Barry: new HBO show

HiggyBaby

On 5/10/2018 at 3:31 PM, Mez2 said:

i'm slowly making my way through this, about to start episode 4, i think but just want to say noho hank is my favorite character. i would watch a series just about him

Noho Hank is the best.

His texting game is on point.

Excellent season finale. I see multiple Emmy noms in Barry's future. This show weaves back and forth from comedy to drama to flat out Peckinpah violence effortlessly. It's all over the gotdam map and excellent every frame.

8 hours ago, Celery Man said:

Oh man.  He just can't escape it, and has no ability to give up trying.

He loves acting so much (and all his new friends) that he just can't run. He has to stay and try and clean up his own mess and we just get to laugh watching him try and do the impossible. 

My favorite part of last night's episode- he wasn't pleading for Janice to not turn him in, he was pleading with her so he didn't have to kill her. 

So good. 

Just now, JimmyHoffa said:

I think it was a fantasy. Another one of his playing things out in the future in his head. 

Agree.  Her showing up at a cabin for a weekend retreat and cracking the case via FB seemed very anti Janice.  It would make sense to open up season 2 with her alive and absolutely not buying the Taylor and other dead actor masterminding a Bolivian / Chechnyan mob war.

4 minutes ago, RD3 said:

No way that was fantasy.

Correct.  All the fantasies/dreams have been from Barry's POV.  We see Janice go out to the dock without Barry, and we hear the gunshot from the room where blonde is sleeping.  I'll be disappointed if it was fantasy at this point, although I am not sure I like the killing Janice angle.

6 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

Correct.  All the fantasies/dreams have been from Barry's POV.  We see Janice go out to the dock without Barry, and we hear the gunshot from the room where blonde is sleeping.  I'll be disappointed if it was fantasy at this point, although I am not sure I like the killing Janice angle.

He was behind her while she was on the dock and he was entering the room where blonde was sleeping. Just seems odd that Janice would be open about seeing Fonzie all of a sudden when she was so secretive the past couple of episodes. 

The whole scene was odd.  It certainly felt like one of his dreams.  None of the characters were acting themselves in the scene.  Aside from Winkler I suppose.  Janice being all couples date lovey dovey, and the blonde chick not doing something to make you want to choke her out, and Barry acting normal.  Seems like it was a dream.

I wasn't saying it was a dream, more like a daydream. Like his other little daydreams about his future with annoying blondie. Although, we get a little perspective on how she might have become that way, with her abusive marriage. He may have just been trying to play out future events in his mind. Not sure it was a daydream but it would fit with his psyche. 

Not a dream, IMO.... they wrapped up the season/series in this finale by ending the mob turf war (killing Goran), saving and cutting ties with Fuchs, and Barry finding and embracing his calling.  They then time jumped and gave him a crisis (impetus) for the next season/arc/story by enforcing you can't run from your past.  Eventually it will catch up to you.  The cabin scene is intentionally supposed to feel wistful or dreamy, Barry is living his dream.  He's out of the business, he's seemingly safe, he gets the girl and he's a real actor with friends.  He's found his sense of normalcy..... but his past catches up.  Next season will be about him trying to cover up Moss' murder....

Well I googled and here is an interview with Hader it answers the question if it was real or not so don't click if you don't want to know. I will say after reading it everything makes a hell of a lot more sense. 

Spoiler

I am either an idiot or wasn't paying attention. I didn't realize the scene was from a time in the future. That makes a hell of a lot more sense now.

http://collider.com/barry-finale-explained-bill-hader/

• Like 1

I don't know if it was a dream or not but it does leave the writers with a lot of room to do whatever they want to begin next season.  Will he wake up?  Will he have to tell winkler and blondie about killing her?  Will a new police case open against him?

I also like the Hank/Bolivian connection.  If Barry is going to stick around and act for a living then he is going to keep working for them so he can have his path to emotional acting.  That or they'll keep dragging him in/out and he'll keep killing to keep them off him (i.e. he'll kill the mobsters or whatever they are).  There are a lot of places to go with this show and I fuggin like it.

I think the lazy thing to do is for him to wake up and being that the show is going to only be a few seasons (speculating) then I would assume they will take the easy route and will dive deeper into the same plot.  If that were to happen I would guess that it would end up with barry killing janice early on in season 2.

6 minutes ago, stupolvo said:

With Moss murdered (or missing - who knows how they will start season 2) police will be looking into her cell / internet history.

Should point to the cabin and her being on FBook looking at Barry's page, eh?

IMO, Barry will stage her death as a suicide or maybe even accidental.  They showed a cliff in the morning.  Maybe he throws her body over a cliff and let's the animals do their thing and her body is too picked apart to find the real COD and it's first thought she took an early hike and fell off.  You then get another detective who investigates and smells a rat....

It would be stupid if it was a dream, it would be stupid if Moss is still alive.  I realize they did literally just do the joke setup where it sounded like Fuchs was getting killed and then the torturer was just building some stocks, but to end a season like that and come back in 9 months with "psyche!" would be The Walking Dead level shark jumping and this show has been better than that.

i definitely don't think it was a dream - but here's what i fear may happen...

the cabin scene was definitely in the future (at least weeks or months), so for all we know, the second season could start after the bar scene with the actors and before the cabin, and s2 could work its way there.  the positive side is we'd get moss alive and well.  the negative is that we'd know the eventual conclusion (even if the shooting wasn't the end of season 2, but somewhere in the middle).  wouldn't be my favorite, but it's possible.

14 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

the cabin scene was definitely in the future (at least weeks or months), so for all we know, the second season could start after the bar scene with the actors and before the cabin, and s2 could work its way there.  the positive side is we'd get moss alive and well.  the negative is that we'd know the eventual conclusion (even if the shooting wasn't the end of season 2, but somewhere in the middle).  wouldn't be my favorite, but it's possible.

I haven't read the article posted but apparently it's in the open that it wasn't a dream, so I will abandon that theory, and latch on to this one.  To me it seems like it would have to have been more in the future than weeks/months.  Weeks/months is not long enough for the cop to fall of his scent, and he had a whole FB presence with charity events for the friend he murdered just a few days prior.  Plus it would be really stupid of him to put FB links to Taylor and the other guy so soon.  At all really, but a few weeks/months later is really dumb.  I definitely could see them working up to that point versus season 2 starting at the cabin with a dead cop somewhere in the woods. 

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

Doesn't sounds like it...... They're going to continue on after the time jump.  Goran and Janice aren't coming back as regular characters so best to embrace it and see how kooky this can get.  Hader has already been quoted as saying it's even darker in season 2.

We saw what Chris’ death did to Barry, so should we expect a similar reaction with Janice?
I guess I would say tune in to season 2. That’s where we started the writing process, like, “Okay, what is the fallout from that, and where’s the best place to start? How is he digesting this? How is everyone else processing it?” A lot of it comes from saying, “What actually would happen? What would these people do, and how would they behave, and what would the implications be? How would the police treat this?” So those were the questions we started asking at the start of writing season 2.