place. When I used to work down the street Ye olde butcher shop was a weekly go to

The last series of posts on this thread have me craving a Country Burger.

* In ‘92, when I was arrested (for the first time), the Plano jail had no food service facilities, so they would just bring in Country Burger for all of us.
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, thestud said:

You get a vacation and you chose the Northeast? Even better, you chose the Northeast in November? I think you’re lost son, Texags is further down the street past the portoshitter and before you get to the used dildo store.

You call D.C. the Northeast? Where do you live, Guadalajara?

Meanwhile, I left Texags-land in the rear view mirror quite a while ago now, and I don't foresee any reason why I would ever go back.

The last series of posts on this thread have me craving a Country Burger.

* In ‘92, when I was arrested (for the first time), the Plano jail had no food service facilities, so they would just bring in Country Burger for all of us.
Had country burger in Murphy the other night. Slammed and went hard as always.

Lankford Grocery in Houston and Chris Madrid’s in San Antonio are my favorites. 

This confuses me. Back in 2010 a buddy at work and I hit up pretty much every burger joint in Houston except for Lankford. I finally went this past summer and was entirely underwhelmed. However, I agree that Chris Madrid’s fucking amazing.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

This confuses me. Back in 2010 a buddy at work and I hit up pretty much every burger joint in Houston except for Lankford. I finally went this past summer and was entirely underwhelmed. However, I agree that Chris Madrid’s fucking amazing.

14 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Same. Very disappointed in Lankford after all of hype. 

I haven’t lived in Houston in almost 10 years, so it may have dropped off in quality since I last went. Sad if that’s the case. 

On 10/31/2019 at 10:55 AM, Walden Ponderer said:

Vacation starting in 24 hours. Any recs for burgers in Virginia or D.C.?

It's been a long time since I lived in DC but if you're on Capitol Hill check out Tune Inn if a dive bar with greasy burgers is up your alley. It's a love it or hate it kinda place. Cheap beer, greasy burgers. Loved it. 

If you're into amazing pancakes, Market Lunch at Eastern Market also on Capitol Hill is one of my favorite food memories on the planet.  Blueberry pancakes there...not sure why they were so great compared to all the others I've tried. 

If for some reason you decide to check out Annapolis, Cantlers Riverside Inn is worth the drive on its own.

Edited by Chopper

2 hours ago, UTPhil2006 said:

Thread needs more pictures still

The Alien burger at the Second Street Brewery at the Railyard is my overall favorite in Santa Fe, NM. Can't say it's the best in the state, though. I think I'd leave the guac off though. The blue corn dusted relleno and crispy onions makes it awesome.

o.jpg

"Green Chile Cheeseburger Smackdown Winner 2014 All natural Angus patty topped with an organic blue corn dusted relleno, chile-jack cheese, smoked bacon, stout queso, Hatch green chile, crispy fried onions, guacamole and chipotle mayo"

The best burger I've ever had is the black label burger at Minetta Tavern in lower Manhattan, NYC. This one is so good it took a couple years for me to enjoy any other burger. But it's a $33 burger, and they use prime meats and a custom blend of dry-aged ribeye, brisket, short rib and skirt steaks from perhaps the country's leading purveyor of meat. The burger is just the meat, carmelized onions and the bun, served with amazing fries.

IMG_8098-37.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Underdog said:

Will be in the city on Tuesday and have been debating about hitting up MT, not sure the wife would be thrilled about a $33 dollar burger, though. 

It's quite a place. If you can grab a reservation I'd go for it. But of course it depends on your individual circumstance and how much you'd pay for dinner elsewhere in NYC. Even with a rez, be prepared for a wait. The place has a great charm and I think most women would enjoy it...plenty of other stuff on the menu. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Underdog said:

Will be in the city on Tuesday and have been debating about hitting up MT, not sure the wife would be thrilled about a $33 dollar burger, though. 

Eh, where else is she gonna find a great meal for less than $33 in NYC?  The fact that it's a burger is kind of irrelevant.  I'd rather have a great $33 burger than an average $50 steak.  Although, if she's anything like my wife, that logic probably won't register.

• Like 1

I know it's a chain, but Silver Diner kinda blew me away. Maybe it was because I was starving by the time we got there (Falls Church, on our way out of DC -- we made the mistake of trying to leave town during rush hour on a Monday). But the burger was choice, and the rest of the menu was pretty damned impressive, too.

On 11/3/2019 at 5:56 AM, Landomatic said:

Eh, where else is she gonna find a great meal for less than $33 in NYC?  The fact that it's a burger is kind of irrelevant.  I'd rather have a great $33 burger than an average $50 steak.  Although, if she's anything like my wife, that logic probably won't register.

I’d rather have a great $33 anything than an average $50 something.