El Paso recs

Zombie

• 2 years later...

L&J Cafe -- local institution, El Paso style mexican food, great stuff.  Every local of note has his picture on the wall.

H&H Car wash has sadly closed its diner.  It was a treasure.

Hit a Chico's Tacos, and spend $10 on three orders of....whatever you want.  But one of those orders should be the classic crispy rolled tacos.

And dammit, there's one more place just north of downtown that I can't remember....

I kinda dig El Paso.  Great climate, nice people, totally bilingual culture.  Shit, the courthouse restaurant is a fantastic mexican restaurant.

• Like 3

L&J Cafe -- local institution, El Paso style mexican food, great stuff.  Every local of note has his picture on the wall.
Hit a Chico's Tacos, and spend $10 on three orders of....whatever you want.  But one of those orders should be the classic crispy rolled tacos.

And dammit, there's one more place just north of downtown that I can't remember....
I kinda dig El Paso.  Great climate, nice people, totally bilingual culture.  Shit, the courthouse restaurant is a fantastic mexican restaurant.

I would add J&Js on Doniphan (west side) for Gorditas. Their salsa can melt paint it’s that hot.

Read about H&H. Best greasy hamburger in town. Sad.

Julio's is good as well, Taco Tote is legit fast food tacos, go inside and sit. Chico's is okay, Frisco's is better , get the Frisco fingers. I will say barbacoa around here is tremendous,  it's not just a weekend thing, it's around the clock. Check out Vista Market if you want some groceries,  fresh tortillas,  lots of great salsa options and of course, barbacoa. 

On 9/24/2021 at 9:04 AM, Brisketexan said:

He asked for upscale restaurants.

1.  Cafe Central - downtown, as mentioned above, really good.  Classic EP fine dining.  

2.  Anson11 - downtown, good vibe and food and fits an EP definition of upscale

3.  Holy Grail - westside, newer place with very good wine selection and good food. Not fancy but leans towards upscale

4.  Corralitos - upper valley, one of my favorite restaurants in EP.  Not necessarily upscale, but sneaky great Mexican food.  Highly recommend.

5.  Entrecôte - westside - french bistro type place. 

6.  1700 in Hotel Paso del Norte - new place and haven't been there yet, but heard good things.  Owned by same folks as Anson11.

L&J is definitely worth a stop and the gorditas at JJ's are very good as well.  Lucy's on Mesa north of UTEP has great machaca.  Chico's Tacos is the most overrated shithole in El Paso, but I digress.  

11 minutes ago, field said:

He asked for upscale restaurants.

1.  Cafe Central - downtown, as mentioned above, really good.  Classic EP fine dining.  

2.  Anson11 - downtown, good vibe and food and fits an EP definition of upscale

3.  Holy Grail - westside, newer place with very good wine selection and good food. Not fancy but leans towards upscale

4.  Corralitos - upper valley, one of my favorite restaurants in EP.  Not necessarily upscale, but sneaky great Mexican food.  Highly recommend.

5.  Entrecôte - westside - french bistro type place. 

6.  1700 in Hotel Paso del Norte - new place and haven't been there yet, but heard good things.  Owned by same folks as Anson11.

L&J is definitely worth a stop and the gorditas at JJ's are very good as well.  Lucy's on Mesa north of UTEP has great machaca.  Chico's Tacos is the most overrated shithole in El Paso, but I digress.  

What you didn't consider is the possibility that I consider shitholes upscale.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 9/27/2021 at 1:51 PM, Ag with kids said:

Drive up towards Las Cruces and turn off to go to Chope's in La Mesa.

Damn...I miss that place.

Not yet reopened (as of last week anyway).

2nd the Corralito's rec, they have like 4 locations (?) now too.

Garufa on the west side is a good steakhouse, and predates Corralito's as another Juarez-transplant restaurant in El Paso.

L&J is probably my favorite Mexican food place in EP.

Edited by GringoSalado

Rep to all of you when I get the chance. Flights got canceled last minute so our dinner never happened. We had booked at Anson.

Did smash some Corralitos for breakfast and it's rated.

Looking forward to getting back, weather was incredible.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk