JUCO OL Willie Tyler

texifornia

9 minutes ago, Butch Had Not said:

Dumb question, is he here this fall or 2020?

Not dumb at all. He's a 2019 recruit who should redshirt and therefore has no chance of playing before 2020 but should really be considered to be part of the 2018 class in terms of roster management. Got it?

Edited by Huckleberry

2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Herb Hand is basically the home run hire at OL coach that we all thought/hoped Joe Wickline would be.

Jake Langi played a big part in Willie Tyler's recruitment.....

"The JUCO offensive tackle prospect from Iowa Western C.C. didn’t receive any interest during the fall, but it wasn’t because of his play on the field.  Tyler was originally set to graduate in December of 2019 and enroll in the 2020 class. After looking over his transcripts with a counselor, Tyler discovered he could earn enough credits to become eligible following a May graduation.

Around that time, Tyler came in contact with Texas support staff member Jake Langi. Langi evaluated Tyler’s film and started a line of communication to him. Tyler was impressed by the way Langi recruited him and used honesty in his pitch.  “We have a great relationship,” he said. “We talk all the time, and it’s not always about just football. He checks up on me and makes sure everything is ok with me in school and classes. It’s more than just a recruiting relationship. I didn’t meet him until this weekend, but I felt like he was a part of my family. He was like an uncle of mine.”

Texas took a slow approach to evaluating Tyler before deciding to bring him in for a post-signing day visit. Though there were times Tyler wasn’t sure it was going to happen, Langi kept the communication going.  “He’s just a genuine person,” Tyler said. “He wants me to make the best decision for me. Of course, he wants me at Texas, but he also knows that there is more than just football. He educated me on the game and how schools work. I was a little nervous when the communication slowed down with Texas, and he was telling me that I was going to end up opening up people’s eyes and would end up in a great program.”

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Texas-Longhorns-Football-Recruiting-Iowa-Western-offensive-tackle-Willie-Tyler-talks-about-his-decision-to-commit-to-Texas-129123099/

Edited by LTtxfan

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Not dumb at all. He's a 2019 recruit who should redshirt and therefore has no chance of playing before 2020 but should really be considered to be part of the 2018 class in terms of roster management. Got it?

Got it thanks.  The timing was throwing me off. 

2 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Tyler is replacing Hudson. Texas is losing 7 OL in the next 2 years and will only have

The 2018 class of RS Jr.'s, Tyler is technically a part of this class now if he RS's this season.

The 2019 class where you had Johnson and 2 projects.

The current 2020 class where you have  3 strong prospects committed and working on 2-3 more.

There is plenty of room to take 5-6 in both the 2020 and 2021 classes.

Good Stuff.... Also lost Mikey Grandy to medical retirement from 2018 Class

2 hours ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

Cosmi is going to be 3 and done. We are so tainted by the end of Mack's time that we can't even compute having an OL room that gets two years of S&C before seeing the field.

Kid was a DL that has one year of OL under his belt.

Maybe after his RS Junior year, but thats definitely no guarantee either.

Love these developmental takes though. Once we start steamrolling overmatched teams, we can get them in-game experience to keep them focused and motivated to improve.

2 hours ago, Atticus said:

Maybe after his RS Junior year, but thats definitely no guarantee either.

Love these developmental takes though. Once we start steamrolling overmatched teams, we can get them in-game experience to keep them focused and motivated to improve.

I think it's a good bet Cosmi leaves after his RS-Jr year. He might not, but Texas is probably preparing for that scenario.

Yancy will probably strip him down to 300 and then build him back up to around 320. You can never have enough big athletic guys like Tyler. I think he can be another Christian Jones. High upside guy who can put himself into a good position with some development. 

There is adequate scholarships available to add 5 or 6 OL in the 2020 recruiting cycle.

In a perfect five-year recruiting cycle (Seniors, Juniors, Sophomores, Redshirt Freshmen, & Freshmen), I’m confident Herman and staff would like to see the following position numbers on scholarship:

OFFENSE

1.       QB – 4 (currently 3 - Ehlinger, Thompson, Johnson)

2.       RB – 5 (currently 4 – Ingram, Young, Johnson, Whittington) Brown is an unknown

3.       WR – 12 (currently 12 – Johnson, Duvernay, Burt, Eagles, Moore, Pouncey, Epps, Woodard, McCoy, Smith, Washington, Lewis)

4.       TE – 4 (currently 5 – Brewer, Leitao, Liebrock, Wiley, Cummins)

5.       OL – 17 (currently 15 – Cosmi, Braun, Shackelford, Okafor, Kerstetter, Angilau, Moore, Imade, Ghirmai, Hookfin, Jones, Johnson, Shepherd, Tyler, Urquidez) Hudson is an unknown

6.       TOTAL Offense Scholarships = 42 (currently 39, not counting Brown & Hudson)

DEFENSE

1.       DL – 14 (currently 12 – Roach, Wilbon, Chisholm, Christmas-Giles, Jones, Coburn, Graham, Ojomo, Bimage, Warren, Sweat, Carson)

2.       LB – 11 (currently 9 – Ossai, Adeoye, McCulloch, Vaughns, Floyd, Johnson, Mpagi, Gbenda, Tillman) Boyd is an unknown

3.       DB -16 (currently 16 – Cook, Sterns, Jones, Green, Thompson, Foster, Boyce, Brown, Jamison, Overshown, Adimora, Watson, Caldwell, Estell, Owens, Duvernay)

4.       TOTAL Defense Scholarships = 41 (currently 37, not counting Boyd)

SPECIAL

1.       K – 1 (currently 1 – Dicker)

2.       P – 1 (currently 1 – Bujcevskii)

3.       TOTAL Special Teams Scholarships = 2 (currently 2)

T

TOTAL CURRENT SCHOLARSHIPS = 78 (not including Hudson, Brown or Boyd

So, by the numbers, the current roster is short a scholarship QB, RB, 2 OL, 2 DL, & 2 LBs.  And there is one to many TEs.

The OL is still two short even with the addition of Braun and Tyler.  Braun and Shackelford are gone next year, so that is four spots open for OL in the 2020 recruiting cycle.  It is not difficult to see one or more OL underclassmen on the current roster moving on due to attrition - medical, grades, graduation, etc.  I do not see Herman having any problem taking 5 or 6 OL in 2020, even with the addition of Tyler whom may very well be a "project."

In addition,  anyone notice the excellent Preferred Walk-on program Herman has started in order to address some holes like LB?

Following are Preferred Walk-ons I’m aware of:

1.       QB – 1 (Sam Sexton)

2.       RB – 1 (Jarrett Smith)

3.       WR – 1 (Parker Alford)

4.       TE – (Austin Hill, Nathan Hatter)

5.       OL – (Chad Wolf)

6.       DL – none

7.       LB – 4 (Luke Brockermeyer, Parker Bayouth, Jett Bush, Jake Ehlinger)

8.       DB – 3 (Doak Wilson, Christian Tschauner, Myles Mass)

9.       LS – 1 (Justin Mader)

If anyone knows of any PWO I did not include please add them on this thread.  Thanks.

• Like 8

14 hours ago, Speedway said:

There is adequate scholarships available to add 5 or 6 OL in the 2020 recruiting cycle.

In a perfect five-year recruiting cycle (Seniors, Juniors, Sophomores, Redshirt Freshmen, & Freshmen), I’m confident Herman and staff would like to see the following position numbers on scholarship:

OFFENSE

2.       RB – 5 (currently 4 – Ingram, Young, Johnson, Whittington) Brown is an unknown

3.       WR – 12 (currently 12 – Johnson, Duvernay, Burt, Eagles, Moore, Pouncey, Epps, Woodard, McCoy, Smith, Washington, Lewis)

5.       OL – 17 (currently 15 – Cosmi, Braun, Shackelford, Okafor, Kerstetter, Angilau, Moore, Imade, Ghirmai, Hookfin, Jones, Johnson, Shepherd, Tyler, Urquidez) Hudson is an unknown

6.       TOTAL Offense Scholarships = 42 (currently 39, not counting Brown & Hudson)

DEFENSE

1.       DL – 14 (currently 12 – Roach, Wilbon, Chisholm, Christmas-Giles, Jones, Coburn, Graham, Ojomo, Bimage, Warren, Sweat, Carson)

2.       LB – 11 (currently 9 – Ossai, Adeoye, McCulloch, Vaughns, Floyd, Johnson, Mpagi, Gbenda, Tillman) Boyd is an unknown

3.       DB -16 (currently 16 – Cook, Sterns, Jones, Green, Thompson, Foster, Boyce, Brown, Jamison, Overshown, Adimora, Watson, Caldwell, Estell, Owens, Duvernay)

SPECIAL

T

So, by the numbers, the current roster is short a scholarship QB, RB, 2 OL, 2 DL, & 2 LBs.  And there is one to many TEs.

The OL is still two short even with the addition of Braun and Tyler.  Braun and Shackelford are gone next year, so that is four spots open for OL in the 2020 recruiting cycle.  It is not difficult to see one or more OL underclassmen on the current roster moving on due to attrition - medical, grades, graduation, etc.  I do not see Herman having any problem taking 5 or 6 OL in 2020, even with the addition of Tyler whom may very well be a "project."

In addition,  anyone notice the excellent Preferred Walk-on program Herman has started in order to address some holes like LB?

6.       DL – none

If anyone knows of any PWO I did not include please add them on this thread.  Thanks.

The scholarship LBs better stay on their toes. We've got a lot of house money there.

15 hours ago, Speedway said:

OFFENSE

DEFENSE

SPECIAL

T

6.       DL – none

This thread will help.....

The addition of the project OL Willie Tyler means our long-term depth at OL is becoming entrenched.

In two or three years, Tyler may well become an OL anchor on a NC caliber Texas squad.

JUCOs have been around forever, and, every now and then, Texas has taken a JUCO.

But under Herman, JUCO evaluation has become a routine, even integral, part of recruiting in a way that I have never before seen Texas coaches utilize (and my observations go back to the 60s).

We've seen dead and dormant programs, like KSU, rise phoenix-like from the ashes under coaches who recruit JUCOs, but Texas has largely eschewed JUCOs.

No more.

Behold the jaggernaut being constructed in the hills of Travis County.

I am more convinced than ever that I will get to witness another NC out of Texas before my days expire and I strongly suspect that young Mr. Willie Tyler will be playing on that NC team.

5 hours ago, XOVERX said:

The addition of the project OL Willie Tyler means our long-term depth at OL is becoming entrenched.

In two or three years, Tyler may well become an OL anchor on a NC caliber Texas squad.

JUCOs have been around forever, and, every now and then, Texas has taken a JUCO.

But under Herman, JUCO evaluation has become a routine, even integral, part of recruiting in a way that I have never before seen Texas coaches utilize (and my observations go back to the 60s).

We've seen dead and dormant programs, like KSU, rise phoenix-like from the ashes under coaches who recruit JUCOs, but Texas has largely eschewed JUCOs.

No more.

Behold the jaggernaut being constructed in the hills of Travis County.

I am more convinced than ever that I will get to witness another NC out of Texas before my days expire and I strongly suspect that young Mr. Willie Tyler will be playing on that NC team.

holy shit, he's alive!