Best Burger in Texas (and each state)

Both Tacos

• 2 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, thestud said:

8221104fd34dd39b4509e270abfa6fb3.jpg

Let’s play a game called guess where I am

Picnic table, bottled drink, handmade patty, grilled bun, mustard. I have a strong guess. Bag of chips would seal the deal. The amount of lettuce is throwing me.

Are you in Jacksboro?

Edited by RPM

6 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Google search on that image says "Chicago Style Hot Dog".

That's what you get for relying on the Googles. That pic is not representative of the veggie/meat ratio of a Herdburger. It's not veg free, but it's not too much. You can get it veg free if you want. You just have to ask. IMHO the Double meat, double cheese, jalapeno (double/double/hot) is the best fucking hamburger I've ever had. Used to eat 3 or 4 a week when I worked down the street and Claude was cooking.

The place is authentic as it gets. The SNL "Hamburger, chips, Pepsi!" skit will immediately pop in your head. They don't sell fries and bottled drinks only, help yourself. You can sit on old DrPepper bottle cases, school desks or picnic tables. Sign your name on the wall after you finish the best burger you've ever had.

This is going to look like a mess but it's my fault for ordering the double meat, double cheese. There's an old dive in Santa Fe NM called Real Burger. It's solid, but imo their buns are too thick. So I tried it on a sopapilla, and ho-leeeee shit it was absolutely amazing. Still thinking about it a week later. I had to take off one of the meat patties so I could pick up the burger. 

OTppNuVJP05F6ul1vtxQfQD7xCB0gVqCy-ep8IXb

1 hour ago, RPM said:

Sopapilla burger? Interesting. 

Yeah I turned my nose up at the idea of it for a couple years but finally figured wth. Now I realize my mistake. Not only was it substantial enough to hold the burger it had all the great qualities I want from a burger bun - thin bread, slightly sweet, doesn't fall apart. 

You can also get amazing things here like sopapillos stuffed with carne advovada and topped with green and/or red chile, but that'd be a different thread. 

Yeah, I've seen doughnuts used as a bun and that did not look appealing. But a sopapilla is something different. I've never put anything other than honey in one, but that light, yeasty bread would work well. Hat tip for the suggestion.

• 2 weeks later...

Storm's in Lampasas is good.  I get the Storm's Special with cheese and sub for a sourdough bun.

Brad's is legit (when it's open).  Double with cheese and get their fried okra.

Bill's Burgers in Burnet (and now in Marble Falls).  Just had one on Saturday.  Still great.  Hand-formed 1/2 lb patties that are still somewhat thin, just really big around. Good bun. Good toppings. Great onion rings.

If you go to Eve's Café in Lampasas on a Thursday or Friday, they have burgers. I've had them a few times. They're really good.  If you can convince yourself not to eat their really good schnitzel, try the burger.

• Like 1

Hilberts on Lamar used to be my go-to place for a fix before they sold to P. T.'s, they relocated around the corner (38th) and eventually closed.  I was sad, until we moved to Mineral Wells, now I find myself going to Herd's whenever I get the itch.

Upgrading is sooo hard!

Storm's in Lampasas is good.  I get the Storm's Special with cheese and sub for a sourdough bun.
Brad's is legit (when it's open).  Double with cheese and get their fried okra.
Bill's Burgers in Burnet (and now in Marble Falls).  Just had one on Saturday.  Still great.  Hand-formed 1/2 lb patties that are still somewhat thin, just really big around. Good bun. Good toppings. Great onion rings.
If you go to Eve's Café in Lampasas on a Thursday or Friday, they have burgers. I've had them a few times. They're really good.  If you can convince yourself not to eat their really good schnitzel, try the burger.
I've been to Storm's in Burnet, Lampasas and Marble Falls. It's great at all 3 locations.

9 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Champ Burger East End Houston. Great neighborhood spot. Nothing fancy but very tasty. It’s a very sloppy burger so order light  on the mustard / mayo if that’s your preference 

you're cheating yourself if you don't get onion rings there

2019-12-09-23-24-51.jpg

Edited by elfenix
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

What the fuck is with Carolina and cole slaw on a burger? The Wendy's here is advertising a "Carolina Classic" -- are they selling anywhere non-Carolina? Because, you know... yuck.

Even my favorite diner that I found here serves slaw on the side, like you're supposed to put it on the burger yourself.

I sweatergawd, it's the "weird regional food thing" that has driven me the battiest of all the weird regional food things I have ever encountered. More so than Ecuador and guinea pig consumption, because that's just weird. THIS is taking a good food and ruining it.

15 hours ago, Deej said:

Could be worse. In New Zealand, even the fast food places put pickled beet slices on their burgers.

While in Vietnam, my old man said the local burger joints in South Vietnam didn't have lettuce for the burgers so the locals used cabbage.  Didn't work out to well.

10 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

Brazilian I'm dating told me corn is pretty common there. What is wrong with the rest of the world?

They also add corn and other interesting things like peas and parmesan cheese to their Brazilian hot dogs, which are delicious.