What kinda spider is this?

Slacks

It's a fucking wolf spider.  You can see their eye's shine/reflect at night when you shine a light at them.  They don't build webs but hunt their prey rather.  Aptly named spiders.... You can find them with hundreds of babies on their back. I feel like we go through this same shit a couple of times every year. 

Just now, Lerka Lerka said:

It's a fucking wolf spider.  You can see their eye's shine/reflect at night when you shine a light at them.  They don't build webs but hunt their prey rather.  Aptly named spiders.... You can find them with hundreds of babies on their back. I feel like we go through this same shit a couple of times every year. 

I always called them all wolf spiders but I was wrong. Some dweeb entomologist I know told me I was stupid. Honestly, I still call them all wolf spiders regardless. You can tell bc the one part is bigger than the ass.

ab67abf169e6e1dac1e15d07ba5acc3f.jpg

27 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

The cephalothorax is right for Wolf Spider, but the abdomen is larger and rounder than for most Wolf Spider species. Not a grass spider, though, because that's even narrower in the abdomen.

I found the fucking dweeb.

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Walden Ponderer said:

The cephalothorax is right for Wolf Spider, but the abdomen is larger and rounder than for most Wolf Spider species. Not a grass spider, though, because that's even narrower in the abdomen.

Maybe he's just hungry?

Edited by ulukinatme

4 hours ago, HOOKEM4 said:

I always called them all wolf spiders but I was wrong. Some dweeb entomologist I know told me I was stupid. Honestly, I still call them all wolf spiders regardless. You can tell bc the one part is bigger than the ass.

ab67abf169e6e1dac1e15d07ba5acc3f.jpg

Wrong.  Wolf Spiders have eight legs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Can I be the PETA fag that says don't kill spiders. Spiders hunt and kill all of the more annoying bugs.

I once woke up with a wolf spider crawling on my shirtless torso when I was about 8. That was pretty annoying. Ever since that every single spider gets the torch except garden spiders. 

7 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

I once woke up with a wolf spider crawling on my shirtless torso when I was about 8. That was pretty annoying. Ever since that every single spider gets the torch except garden spiders. 

I gave your mom the torch last night. 

Web spiders are fine. I know where they will be.  Roaming spiders, adios mofos. Even wolf spiders. 

Caveat:  those big banana spiders we used to have in Houston would get forcibly relocated via long stick if they built a web I had any chance of walking into. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

10 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Caveat:  those big banana spiders we used to have in Houston would get forcibly relocated via long stick if they built a web I had any chance of walking into. 

Same with orb weavers, though those fuckers will just rebuild the next day right in your fucking way

Can I be the PETA fag that says don't kill spiders. Spiders hunt and kill all of the more annoying bugs.
Fuck PETA but I agree with this. However, since the wife and kids hate the things I employ the popular inside-kill outside-leave alone strategy.

On 3/5/2019 at 6:47 PM, ztejas said:

3f2.jpeg

I'll be the even faggier PETA fag and say leave snakes alone, they do the same thing.  Well, rattlesnakes... maybe.  Coral snakes, yes.  Just give 'em room to leave and you'll never see it again.

On 3/8/2019 at 8:18 AM, Steamboat1874 said:

That would be a Dead Spider if it got anywhere near me.

You sound like my FIL.  He'll go out of his way to kill a rat snake and then complain about rat droppings in his garage.  Vast majority of spiders and snakes are beneficial unless you just prefer less desirable pests in your house and property.  You could get bit by a wolf spider and a mosquito and you wouldn't know which bite was which.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
On 3/6/2019 at 1:28 PM, HiggyBaby said:

Hey you guys want to see something awesome. Walk on to your lawn or nearby field at night and shine your flashlight at the grass. Good times.

7339d0bbcc07642140660131fb56361c.jpg

Thousands of little green eyes staring back at you. It's pretty cool.

On 3/8/2019 at 3:58 AM, Whatever said:
On 3/5/2019 at 4:47 PM, ztejas said:

Fuck PETA but I agree with this. However, since the wife and kids hate the things I employ the popular inside-kill outside-leave alone strategy.

My wife’s cousin invented, developed, got funding and is now selling this.

In concept it’s a humane way of getting rid of unwanted pests in the house.

In reality, a magazine or slipper is usually within arms reach, and I can guarantee it’ll be gone for good. 

• Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, Superhero said:

In reality, a magazine or slipper is usually within arms reach, and I can guarantee it’ll be gone for good. 

Honestly that is pretty cool. I really don't mess with spiders in my house. They normally stay in their corner and take care of unwanted bugs. I'm cool with that. Hell same thing with snakes on my lot. As long as they aren't rattle snakes or corral. We see tarantulas pretty regularly in they yard. Just gotta keep my dog away from them.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CoachTex said:

Resized_20220331_132230.jpeg.5ffe042f30d4de8b9b0f9bd25e66865b.jpeg

On my son's backpack. Any ideas

Not an expert, but I think that's part of the widow family (i.e. extremely dangerous). They can have all sorts of different markings other than the classic hourglass.

P.s. are you still alive?

3 hours ago, Superhero said:

I hate when massive spiders get in my toaster oven. 

6 hours ago, Wiler77 said:

Not an expert, but I think that's part of the widow family (i.e. extremely dangerous). They can have all sorts of different markings other than the classic hourglass.

P.s. are you still alive?

I'm fine. It was on my son's backpack.  I think he is okay but acting a little weird. Starting to climb walls and shot webs from his wrist. Should I take him to see the doctor or Naaa?

• Haha 2

On 3/10/2019 at 12:34 PM, NateHitch said:

You could get bit by a wolf spider and a mosquito and you wouldn't know which bite was which.

I used to believe this, however, I was woken up one fine morning at Lake Buchanan by an intense pain on the top of my right foot. I kicked my leg out from under the covers and a 3-4in wolf spider came out with my foot and landed on the floor. The bastard ran away as I hobbled after it, and got away. 

You definitely wouldn’t confuse it with a mosquito bite. This was more like a wasp sting to me. I felt a little bit of movement on my foot, then the pain of the bite. Fucker.