Mindhunter

Goo Punch

16 hours ago, Saint Tacky said:

Anyone catch young Ned Stark as "Don't call me Elmer" Wayne Henley?  That interview and the Dean Corll murders deserved so much more time.

The actress that played Camille Bell should get an Emmy nod.  The speech in the church after the Mayor was shouted down by community members is the high point of the season.

if you like her, she is great in both seasons of secret city.  australian show so she gets to be a bit more native...

through four episodes.  more interview time please.

16 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Ramirez timeline works but I don’t know if the FBI was involved. 

Jeffrey Dahmer, Robert Hansen, and John Joubert were all killing in the early 80s and the FBI profiled all of them. I think Dahmer might be an issue unless they fast forward a little since they didn’t catch him until 1991

I don't see that being an issue at all.  They could set season 3 like five years ahead or so which takes you to the mid/late 80s and set up actually catching him in season 4.

On 8/5/2019 at 10:26 AM, Jerry Callo said:

Can't wait.  Listened to the Atlanta Monster podcast a while back and that's where Mindhunter is headed.  Good podcast, if for nothing more than background details.

Second on the "Atlanta Monster" podcast.  I am on Episode 3 and there are some notable discrepancies between "Mindhunter" - Season 2 and the events described in the podcast by those close to the investigation; but, it is riveting and fills-in-the-blanks with great detail.  Highly recommend. 

11 hours ago, sidis said:

if you like her, she is great in both seasons of secret city.  australian show so she gets to be a bit more native...

through four episodes.  more interview time please.

Camille Bell (Denverite June Carryl)

spacer.png

Dr. Wendy Carr (Aussie Anna Torv). Before I check out Secret City, does she have an expression beyond resting thizz face?

spacer.png

2 hours ago, TheStoicPaisano said:

spacer.png

Dr. Wendy Carr (Aussie Anna Torv). Before I check out Secret City, does she have an expression beyond resting thizz face?

spacer.png

Jesus fucking Christ what an idiot I am. Was going too fast. Thanks for correction. 

6 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

Tex is a piece of shit IRL. Show made him look like some innocent country boy.

Interesting.

My read on him was that he was a sociopath *playing* the "innocent country boy."  But maybe that's me watching too many murder shows where the sociopath puts on that show...

17 hours ago, Saint Tacky said:

Second on the "Atlanta Monster" podcast.  I am on Episode 3 and there are some notable discrepancies between "Mindhunter" - Season 2 and the events described in the podcast by those close to the investigation; but, it is riveting and fills-in-the-blanks with great detail.  Highly recommend. 

This podcast has taken a turn for the worse.  Two words.  "Escape goat."

Season 2 was different.  Enjoyed it a lot, but took awhile to get going.  I always assumed BTK was going to be the focus, but he is still  in the background.  I had never heard of the ATL murders so it was new to me and I stayed away from the googles for spoilers.  

Can't stand the resting bitch face Pysch.  Was she always like that last season...I can't remember it so far ago.

Sounds like they want this to go 5 seasons.  I just hope they don't have such a long gap like they did between season1 & 2.

Fuck  those sociopaths....give me the creeps.  Same with Tench's kid.

29 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

so (spoilers about BTK)

He doesn't get busted until like 2005. How they gonna run with that? 

I think Fincher has said he wants to do 5 seasons.

All it would take is each season skipping ahead maybe 5-7 years over the next few seasons and then maybe bit longer jump in season 5 and you're there:

Season one: late 70s

Season two: early 80s

Season three: mid/late 80s (Green River killer? Robert Hansen? Interviews with Rameriez? Bundy?)

Season four: early/mid 90s (Dahmer?)

Season five: early/mid 2000s (BTK)

I don’t think the FBI was involved in hunting Dahmer at all.

If I remember right, local police didn’t even realize that they had an active serial killer until one of his victims escaped and was found running for help naked with a partial hole in his head.

One of his early victims escaped too but he had been drugged by Dahmer and the fucking police returned him to Dahmer because he told them they were boyfriends and the victim was drunk and they had a fight. The victim was then murdered by Dahmer - he was 14 years old.

Dahmer would have kept killing without detection for ages because his preferred victim pool - young, gay men of color - were not a group police gave a shit about. Plus he lived in a lower class area of town where his neighbors were mostly black.

All that to say, it would be a stretch to shoehorn Dahmer in this show because the police never asked the FBI to help because they didn’t even know they needed help.

finished s2 last night.

loved season 1.  really liked season 2, but it was definitely different.

could've used more:

-helping local cops solve violent crimes - this was my favorite part of s1.  the interviews were great, but the show was really about the fact that the fbi was decades ahead of local law enforcement at that time, and they were able to use their knowledge, training, and insight to profile, identify, and hunt down suspects.  i understand the atlanta manhunt was basically a season-long version of this, but i preferred it the other way.  there was just so much atlanta for a 9 episode season of tv.

-interviewing lesser known killers - the ones they did were great, but once holden and tench were in atl, i thought the other two would continue, which wasn't my favorite, but what can you do.  they started doing some, then it kinda stopped when she was getting better (i guess once she told her lesbo story she couldn't help with any others?)  i know they're trying to keep with accuracy, but i'm fine with them making some shit up, or combining elements from certain criminals.  it's like once the main two left, no work was done in the basement.  i enjoyed the interviews they did in atlanta, but it was obvious they only threw those in to get him to the omni.

could've used less:

-lesbian lover backstory - she's not a very likable character, and was in the background in season 1.  i didn't really like holden's season 1 love story either, and don't think it's necessary for this story to be told correctly.  again, there's only 9 episodes.  it was a deflating feeling knowing there was only 7 minutes left in an episode, and seeing the show cut to the bartender's shitty apartment.  oh noes, her kid is coming over!  nobody cares.

-tench's kid and how it affected the way he did his job.  that was a fucked up story to be sure.  but tench is the old school g-man 1950's/60's guy as a perfect partnership with holden's new wave instinctual researched 1970's profile guy.  once the stuff happened with his kid, there was wayyyy too much nancy, and i was annoyed by how tench saw everything through that lens (although i'm sure in real life that's exactly the way he would see things).  he stopped being himself, which kinda sucked.  he confided in carr (which he should have) but never told holden, which created unneeded tension.  just too many things going on, and i have nothing really invested in nancy's relationship with her adopted son (and the shitty realization that she didn't cause this).

great fucking show.  really hope we don't have to wait crazy long for s3.  also hope they don't start making huge time jumps just to see how btk ends up.  rather keep the main characters.  also the very last shot of the season, in the motel...yeah.  the wife was like, "oh, before bed, can you run the trash out to the dumpster?"  i grabbed the trash, opened the door, and just left it outside to do in the morning when it's light out and the monsters can't get me.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

not only did i not care for or need either love story, both times they created these love interests who just pretty much sucked as people to have to be around/listen to. neither reminded me of anyone i would ever want to spend much time with, much less date. really detracted from the show, which otherwise is still pretty awesome. 

BC you know an uncomfortable amount of info about Dahmer. 

lol I actually just listened to an episode of the podcast “You’re Wrong About” on Dahmer so it was fresh in my mind.

I do have a weird thing about serial killers though. I’ve told the story on here before but I think it comes from the fact that one of Bundy’s Chi Omega victims was one of my childhood babysitters.

13 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

not only did i not care for or need either love story, both times they created these love interests who just pretty much sucked as people to have to be around/listen to. neither reminded me of anyone i would ever want to spend much time with, much less date. really detracted from the show, which otherwise is still pretty awesome. 

giphy.gif?cid=8fc3c897e22eb46a4c03bcbba9

You wouldn’t date Lauren Glazier?

MV5BNjcwYWNhMTQtZjFmNC00MGU0LThjY2ItOGI1

• Haha 1

oh it's not that i don't think she's hot, it's just the personality of her character. she's very...disagreeable; combative; argumentative. basically everything Holden said to her she compulsively questioned or challenged with conviction. very similar to the lesbian hobo in season two. both characters were very off putting for me, and only served to detract from the stories that i was avidly interested in. 

14 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

It's Netflix, there was going to be a lesbian relationship subplot. If you can watch a Netflix show and you count six distinct characters and none of them are gay, you already know what to expect when Character #7 walks into frame the first time.

On 8/22/2019 at 9:15 PM, TheStoicPaisano said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Watching Secret City I realized to what degree she is acting in MH. Her character in Secret City is very different from MH. She's a solid actress.

Secret City is good not great. I enjoyed it, but won't remember much from it. I increasingly like foreign settings for series. I'm watching Mantis (French murder show) now. I liked the first season of Suburra, but the second season is too convoluted.

My favorite is Money Heist (Spain) which is about the best thing I've seen in the last few years. I can't recommend it highly enough.

1 hour ago, Goo Punch said:

oh it's not that i don't think she's hot, it's just the personality of her character. she's very...disagreeable; combative; argumentative. basically everything Holden said to her she compulsively questioned or challenged with conviction. very similar to the lesbian hobo in season two. both characters were very off putting for me, and only served to detract from the stories that i was avidly interested in. 

I see what you mean. That was probably the point of their characters, to challenge the protagonist, but did it take too much time or not really add enough to the Story? Possibly 

I planned on watching this series in the week between release date and the first games last Saturday.  But finished it the first weekend.  I was hooked, again.  My favorite quote of the season:  “Seems to me, everything you know about serial killers has been gleaned from the ones who’ve been caught"- Ed Kemper.

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

I see what you mean. That was probably the point of their characters, to challenge the protagonist, but did it take too much time or not really add enough to the Story? Possibly 

I honestly think the point of their characters is filler. Like the writers are worried that we'll get bored with serial killer stuff. 

19 hours ago, Deej said:

Yep. Dahmer wasn't on anyone's radar when he was caught, if I recall correctly.

I was meaning more that they might interview him in prison while in the process of looking for someone else... e.g. what they were doing with Kemper, Manson, etc.

17 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

That's not the point. The point is that nobody cares.

Just because *you* don't care doesn't mean *nobody* cares.

I happen to find that aspect of the show interesting.  How do people who see and experience these fucked up things at work function as normal humans? How do their family/partners/whatever react to this?

It makes more more interesting fully formed characters, IMO.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

I honestly think the point of their characters is filler. Like the writers are worried that we'll get bored with serial killer stuff. 

In no way whatsoever did the writers put in "filler" on this show because they were worried people would tire of serial killer stuff. In fact most people are fascinated by serial killer stuff. 

2 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

How do people who see and experience these fucked up things at work function as normal humans? How do their family/partners/whatever react to this?

It makes more more interesting fully formed characters, IMO.

Most likely this is the reason. 

it's definitely the reason.

but i didn't get more depth from carr.  it just made me like her less.

with tench, his work spilled over multiple ways into his personal life.  he couldn't control it.  it looked like it might even help with the social worker.

but with wendy it barely came up.  just continued to show how closed off she was.  the only overlap was when she used her personal life (her ex) in the interview.