Work Boots

4 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Thorogood for old school laceups.  Cheaper than Redwing and not giving up much.

If I could find them in all black I would give them a try.  I'm pretty much rounded steel toe 6" lace-ups, black on black, for 20 years now.  Most good boots I find either have a moc toe, some kind of stripe running around the sole, contrasting seam threads, etc.  Just not my thing.

4 hours ago, deadshank said:

Soles fall off. Bad glue.  Get your epoxy out when it happens. 

These have held up well so far. It's time to replace them though. 6 months max if you are going to work them hard. I think it was twisted x that was previous to this one and it blew out the seams at the welt in a couple of months. Wolverine was ok. Same deal, eventually it gets a blow out somewhere or you've ground down the soles. I agree that there is extraneous bs inlays in the sole on the Muddog. Who gives a damn about extra colors on a work boot sole? Don't create weak points for appearances sake.

I'm a Red Wing guy too but don't recall the make and model. I just know that I stepped in some sort of solvent at some point and it ate into the sole and I was tracking black spots around forever. Other than that no issues and the fit and durability are great.

7 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Thorogood for old school laceups.  Cheaper than Redwing and not giving up much.

This is my recommendation as well, I prefer them over the Red Wing boots. They have a much better arch support and last just as long. I buy the regular toe not steel toe.

Edited by RMac5

I’d guess over 95% if our field crews wear thorogood. They are in it everyday so I would take that as good pub.  I’ve had good luck with Justin.  Roper toe for years and squared now that I don’t have to work in Mexico anymore.  My experience with redwing was hard to break in and good,  but too much $$ for what you get. Good but not that good. 

5 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I take my Red Wings in every 6 months or so for a free polish & new laces.  Do other brands offer that?

You polish redwings?  Your supposed to oil them.  Sam's Safety Equipment on Hempstead Hwy still has a boot oiling stand for just that purpose. 

6 minutes ago, Upgrayedd said:

They do that gratis? Hmmmmm

Yep.  Is it worth paying probably 80% more than some of the other boots on this thread?  I can't say for sure.  I mean, I can buy laces and oil, but the fact is their customer service is top notch and their boots last forever.

I might try some of those Thorogoods, though, especially since it seems Red Wing has discontinued my preferred boot (2223).

1 hour ago, deadshank said:

You polish redwings?  Your supposed to oil them.  Sam's Safety Equipment on Hempstead Hwy still has a boot oiling stand for just that purpose. 

Bro, do you even Mink Oil?  The salt in the liquid fertilizer I used to work with is MURDER on leather.  They guys in Dalhart would wash their boots real good, let them dry all the way, warm them a bit in the oven, then rub this stuff on them:

mink-1.jpg

(Make sure you get all the seams good.)  

It's the consistency of hard butter, but the warmth of the leather makes it melt...like butter.  

12 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Bro, do you even Mink Oil?  The salt in the liquid fertilizer I used to work with is MURDER on leather.  They guys in Dalhart would wash their boots real good, let them dry all the way, warm them a bit in the oven, then rub this stuff on them:

mink-1.jpg

It's the consistency of hard butter, but the warmth of the leather makes it melt...like butter.  

Yes.  I do.  Just did 2 pair of snake boots after a long deer season.    The leather was sucking down the mink oil.   

52 minutes ago, Parliament said:

mink-1.jpg

that stuffs great for frying potatoes

• Like 2

On 3/6/2019 at 6:16 AM, deadshank said:

Red Wing Irish Setter steel toe (western or lace up)

Twisted X are verruh comfy (my daily boots)

Ariat

I'll vouch for Twisted X.   I've had a pair for five years that I've used for daily wear and they are champs and they are my go to if I don't have to "dress up" for the day.   

6 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

how long are you keeping your work boots ? I don't keep mine much longer than a year or so. 

About a decade. I "work" barefoot inside. Boots are for rare muck-stomping now, but were daily wear when I was on two wheels. Figured the Redwings would do a magnificent job preserving my foot if it ever got severed from my leg.

Honest question, If you our are having to replace them every year, do they belong in this conversation? Depends on the work?  I love my Red Wings, but they aren’t daily wear for me. I feel like they hold up well, and I plan to use their refurbishment options. 

Edited by Chico_SA

Finally checked my models. The really comfortable ones are Danner Pronghorn and the tougher, less comfortable ones are Danner Trakwelt. I respectfully disagree with the guys about replacing boots every year. I go through soles about once a year and usually some other patching/maintenance, but man, I shoot for several years per pair. 

Construction, I get about 2 years out of a pair of redwings, then they get retired to the paint booth. I hardly ever oil, will change out broken laces when they break a second time. Solid boot imo.

Will add that I have tried other boots, looking for a cheaper option and they held up for a year, bout what I paid for.

10 hours ago, Chico_SA said:

Honest question, If you our are having to replace them every year, do they belong in this conversation? Depends on the work?  I love my Red Wings, but they aren’t daily wear for me. I feel like they hold up well, and I plan to use their refurbishment options. 

If you aren't having to replace them every year then you probably aren't doing enough work in them to really be able to comment on which ones are good.

• Like 1

On 3/8/2019 at 4:42 PM, tx 3 putt said:

how long are you keeping your work boots ? I don't keep mine much longer than a year or so. 

anyone else use super soles ? that is  must 

I wear mine until they fall apart.  The last 2 pair I've bought were Durango Rebels. Pretty inexpensive at around $129 and from my experience durable as hell.  Continual exposure to concrete, drilling mud, grease and oil. Also, I never oil or condition the uppers and I still get 2+ years out of them.  They have some type of rubber composite soles that still look damn near new when I have to retire them. Also very comfortable from the get go.

On 3/8/2019 at 11:22 PM, RDCanecutter said:

About a decade. I "work" barefoot inside. Boots are for rare muck-stomping now, but were daily wear when I was on two wheels. Figured the Redwings would do a magnificent job preserving my foot if it ever got severed from my leg.

...and then the damned doctors cut them off prior to surgery anyway. 

• Like 1

On 3/9/2019 at 9:03 AM, Parliament said:

My Redwings (don't remember the model) didn't have replaceable soles.  Can you replace the soles in a Pronghorn?

You're completely right.  I was thinking of my more generic boots.  I'm not sure if you can or not.  I try to be pretty careful with my Pronghorns, so hopefully this will never be an issue.  I save my other ones for work around barbed wire, chemicals, corn stalks, and cow manure.

Last pair of my shit kickers were Double H, which I had for 5 years until they fell apart. I wear them 2-3 days a week. 6 months ago, I went with Ariat, and I fucking hate them. I keep waiting for them to break in, but after 6 months, my right foot still hurts after a full day of wear. Eventually I will give up and get something else, but it just sucks pissing away money.  They do look great though, for what its worth.