Mindhunter

Goo Punch

Skimming the thread it looks like I’m the only one who likes Wendy’s character. I think she’s really interesting.

I was a kid when the Atlanta child murders happened. It was on tv every night and scary as shit. Granted I was poor and white and 75 miles alway and not poor and black and in the city. But it was scary.

• 2 months later...

I really liked the first season - showing the development of the behavioral science unit.  Season two's coverage of the Atlanta killer was good as well, but the show had already started off covering fictional drama that wasn't necessary to the story (Tench's wife/son; lesbian shrink, etc.). I'm afraid there would be much more of the later in up coming seasons.  I would have watched, but the show was taking a turn that made the story worse, not better IMHO.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

I really liked the first season - showing the development of the behavioral science unit.  Season two's coverage of the Atlanta killer was good as well, but the show had already started off covering fictional drama that wasn't necessary to the story (Tench's wife/son; lesbian shrink, etc.). I'm afraid there would be much more of the later in up coming seasons.  I would have watched, but the show was taking a turn that made the story worse, not better IMHO.

Yeah how terrible would it be if season 3 stopped with all the serial killer interviews and just focused on Anna Torv scissoring her way through Washington D.C. 

• Like 3

On 1/18/2020 at 9:58 AM, Hank Scorpio said:

Yeah how terrible would it be if season 3 stopped with all the serial killer interviews and just focused on Anna Torv scissoring her way through Washington D.C. 

I don't want to see her tryst with Hillary.

• 9 months later...

Damn.

David Fincher Confirms the ‘Very Expensive’ Mindhunter Is Done for Now

Ever since the second season of Netflix’s period FBI-agents-and-serial-killers drama Mindhunter was released 14 months ago, fans have been wondering about the possibility of one more round. Hopes flagged when the show’s leads, Jonathan Groff, Holt McCallany, and Anna Torv, were released from their contracts in January and the show was put on “indefinite hold.” Now, David Fincher, Mindhunter’s executive producer, most frequent director, and de facto showrunner, has seemed to confirmed that the Pittsburgh-shot series is indeed two-and-done. “We lived there for almost three years,” he said during an interview about his new film Mank. “Not year in and year out, but … probably six or seven months a year … Mindhunter was a lot for me.”

Fincher says that at the start of the second season, he “ended up looking at what was written and deciding I didn’t like any of it, so we tossed it and started over.” He promoted Courtenay Miles, who had been working on the series as an assistant director, to co-showrun; still, he said, “It’s a 90-hour workweek. It absorbs everything in your life. When I got done, I was pretty exhausted, and I said, ‘I don’t know if I have it in me right now to break season three.’” Netflix didn’t argue; CEO Ted Sarandos and Cindy Holland, at the time the company’s VP for original content, just asked Fincher if there was something else he wanted to work on (thus Mank).

“Listen, for the viewership that it had, it was a very expensive show,” Fincher said. “We talked about, ‘Finish Mank and then see how you feel,’ but I honestly don’t think we’re going to be able to do it for less than I did season two. And on some level, you have to be realistic — dollars have to equal eyeballs.” Apparently, that math does not work in Mindhunter’s favor, although Netflix is willing to keep the door a tiny crack open. Confirming that a third season was not in the offing, a spokesperson added, “Maybe in five years.”

https://www.vulture.com/2020/10/mindhunter-season-three-not-happening.html

On 10/23/2020 at 1:03 PM, LonghornSean said:

Damn.

David Fincher Confirms the ‘Very Expensive’ Mindhunter Is Done for Now

Ever since the second season of Netflix’s period FBI-agents-and-serial-killers drama Mindhunter was released 14 months ago, fans have been wondering about the possibility of one more round. Hopes flagged when the show’s leads, Jonathan Groff, Holt McCallany, and Anna Torv, were released from their contracts in January and the show was put on “indefinite hold.” Now, David Fincher, Mindhunter’s executive producer, most frequent director, and de facto showrunner, has seemed to confirmed that the Pittsburgh-shot series is indeed two-and-done. “We lived there for almost three years,” he said during an interview about his new film Mank. “Not year in and year out, but … probably six or seven months a year … Mindhunter was a lot for me.”

Fincher says that at the start of the second season, he “ended up looking at what was written and deciding I didn’t like any of it, so we tossed it and started over.” He promoted Courtenay Miles, who had been working on the series as an assistant director, to co-showrun; still, he said, “It’s a 90-hour workweek. It absorbs everything in your life. When I got done, I was pretty exhausted, and I said, ‘I don’t know if I have it in me right now to break season three.’” Netflix didn’t argue; CEO Ted Sarandos and Cindy Holland, at the time the company’s VP for original content, just asked Fincher if there was something else he wanted to work on (thus Mank).

“Listen, for the viewership that it had, it was a very expensive show,” Fincher said. “We talked about, ‘Finish Mank and then see how you feel,’ but I honestly don’t think we’re going to be able to do it for less than I did season two. And on some level, you have to be realistic — dollars have to equal eyeballs.” Apparently, that math does not work in Mindhunter’s favor, although Netflix is willing to keep the door a tiny crack open. Confirming that a third season was not in the offing, a spokesperson added, “Maybe in five years.”

https://www.vulture.com/2020/10/mindhunter-season-three-not-happening.html

Fincher seems like the kind of guy who would get bored and decide to come back and do season 3 like five years from now.... or maybe make a feature film version instead...

I'm holding out hope one of those two things happens. :) 

Edited by oSuJeff97
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...

I binged through this the last couple of weeks and really enjoyed it though I could probably go without ever seeing tench's wife again.  The never happy overly critical wife trope needs to go. You can have tension and get the same outcome without the constant miserable wife.  Like she is never happy when he gets home. It's anger that he has to leave. 

What makes this so expensive? Are the cars all sourced or is it all effects? Honestly don't know if they did some tricks with the vehicles.

• 2 months later...

Oh man when I saw this bumped I was hoping for good news on season 3.

I still think (hope) Fincher will come back to it at some point....Especially now that all the streaming services are doing movies.

Would be awesome to at least get like standalone Netflix movie that closes out the series at some point.  The way they were methodically bringing in BTK in the cold opens deserves a payoff.

• 2 years later...

I can understand why a fantastic show like Rome on HBO got canceled when it did, given it was the most expensive series ever produced at that point in time.

How does a show like Mindhunter become "too expensive?"  Is it just a relative term?  You need some old cars and old wardrobe, of course, but I really don't recall too many cutting-edge special effects in this show.

50 minutes ago, Augustus said:

I can understand why a fantastic show like Rome on HBO got canceled when it did, given it was the most expensive series ever produced at that point in time.

How does a show like Mindhunter become "too expensive?"  Is it just a relative term?  You need some old cars and old wardrobe, of course, but I really don't recall too many cutting-edge special effects in this show.

It's probably relative in context of it's ratings.  This is a 4 page thread on it and the last two pages are just regarding the plug finally being pulled.  It obviously didn't do strong ratings.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Man such a case of blue balls on this. You have to resolve the BTK story. 

Would hope either Fincher gets religion with someone like HBO or at least agrees to have someone else take it over with the same cast. 

And fuck Netflix. Not paying 20 a month to watch Korean movies and cooking shows. I will let it sit for six months and see what two shows they have added that are worth shit. 

• Hook 'Em 2