Mindhunter

Goo Punch

• 4 months later...

Starts Aug 16.

https://ew.com/tv/2019/07/26/everything-we-know-mindhunter-season-2/

Nearly two years after Mindhunter first made its debut on Netflix, the dark, moody drama is set to return for a second season on Aug. 16.

Set in 1977, the first season followed FBI Agents Holden Ford and Bill Tench, who team up with psychology professor Dr. Wendy Carr to create a Behavioral Science Unit within the Bureau that seeks to understand what was, at the time, a mysterious phenomenon — serial killers.

By the end of season 1, the team’s future hung in the balance and the threat of Dennis Rader — the man who would come to be known as the BTK killer — loomed larger than ever.

Netflix has understandably kept plot details mostly under wraps, but there’s still plenty we do know. Below, we’ve rounded up everything we know so far about the series’ new season.

Edited by Augustus
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished. What a great season. We got more background story on Tench, we got small interspersed bits of BTK, and just a really good and focused story. Good shit.

As you all noted, the casting and acting for Son of Sam and Manson was spot on.

It’s crazy looking back how many famous people got involved with those murders too. Reagan, Ali, Sinatra, etc.

Bring on a S3.

It was good overall, but there was some stuff I didn't like. 

- I really didn't like Tench's kid turning into baby Dexter.  What are the odds that a serial killer investigator's kid ends up participating in a weird child murder?  It seemed overly manufactured by the writers to me.  And everything on the home front was kind of boring, IMO. 

- what happened with Ford's panic attacks?  It was the dramatic opening to the season, then he freaks at a party, and then the writers forgot all about it aside from a wisecrack from Tench.  It didn't become an issue during an interrogation or anything else. 

- what happened to the office expansion and Dr. Carr?   Wasn't she supposed to be getting the new office going and training new agents while the others were in Atlanta?  Instead her story just trailed off when she dumped her girlfriend.   They should have at least hired Agent Barney at the end.   I assume he'll be there next season, but why not add some stuff on this and do a full 10 episodes? 

- relatedly, why weren't they consulting with Dr. Carr on the Atlanta profile?  Tench and Ford were batting around ideas about whether the guy was motivated by sex or success but she's the actual expert.  Kind of weird they didn't even loop her in on a conference call and are drawing their own psychological conclusions. 

- Not enough interviews.  The best parts of the season were Berkowitz, Manson, and Tex.   Wish there was more of that. 

I originally thought they did Dr. Carr wrong with the relationship storyline, kind of seemed like a waste, but then remembered the interviews she did, and they were crap compared to Holden/Tench. So there was a little meat on the bone, but yeah I would have liked to see more help from her on the Atlanta case. It was fun watching Smith shit the bed on the interviews

11 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

my biggest criticism of both seasons: the relationship crap. it was Holden in S1, and now it's Dr.Carr in S2. take away the contentious relationship aspect and each season is about perfect. 

Gotta include something to make the girlfriend/wife watch.

On 8/18/2019 at 10:15 PM, Mojo Hand said:

It was good overall, but there was some stuff I didn't like. 

Hide contents

- I really didn't like Tench's kid turning into baby Dexter.  What are the odds that a serial killer investigator's kid ends up participating in a weird child murder?  It seemed overly manufactured by the writers to me.  And everything on the home front was kind of boring, IMO. 

- what happened with Ford's panic attacks?  It was the dramatic opening to the season, then he freaks at a party, and then the writers forgot all about it aside from a wisecrack from Tench.  It didn't become an issue during an interrogation or anything else. 

- what happened to the office expansion and Dr. Carr?   Wasn't she supposed to be getting the new office going and training new agents while the others were in Atlanta?  Instead her story just trailed off when she dumped her girlfriend.   They should have at least hired Agent Barney at the end.   I assume he'll be there next season, but why not add some stuff on this and do a full 10 episodes? 

- relatedly, why weren't they consulting with Dr. Carr on the Atlanta profile?  Tench and Ford were batting around ideas about whether the guy was motivated by sex or success but she's the actual expert.  Kind of weird they didn't even loop her in on a conference call and are drawing their own psychological conclusions. 

- Not enough interviews.  The best parts of the season were Berkowitz, Manson, and Tex.   Wish there was more of that. 

Yeah, it seems like they got too wrapped up in Atlanta and the rest of the arcs suffered a little bit, although I don't mind the Tench stuff.

I was a little leery of Manson making an appearance, both because it seemed a little too soon and because of who that dickhead was, but I think it was executed perfectly, especially when contrasted with Tex. 

With the BTK not being caught until 2005, what will Season 3 focus on? Atlanta Child Murders went from 1978-1981, so would think they would continue chronologically 

Ted Bundy was captured in 1978 but they could interview him. FBI profiled him. 

Dahmer?

FBI helped catch Butcher Baker with profile in Alaska in early 80s

John Joubert? 

2 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

With the BTK not being caught until 2005, what will Season 3 focus on? Atlanta Child Murders went from 1978-1981, so would think they would continue chronologically 

Ted Bundy was captured in 1978 but they could interview him. FBI profiled him. 

Dahmer?

FBI helped catch Butcher Baker with profile in Alaska in early 80s

John Joubert? 

Richard Ramirez makes a lot of sense based on the time line 

• Like 1

Anyone catch young Ned Stark as "Don't call me Elmer" Wayne Henley?  That interview and the Dean Corll murders deserved so much more time.

The actress that played Camille Bell should get an Emmy nod.  The speech in the church after the Mayor was shouted down by community members is the high point of the season.

Ramirez timeline works but I don’t know if the FBI was involved. 

Jeffrey Dahmer, Robert Hansen, and John Joubert were all killing in the early 80s and the FBI profiled all of them. I think Dahmer might be an issue unless they fast forward a little since they didn’t catch him until 1991